• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Roach

That's not a bad method, but there's no way I'm ever going to make the underside as nice as the top. Did that twice in my lifetime and that was enough. The clean & bare areas underneath will get hit with body schutz and undercoating.
I think undercoating gets a bad rap sometimes. There is no doubt it saved much of the underneath of thee 67 GTX. It has also preserved the floor of my 73 Road Runner too. Besides that, it also quiets down the car as well. If I were to build a dedicated driver car I would probably undercoat it.

Mark how is the undercoat in wheelwells? Is it cracked, if it is it can hold water/moisture and cause rust. Dipping will remove any paint protection.

Nasty job...
It will be worth it when it's done...

too bad you 'don't drink' (I rarely ever do now too)
I'd say kick back & have a beer to celebrate...

Been working on my back this weekend scraping off undercoating where the subframe connectors and frame stiffeners will go. What a miserable job.

This side is completely clean View attachment 1450952

On this side I just have to clean the residue off with lacquer thinner and test fit the frame pieces.
View attachment 1450953
Go buy a cheap needle scaler from Harbor Freight. They work awesome for removing undercoating, the thicker, the better.

Mark if you get a chance I need a pic of the bolt for this. Mine snapped and from what I can tell it has like a 1/2 inch spacer/nut in between the two pieces. Thanks Dave

20230416_192444.jpg

Took me more that a few hours. Using a propane torch, couple of different putty scrapers, wire brush and some red scotch pads plus the kitchen spoon. But by the time I was done I had filled a five gallon bucket full.

undercoating bucket.jpg

lots of work.jpg

Last edited:
I will be doing this on my back :BangHead:

Nobody here has used the needle scaler???

Would a needle scaler be to aggressive on body metal?? I have never used one but it looks like it would do some damage. Just asking.

If you have it at an angle greater than 45 degrees, it is fine.

Jigsaw UC 3.jpg

Took me more that a few hours. Using a propane torch, couple of different putty scrapers, wire brush and some red scotch pads plus the kitchen spoon. But by the time I was done I had filled a five gallon bucket full.

View attachment 1451191

View attachment 1451205

Looks good, but I'm not going through that misery of completely cleaning off undercoating the entire underside ever again.

Mark if you get a chance I need a pic of the bolt for this. Mine snapped and from what I can tell it has like a 1/2 inch spacer/nut in between the two pieces. Thanks Dave

View attachment 1451195

On my car, the bracket was removed (found it laying in the valance) and this is what the other side looked like ....

IMG_1343.jpg

On my Plum Crazy purple Charger R/T the car was from California and was not undercoated from the factory. I spent a week hand sanding the entire underside of the car removing a layer of dirt and grime to reveal most of the factory grey dip primer. I put a nice thin even coat of undercoating on it to protect it as I intend to drive it a lot. It looks clean and fresh without being overdone.

That stuff is solid as a rock. Where it was loose was behind the rear seat.
Years ago before I got ready to redo a car I had, I was out for a run and pulled out the riding crop and slapped her in the ***. As the tach light from under the cowl hood went off in my face, I stayed in it. It blew a freeze plug and all the fluid went under the car. After I got it home and it laid there for a few days, before I started to clean the bottom. The antifreeze softened up the undercoating and it came off with a putty knife down to the sheet metal and factory paint like spreading butter!! Wire brushed it lightly and cleaned the metal, ready for paint. Strangest thing and a big help all rolled into one.

I give you allot of credit, i did this stuff as a young man but now now way.

On my Plum Crazy purple Charger R/T the car was from California and was not undercoated from the factory. I spent a week hand sanding the entire underside of the car removing a layer of dirt and grime to reveal most of the factory grey dip primer. I put a nice thin even coat of undercoating on it to protect it as I intend to drive it a lot. It looks clean and fresh without being overdone.

Pretty skimpy job of undercoating. Since I'm going to have to cut the tunnel for the Tremac transmission. I think I'll removes some more from the tunnel where the transmission will sit.

D2FBE331-8270-41A0-9275-775361520F2C.jpeg

ECE78C4E-86D8-4D59-8523-727FF68B7774.jpeg

Pretty skimpy job of undercoating. Since I'm going to have to cut the tunnel for the Tremac transmission. I think I'll removes some more from the tunnel where the transmission will sit.

Sorry if I missed it in earlier posts, but which Tremec are you planning on using? The TKX? Tunnel mods should be pretty minor with a TKX

Auto Transport Service
Back