• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me about my 360...

The balancer May have slipped. Stock units do this a lot.
You would have to measure the cam at ever point to know anything about it outside of any stampings or cast in numbers.

IF the engine was an original 4 bbl. engine, even the OE 340 cam could use a replacing. They were good back then but now you could do SOOOO much better.

you do not want a 340 cam in a low compression motor on the street
agree with rumble

The balancer May have slipped. Stock units do this a lot.
You would have to measure the cam at ever point to know anything about it outside of any stampings or cast in numbers.

IF the engine was an original 4 bbl. engine, even the OE 340 cam could use a replacing. They were good back then but now you could do SOOOO much better.
My plan was to stick with the Voodoo 250. But I just got some disappointing news from the machine shop, turns out one head has three cracks in it, and the other is in serious need of a valve grind....now I have to re-assess the whole plan.

What are the pros/cons of just going with Performer aluminum heads? I'm not sure what my options are...find a set of used heads and take another gamble with time/money?? Will new heads affect the older bottom end? Ugh....I'm a bit deflated right now.

sorry about that Westie

cheapest way out is a trip to pick and pull
one head to match or a matched pair
or an you score a complete motor cheap in NC maybe a 360 magnum

or a couple of later 318 302 heads to get the compression up (for a driver not a hot rod)
or as you say some new heads

sorry about that Westie

cheapest way out is a trip to pick and pull
one head to match or a matched pair
or an you score a complete motor cheap in NC maybe a 360 magnum

or a couple of later 318 302 heads to get the compression up (for a driver not a hot rod)
or as you say some new heads
If I go with the RPM heads from Edelbrock, and stick with the Voodoo cam...what else do I need to expect to do/buy?

To find and rebuild a set of OE 360 heads would be cheaper than aluminum heads. I see no Benefit to the aluminum head at the level your planning on. The aluminum or rebuilt iron heads will not effect the bottom end. If the bottom end was broader line to begin with, the new/rebuilt heads would not blow it out.

If it were I in this spot, I’d look for old heads to rebuild.

The Edelbrock head (if purchased) would require the same parts (not exact same parts) to attach and use except pushrods that could be re used on the iron head. They use different length head bolts in some spots. So a re use of the older bolts on the iron heads could be a savings as well.

To find and rebuild a set of OE 360 heads would be cheaper than aluminum heads. I see no Benefit to the aluminum head at the level your planning on. The aluminum or rebuilt iron heads will not effect the bottom end. If the bottom end was broader line to begin with, the new/rebuilt heads would not blow it out.

If it were I in this spot, I’d look for old heads to rebuild.

The Edelbrock head (if purchased) would require the same parts (not exact same parts) to attach and use except pushrods that could be re used on the iron head. They use different length head bolts in some spots. So a re use of the older bolts on the iron heads could be a savings as well.
Thanks, is there any particular head/year that's preferable? ie, the 906 head for big block is the way to go.

Thanks, is there any particular head/year that's preferable? ie, the 906 head for big block is the way to go.
IMO, not in particular. Newer the better along side a head with the least amount of miles possible if it is possible to say that, THAT vehicle from which it came from is indeed an actual low mileage engine. Perhaps a local selller, selling the iron Indy or EQ head would be excellent!

If I had a choice of brand new castings never bolted to a block, it would be an X or U 2.02. But there 50 years old & probably impossible to find (inexpensively) new.

Seriously speaking....
Next in line is the 308 and the IIRC, 576, (forgive me, I’m tired) the last in the LA series heads would be good to look for and work with.

Some fellas have in the past retro fitted Magnum heads to the LA block. I think this is an excellent upgrade but it does have a draw back of ether a Magnum only I take and then possible AC compressor issues or drill the Magnum head to allow LA intake usage.

Considering your location, you shouldn’t have a hard time finding a JY or classified used head.

Brainstorming here
but you might ask Brian at IMM or PRH or other head guys if they know of any takeoffs
Incidentally if I was going to get a new al head I'd get them from a head guy or even get them bare and have the head guy load them up and check them, even speedmasters
not suggesting you do that cuz in your case
even late 318 302 heads would work
ARE YOUR LOCAL LKQ Pick a parts having a 40% off sale this weekend and Monday?

Auto Transport Service
Back