• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Proper way to cook a Rib Eye steak

Funny, this is first time I’ve seen this post and just yesterday I was trying to research what the “best steak” as for a gift to my father in law.(he’s an absolute perfectionist with his steaks) Apparently it’s called Wagyu and it’s from Japan of course... they want close to $200 each for 10 oz ribeyes! I’ve watched a few YouTube vids about it and they really make it sound like it’s worth it. What do you guys think?View attachment 711766
No steak is worth $200 unless its eating the 1st ladies beef curtains!

You live in Central Illinois & should be able to get some of the best Boxed beef in the world.

All this meat & no potato?
AA41125E-D11F-4E2B-B957-26E58A115199.png
3F465396-9E0B-4741-A75D-E71E5214D1B6.png

Where's the BEEF?!

No steak is worth $200 unless its eating the 1st ladies beef curtains!

You live in Central Illinois & should be able to get some of the best Boxed beef in the world.
Haha I agree we should but look at that marbling! But even in the middle of farm country in Illinois you can’t get beef that looks like that! I probably will buy a couple as a one time thing but I highly doubt I’ll ever do it again

The only way I have New York strip on my plate is if it is half of a Porterhouse, and I am cutting it away so I can better manage the good half of that steak.
I'm saying this because I came across a "deal" on NY strips at $4.99/lb and bought 4 of them.
That was the only reminder I need not to bother buying NY strip steak! Tough as leather!
I get filet mignon from Sam's Wholesale fresh cut. I wouldn't mind the occasional rib eyes, but they have a little too much fat, although that does make them tasty!

Speaking of having "a third steak" reminds me of a trip to a local restaurant that a friend of mine and I made about 20 years ago. The place was called Crazy Johhny's IIRC and they were known for having a filet mignon for around $11. Now this was 20+ years ago, so beef wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now. They had other entrees too like grilled tuna and "barbecued" jumbo shrimp. With some "preparation" ahead of time to enjoy eating, we went there and each got a filet, and then also ordered the grilled tuna and barbecued shrimp, the latter 2 that we split. The steaks came with garlic mashed potatoes that were great too. So basically we each had an entree, split 2 more entrees, and each had the mashed potatoes....
I think the total was around $50!

Cuts of meat should be discussed? I personally I like NY cuts. Filet mignon is too lean. But one fact I do believe? If it needs to be frozen then cooked later? Rib eye. (No bone. Bone doesn't freeze well with any cut.) The freezing breaks down the fibers. But with rib eye? I believe it breaks up the marbling to release on grill. So I take rib eyes let's say at a meat raffle? Where I know it's going in the freezer. NY does ok too. Just not as well in freezer. This is just my opinion. And if there is any butchers out there? Please chime in?

Freezing meat is fine, as long as it is vacuum packed first.

De-frosting should be done naturally, not forced like in a microwave.

Electrician here, not a Butcher. Grew up on farms, never fed on cheap cuts. :D My local Butcher smiles when I walk in the door.

Calling @MarPar :thumbsup:

Freezing meat is fine, as long as it is vacuum packed first.

De-frosting should be done naturally, not forced like in a microwave.

Electrician here, not a Butcher. Grew up on farms, never fed on cheap cuts. :D My local Butcher smiles when I walk in the door.

Calling @MarPar :thumbsup:
Microwave at any point is a sin. And meat doesn't have to be completely thawed. A big ol porterhouse fresh from cut is hard to beat. But I recommend cutting bone out before freezing. And yes, air lock is superior. Especially if frozen for any extended time. I personally believe charcoal grill is best. Gas grill not far behind. The demo that started this thread has frying only to sear. Not a bad method. Especially once in awhile to present different taste.

Oh well, off to Burger King for this guy.

On "Good Eats" Alton Brown put a porterhouse on a rack and refrigerated 3 days uncovered then cooked it. Like Marpar to commit on fhat.

On "Good Eats" Alton Brown put a porterhouse on a rack and refrigerated 3 days uncovered then cooked it. Like Marpar to commit on fhat.
I think you're right about letting age alittle in fridge. But just so hard to stare at them for 3 whole days?

Auto Transport Service
Back