• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The inside of a 440-25 cross ram intake

dvw

Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
There has been discussion on the Weiand 6 brl, Factory cross ram, and the Indy cross ram. For those who haven't seen the inside of the Indy here are some pics. Some are modified to reduce plenum size. I've always run them untouched. They will support enough flow to make over 900hp. The runners have a significant amount of taper. My feeling is to keep the airspeed up. The only dyno test I made was on a 12.5-1 498 with untouched Indy -1 heads. Compared to a factory cross ram the 440-25 made 60 more hp. We started the pull at 4000. It lost nothing in torque.
Doug

FB_IMG_1584451329458.jpg
20200715_184134.jpg
20200715_184119.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one modified to reduce plenum. to be honest no one showed much improvement from this mod.
Doug
5594591-INDYEPOXYINSERTS008.JPG

Looks like a REAL race piece compared to the Weiand. Thx for sharing.

Wow, what a difference. Couldn't pay me to put any Weiand intake on any serious motor. There pieces are still from the 70's. Definitely be awesome to try out the Indy someday once I get my s**t together.

I have an old Factory magnesium Hemi cross ram. It has a gravy greenish/yellow epoxy throughout out the whole inside the plenum area and runners. Also has about 10 lbs of high temp orange silicon about a half inch thick along the whole bottom of the plenum. I am guessing this is some sort of old super stocker trick and way too keep the manifold temps cooler

The Indy Mod-Man should be included as well. There are some out there that have showed decent results. Even shorter runners than the 440-25. I believe the center plenum mod helps these. Here is a picture of one with a mod. Not sure if this is the best mod as I have not used this intake.
Doug
Modman-1.jpg

The Modman reminds me of the old Offy 360*. Those were not impressive.
Mike

This post is pure gold. One of the key reasons I like to come to this site. Thank you for sharing Doug, including great pics.

sort of reminds me of the old STR-14 or 15 Edelbrocks
manifolds of the early 70's

Hoover's mods
Edelbrock STR-14-6 Tom Hoover mods Direct Connections bulletin page 47.jpg

Hoovers tune, 6bbl
Intake 413-426w-440 Edelbrock STR-14-6 Cross Ram Tom Hoover 9-1975  jetting.jpg

they had to have mods done, the S/S guys
figured out & worked some stuff out,
the big wide open runners didn't work

old Hemi version, Rat Roaster
Intake 426ci Hemi Edelbrock Rat Roaster inline 2x4bbl Dick Landy's 70 Charger RT.jpg

I had run a few of them, single Dom,

Intake 413-426w-440 Edelbrock STR-14-4500 top.jpg

3 x 2300's & 2 x 4bbls
they worked down low really well
seemed to have issues upper RPM ranges
fuel fouling rear plugs
sort of got it sorted out
but the Edelbrock Tunnel rams were far, far better
used them in several different combos, FI or Carbs

Intake 413-426w-440 Edelbrock STR-14-6 Cross Ram Tom Hoover 9-1975 modification manifold.jpg

Intake 413-426w-440 Edelbrock STR-14 RB Cross Ram custom top with 2x4bbls inline.jpg

383-400 low deck STR-15
Intake Edelbrock 383-400 B-Low deck Str-15 #5 2x4bbl top.jpg

Intake Edelbrock 383-400 B-Low deck Str-15 #3.jpg

sort of reminds me of the old Smokey Yunick
manifolds for SB chevys too
really popular in the 70's

Intake Edelbrock SBC 265-400 SY-1 Smokie Ram Smokie Yunick Cross ram.jpg
old early 70's tech.

Edelbrock the STR Hemi Base
Intake 426ci hemi Edelbrock STR Cross ram base.jpg

or the Rat Roasters for the Hemi's of the late 60's to early 70
had great success on the speedways too

never used any INDY Manifold "yet"
may try one down the road

Last edited:
The Indy Mod-Man should be included as well. There are some out there that have showed decent results. Even shorter runners than the 440-25. I believe the center plenum mod helps these. Here is a picture of one with a mod. Not sure if this is the best mod as I have not used this intake.
Doug
View attachment 1091473

Haha , thats my intake .
I ran it on a 450ci rb , dual quad 600 eddys . It drove real nice on the street . Made ok hp , a little more than 850 4150 on a single plane , M1 ?
Was soft in the sixty at the dragstrip . Footbrake .
The filler was to see if it helped, reduced volume about 20% from 5 L to about 4L .
On the dyno we couldnt quite richen it enough , tried 4 hole spacers no gain .
I talked to the guys i bought it off and they had similar thoughts .
Either rev it , 7000 ? , on a 440ci or probably get a better result on a 500ci + motor .
This was done on a stock port head , you can open intake to max wedge . Even this might give a better result .
Still have it in the shed . I now have max wedge TF heads 505ci but am running Super Victor / 4500 carb .

