• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Roach

More goodies …..

393F62A3-1B8A-4002-9B41-4F507FB6CECD.jpeg

I always liked working on a car when almost everything I needed was in a neat pile for me to use. That's fun!!

I always liked working on a car when almost everything I needed was in a neat pile for me to use. That's fun!!

I'm trying to get a couple assemblies done fairly quickly while I still remember how it all goes together. I've got a pile of front bumper stuff along with the rear end & axles to go out to the sandblaster early next week.

My pile 'o junk to go to the sandblaster. There's 14 pieces for the front bumper alone! The 1970 bumper and grille are far more complicated than the 68-69 Charger.

IMG_1441.jpg

I left out the tubular cross bar on the front bumper of both my cars.
There still is a lot of stuff going on with this year model.

Dropped all 21 piees off at the sandblaster this morning. I also opened up all of the boxes I've received to check out what's inside.

IMG_1458.jpg

Been working on my back this weekend scraping off undercoating where the subframe connectors and frame stiffeners will go. What a miserable job.

This side is completely clean
D9DEC8A5-A89C-4985-970D-BB60F0DBE365.jpeg

On this side I just have to clean the residue off with lacquer thinner and test fit the frame pieces.
34C8ED44-BE26-422E-A839-72DBE00E543C.jpeg

Been working on my back this weekend scraping off undercoating where the subframe connectors and frame stiffeners will go. What a miserable job.

This side is completely clean View attachment 1450952

On this side I just have to clean the residue off with lacquer thinner and test fit the frame pieces.
View attachment 1450953
Just scriping no wire wheel and torch ? Mines a NY car with undercoating and I will be doing the same thing.

You should rent a 100btu or 250k propane heater. put it under the car and light it off, may need to throttle it down some. You don't have gas or interior to burn.

Here you are RC being flooded with advice on how to do this (when you perhaps are largely done!), but I'll add my experience too: :luvplace:

My buddies 67 GTX was an undercoated car; really thick in some places. The car was gutted, so we used a weed killer propane torch and directed the flame on the inside floor of the car. This heated up the metal and loosened the undercoating where it was adhered to the underside. While still hot, then we used scrapers to scrape off the undercoating - but in spots it literally almost fell off. It really worked very nicely. There are some obvious places where this didn't work like frame rails and such where you can't get to the back side, but it really made the job a lot easier.

Whatever method you choose, best of luck. No matter what, it is a miserable job...

Use a kitchen table spoon to scrape the wheel wells. It seems to be the perfect shape. Along with the propane torch.
Don’t let the misses know. lol

Just scriping no wire wheel and torch ? Mines a NY car with undercoating and I will be doing the same thing.

I used a propane torch & putty knife & I got it all scraped off in a couple hours. Just got to spend another hour or so cleaning it down bare with the lacquer thinner. I'll do that tomorrow. Toom much time working on my back gives me a headache.

Here you are RC being flooded with advice on how to do this (when you perhaps are largely done!), but I'll add my experience too: :luvplace:

My buddies 67 GTX was an undercoated car; really thick in some places. The car was gutted, so we used a weed killer propane torch and directed the flame on the inside floor of the car. This heated up the metal and loosened the undercoating where it was adhered to the underside. While still hot, then we used scrapers to scrape off the undercoating - but in spots it literally almost fell off. It really worked very nicely. There are some obvious places where this didn't work like frame rails and such where you can't get to the back side, but it really made the job a lot easier.

Whatever method you choose, best of luck. No matter what, it is a miserable job...

That's not a bad method, but there's no way I'm ever going to make the underside as nice as the top. Did that twice in my lifetime and that was enough. The clean & bare areas underneath will get hit with body schutz and undercoating.

Auto Transport Service
Back