• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Testing dash

Bobby Goolsby

Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
How do you bench test a dash while out of the car? I'm new at this and can use all the help I can get. Thank y'all!

There is a lot to it and very hard to explain. You are finding ways to power it up just like in the car. With all the harnesses available to be plugged in you can power and ground the system and duplicate most functions. You need to be pretty tech savvy and understand all the workings to do this.

This works. Remove the dist & remove the cap with wires. Tie it down in the engine compartment & leave it hooked up. Ground the HT lead coming out of the coil. Get some 1/2" hose, can be heater hose or garden hose. A few inches long.

Get an electric drill & fit a 1/2" drill bit or similar. Hook up the hose to the dist shaft & drill. Turn on ign & run the drill. If you know the drill speed, tach should should register DOUBLE that speed.

I used 12v to check all the lights and used a variable dc lower supply to check gauge response. Someone on here had a video of their setup. I used something similar. Check my resto thread. I think I posted which power supply I used.

If you don’t have a sending unit laying around…a simple variable power supply and a battery does the trick. Set the power supply to less than 5 volts to protect your gauges and then sweep the voltage down to test gauge response.

62A56988-75BE-4784-A5DE-64648A3AED02.jpeg

Can you supply ground and power at the fuse box and test the each circuit from there?

Auto Transport Service
Back