PS : Doug i understand there are a few guys running them in NSS with good results .

Tex

Thanks for the thread Doug.
I have tortured myself (and some very kind forum members) for a few years now with my struggles and obsessions over intake manifolds, especially the Weiand P3690982 6bbl intake. I think I have read more data, accessed more web pages and articles about that Weiand intake than anyone on earth.
HERE'S MY LAST PSYCH SESSION on the topic, and I HAVE already made a decision:
I finally got the Weiand a while back, and it's a damn fine example of one I'll say. I have talked to guys who put the Weiand 6bbl on 7-10 years ago and are STILL running it today.
I even paid to have 2 "top cover to plenum" gaskets CNC'd so I'd have one available right away and one for backup.
Couldn't pay me to put any Weiand intake on any serious motor. There pieces are still from the 70's.
Well, to each their own, but ALL of the information I've poured over says that "other than a well engineered, hand fabricated 6bbl "tunnel ram" type intake" that compared to the various Edelbrock "STR" offerings and others, the Weiand P3690982 6bbl setup produces the most horsepower and torque of ANY of them!
Today, as I "made another investment" (aka "I spent some more money") in my 541 stroker build, I also made the decision to get the Indy ModMan with the 6bbl top, and have it opened up to MaxWedge port size to accommodate the TrickFlow 270 heads going on my 541 BMP engine.
DAMN!! I was dead set on using the Weiand, but a few things have made me see that the ModMan, for me, is a better OVERALL choice:
I really LOVE the N96 hood on my 70 Roadrunner, and I know I'd regret changing it out to...anything but what it is. The happiness I get in the experience of driving my car is because of a lot of sensory experiences, but I'll tell ya, THIS is a big one:
Screenshot_20210402-005248_Photos.jpg

I'm not the only fan of the N96...

I bought my hood from AMD, and the paint match job is beautiful. $1500 invested in that, plus the N96 parts I have, and the ones that I still need, well, to me it's all worth it. The ModMan will let me have that and an intake "that works" for me.
The MaxWedge port "thing" was a requirement that is relatively "new" to the SAGA, and that factor definitely reshuffled the deck!
So, yeah, in the last 48 hours I was looking hard at the Indy 440-25, which I had considered before when MaxWedge port size became a MUST, but I had just figured I'd get the Weiand welded up and then opened up on the cylinder head end of the runners, but Doug( @dvw )pointed out that's the opposite direction to taper an intake runner, and I know there's not enough runner wall thickness to do much hogging out on the Weiand, and if I did the 440-25 I still couldn't have my beloved N96 hood, so that's how the ModMan won out.
I even used the "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" and I called Jim Laroy for his input. TF240s vs 270s on a 541, even if my focus is on torque, just doesn't make sense.
The big 6bbl air cleaner will hide the aluminized shoe box...
If I ever go to the F&B or other 6bbl EFI, the ModMan stands ready.
For those who phoo-phoo the performance (cooler air) benefit of this kind of fresh air system, one upgrade is a taller K&N air filter element, and I'm going to use the tallest one that will fit with the ModMan. K&N makes a 3½" vs the 2¾ factory filter. K&N also makes a 4" too.
So THANKS AGAIN to all who have been on the crazy ride or at least checked in in a time or two...
At least the Weiand seems to be bringing good money!

Last edited:
With basically stock 1407 Edelbrocks the 440-25 has been 9.00@150 in real good air. Now it has real carbs. We'll find out this month if it'll get into the 8's. Not savvy enough to figure out how to pirate the Facebook video with sound. Those of you that have Facebook scroll down a few posts on my page.
Doug
https://www.facebook.com/douglas.wright.1954/

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back