• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elephant In The Room: unloading the load from a B-body.

Some of you may already know of these published manifestos out there, but here goes.
Deceptive is the key and it goes along with the power plant as well. That's why this book is one of the most entertaining as far as the wow factor. Some cars here are featherweights, but most are heavy. The one thing they mostly have in common is that they for the most part are heavy on the horses and power adders.

0-7.jpeg

Latest picture of Shawanda getting lightened up.
Doug

shwarma frt end.jpg

Now this is a sleeper for sure. DVW, didn't it go 14's the last time out? Pretty stout if you ask me.
Ya, it's just a 273 2 barrel. Notice those 225/70 steel belted radials mounted on the front for extra stealth.
Doug

quaker scott.jpg

Last edited:
Ya, it's just a 273 2 barrel.
Doug

View attachment 1584517
That's right, now I remember that puny 273 with snorkel air cleaner and a stock 904. Seems like the rear tires are low on air or it's getting a flat.
Wait a minute......... aren't these words some form of SLEEPER language in full affect. LOL.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here with these three editions and the info within, but then again, some useful information as well as some part numbers provided. I think any sharp reader can take a little from each of these kinds of articles and manifestos and connect all the dots.
I just wish someone could/should write a brochure like these three underneath on the 2% cars of '64 and '65. There's not much of a market for such things as there were only 8 cars total, but it would educate many on the covert beginnings of the Funny car revolution.

0-7.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here with these three editions and the info within, but then again, some useful information as well as some part numbers provided. I think any sharp reader can take a little from each of these kinds of articles and manifestos and connect all the dots.
I just wish someone could/should write a brochure like these three underneath on the 2% cars of '64 and '65. There's not much of a market for such things as there were only 8 cars total, but it would educate many on the covert beginnings of the Funny car revolution.

View attachment 1584759
I was fortunate enough to see both the Strickler/Jenkins and the Ramacharger 2% 64 Dodge's last month.
Doug

I was fortunate enough to see both the Strickler/Jenkins and the Ramacharger 2% 64 Dodge's last month.
Doug
The two ultimate 2 percenters somehow got a visit from DVW. Some people just have all the luck. LOL.

Actually I am lucky to have met DVW and his family as they not only have helped me with several things on my car, but DVW himself introduced me to Mopar royalty by the names of Ted (SPEED HEART as I personally call him) Spehar and Tom (The Ghost) Coddington a few years back. It was a dinner in Michigan that I will never forget. Thank you D.

Speaking on Spehar, this is a must read book on the infamous Missile that has a whole host of tricks and remedies that were applied to the E-body but could easily be introduced to A B-body. Fantastical images, confessions and stories right from the horses mouth.
I wish I was old enough to have hung out in that silo watching the Missile or assisting in its construction.

0-9.jpeg

just got reading that book last week great read
The recourses that they had at their disposal is mind boggling during that golden window of drag racing.
I got to see the old Trick Titanium facility and purchased a few parts and things from them in the early 90's when they were still in Troy. Stuff of legend.

Last but not least is the heaviest, and I mean the heaviest part in a car that can either be lightened, replaced or moved rearwards. It is the most difficult part of the car to talk about, but it should be addressed nevertheless. That part is THE DRIVER.
We touched on this very lightly (no pun intended) back on page one, but it is indeed important in the context of a dietary program.
In the scheme of things, it doesn't matter how light a car is because it can't autonomously travel down the track on its own, so it needs a pilot, and one that is preferably light, but heavy on the foot.
Since some of us have admitted of carrying more of our fare share of weight, it's easier said than done in trying to rid those pounds and keep them off, so in light of many broken New Year’s resolutions to trim up, perhaps this dilemma can be put to work in favorable ways this time around.

Some of us are not necessarily wider, but actually taller and that usually necessitates moving the seating rearward. Facilitating more legroom by moving the seat back not only entails making special brackets, but also finding the correct and safe way of anchoring the seats to the floorboard. The factory seat mounting bosses are essential to strength but are usually only in one spot which dictates the use of a sliding track of some kind. This would be beneficial if you can slide the position all the way back along with your weight without compromising the strength of the mount. Setting back weight, even a distance of two inches can make noticeable differences on how the car reacts depending on its tipping point. It's pretty much like setting back the engine and transmission a few inches.
In the case of door slammers, the drivers weight which is already off set to the left of the chassis should be exploited as much as possible in favor of weight distribution. Tube chassis guys have it more easily and that’s probably why flip top funny cars position the drivers in the center and rearward of the chassis.

The use of weight can work against you in one way and make up favorably in others.

Here are some home remedies that will tickle you pink as far as cutting unnecessary personal weight. Just don’t try it at home. LOL.
* Have an aluminum ignition key cut, Chrysler had stamped out thousands of blanks back in the day.
* Try and fast from eating before a race.
* Wear no underwear.
* Slip on a pair of lightweight dresser socks. Lighter than white crew socks.
* Shave that facial hair, the underarms and other hidden places, Go to the barber and get a crew cut while you're at it.
* All that $(-)it adds up, oh and speaking of that, go cut a log and that can result in a few pounds lost right there.

Last edited:
Thinking about pulling the truck rear out and installing the lighter 9" rear. Some say they weigh the same or close to it but I can tell by hefting both types the 9 is lighter without even putting it on the scale. So far I have a Strange nodular carrier, the HD pinion support, and a NOS American made set of gears.
I'm sure it's not a very popular swap amongst the purist "mopar or no-car" crowd but I raced one for 3 years with zero issues.

Gus

That part is THE DRIVER.
My replacement hip is made of cobalt and has a ceramic ball joint. Both materials are denser/heavier than bone by about 4.5x.

I could probably stand to lay off the cheeseburgers though as I am at 200lbs for the first time in my life. I don’t know how it happened either, just finally caught up with me I guess.

Exercise is the obvious answer but unfortunately I’m allergic to it.

My replacement hip is made of cobalt and has a ceramic ball joint. Both materials are denser/heavier than bone by about 4.5x.

I could probably stand to lay off the cheeseburgers though as I am at 200lbs for the first time in my life. I don’t know how it happened either, just finally caught up with me I guess.

Exercise is the obvious answer but unfortunately I’m allergic to it.
Say what?? 200 Lbs. I might want to ask you to sit in as ballast, but in the trunk. You game? LOL.
The grudge car both Rmchrgr and I saw a couple of weeks ago that allegedly weighs 2,100 Lbs might come up to a more realistic 3,300 Lbs by way of its DRIVER. LOL.
This DRIVER who I've known since childhood has always been living LARGE , but his cars have always pulled him out of a HEAVY situation via Horsepower. If I were his hired gun, the car might dip into the single digits. LOL.

All kidding' aside, we should all try to stay in good shape so that our cars don't get out of shape and we could all go back to wearing white Tee's instead of the gut hiding black Tees.

Thinking about pulling the truck rear out and installing the lighter 9" rear. Some say they weigh the same or close to it but I can tell by hefting both types the 9 is lighter without even putting it on the scale. So far I have a Strange nodular carrier, the HD pinion support, and a NOS American made set of gears.
I'm sure it's not a very popular swap amongst the purist "mopar or no-car" crowd but I raced one for 3 years with zero issues.

Gus
IIRC, a truck 60 weighs more than a passenger car 60. I'm sure that 9 will be a sigh of relief for the car. It will reward you with a 10th spot.

Finally decided to pull out the old Jensens that have been in there since this car was my daily driver. I never worried about them since they were over the axle, but I have a roll bar going in and figured it was time.
IMG_2536.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back