• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad?

MprDoc

Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
I am curious, does anyone still run one of these??

I have been reading up on them and it seems like they could be a great carb to run on a street car due to the small primaries but large secondaries still being able to feed a solid amount of air into the motor.

I have a 360 with some mildly ported Magnum heads and a Lunatie Voodoo cam that I am thinking about putting one on.

Just curious what kind of experiences people out there have had with them.

yes I think there a good carb.and the class racers have them flying. But I think most people don't run them because there harder to tune and harder to work on or just never took the time to learn..Me being one of them if you know how to work on them and tune them you will be good..the Holley's are an easy carb to work on..maybe one of the class racers will tune in and tell you more..I know there's nothing that sound better wen you dump the secondaries sounds like there try to suc the hood in..Artie

I used to run the factory 360 iron setup on a daily driver 318 about 25 yrs ago and have considered it again these days because of the lousy gas that seems to be adversely affected by heat. The plastic bowl is said to keep the fuel cooler, which I'd hope will keep it from expanding and vaporizing and flooding the engine on heat soak. You can get a strip kit for them and if you're serious about running it I suggest you do. As with any Carter, pay attention to vacuum vs. the power piston spring. Also, the metering rod hanger has an adjustment but I don't recommend you mess with it right away. I say give it a go!

On another note - in general with all carbs - I found fuel pressure to be pretty important in determining overall mixture. Too high and the engine will run rich on average. My reasoning is the higher pressure will tend to over power the float and keep the average fuel level in the bowl higher. The higher fuel level is easier (requires less signal strength) to pull out of the main discharge passage and as a result that's more fuel into the engine for no reason. I am currently running 3 PSI on my stock commuter 351C Ranchero and it's fine for normal driving and the occasional on ramp blast. I was getting 12 MPG but I think now it went through the roof.

I run them on and off. I'll second Artie, you have to know them and where to adjust them. Theres a lot of points to set up even before the jet and rod changes.

Auto Transport Service
Back