• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is the Bee's last post

moperformance

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Members who have known me since the Bee-ginning of my Journey with my 69 Super Bee will undoubtedly wonder why I let her go. Especially after all of the tears and anguish that I have suffered during her build.
It started with a 6 month stay in my brother's shop in Brunswick GA to put a just released roof skin on and fix a few dents etc.
I won't bore y'all with the details but everything is documented on this site if interested?
The end result 7 years later was the final product of me doing my absolute best to my abilities. And it turned out flawless. After doing paint and body, collision work for 20+ years. The Bee was the ultimate example of my capabilities! It became an obsession to complete as perfect as humanly possible. And she was. Absolutely Beautiful.
Trouble is you can't leave the car like that alone even for a minute. Not out of your site for a moment. I cared too much to actually enjoy the car. It was like it was my "precious" haha. But seriously it wasn't a car anymore it was a work of art. So I'm happy to say she's on her way to Philly where someone with more resources that I can keep her in an air-conditioning gilded cage.
20210314_095820.jpg
20210314_095724.jpg
20210314_095750.jpg

A stunning beauty ! A tribute to your abilities and efforts ! Someone has become the owner of a work of art. I tip my cap to you for your talents.

I get it, beautiful Bee for sure! I've learned to admire these cars for what they are and fully understand what it takes to get them to that level. The one thing I do keep in mind is that they were meant to be driven! When we finished the restoration on my car it was nicer than it is today 4 years later. That's okay to me because I drive it, and that's the whole reason for the restoration! At the end of the day nothing we have is as important as the memories we make along the way. 440'

I get it, beautiful Bee for sure! I've learned to admire these cars for what they are and fully understand what it takes to get them to that level. The one thing I do keep in mind is that they were meant to be driven! When we finished the restoration on my car it was nicer than it is today 4 years later. That's okay to me because I drive it, and that's the whole reason for the restoration! At the end of the day nothing we have is as important as the memories we make along the way. 440'

This 100%

• I sold my 71 340 Cuda because of reasons like that. At the time, a nice grille was going for 2500 bucks and mine needed attention. I'm sorry I ever sold it. Had some good fun with it and even made a few laps with it at the drag strip and it was the best donut car I ever had! It also handled pretty well for having the factory stuff plus it had just a tad bit of oversteer which I like. Usually oversteer and Mopar don't go hand in hand but what can I say. Insure the snot out of it then drive the snot out of it I say!! That's what they were intended to do..

Having restored two cars in my time it sure isn’t for the faint-hearted or impatient sorts. The new finds or developments seem to never end. Getting tidbits to refit just right…goes on. I came across many complexities – ya know something different I hadn’t encountered before and the out of box thinking needed sometimes sifting the web, hardware stores, asking questions…etc. to find a solution. I sure got an appreciation of how many parts are on a car! What you’ve said rings so true pard, the car becomes a part of you. After all the get it right stuff is out of the way (discounting something more needing attention that always seems to crop up) I had more concern about it getting dinged, messed around with, leaving it parked at the store or even shows – like one might watch their toddler. Well, you must of had a hard time letting your Bee go!

Side note: After selling my mint ’67 GTO vert eons ago, it was a mistake in my mind selling it in the area where I lived. The skank that bought it kept trashing it. I’d see the car around, first with the front end partly caved in, then the next time the rear was damaged. Car looked like it hadn’t been washed after I sold it. As the car was parked in a strip mall lot couldn’t resist parking near it and walking up to view it closer. Inside was the guy’s girlfriend with her feet up on the dash and the inside looked like a garbage can, **** everywhere. The guy walked up to the car and I just had to say “What the **** have you done to my car pal…when I sold it to you – you could eat off the gas pedal”? He replied “Ain’t your car anymore.” Yep – no argument there; but said “You fit driving a piece of ****.” The next time I saw my old GTO it was in a dealer’s junk lot without a straight panel left on it, hood was heaved up, engine looked like crap, open windows to the elements, top ripped up, etc.

I went in to see about buying it; but hell…they pert near wanted what I sold it for. Without a lot of cash back when just didn’t see how I could buy the wreck. I swore after this whoever would buy any of my cherished vehicles had to live far away.

Members who have known me since the Bee-ginning of my Journey with my 69 Super Bee will undoubtedly wonder why I let her go. Especially after all of the tears and anguish that I have suffered during her build.
It started with a 6 month stay in my brother's shop in Brunswick GA to put a just released roof skin on and fix a few dents etc.
I won't bore y'all with the details but everything is documented on this site if interested?
The end result 7 years later was the final product of me doing my absolute best to my abilities. And it turned out flawless. After doing paint and body, collision work for 20+ years. The Bee was the ultimate example of my capabilities! It became an obsession to complete as perfect as humanly possible. And she was. Absolutely Beautiful.
Trouble is you can't leave the car like that alone even for a minute. Not out of your site for a moment. I cared too much to actually enjoy the car. It was like it was my "precious" haha. But seriously it wasn't a car anymore it was a work of art. So I'm happy to say she's on her way to Philly where someone with more resources that I can keep her in an air-conditioning gilded cage.
View attachment 1091073View attachment 1091074View attachment 1091075
With years invested in my own restore, I couldn't imagine not reaping the benefits of my time and energy. I will drive it, enjoy it and show it. I don't think I could ever do what you are doing. I do understand, I just couldn't do it.

We drove it 4000 miles on the 05 Hot Rod Power tour from Daytona/Kissimmee to Milwaukee and back! I threw a set of hijackers on the rear along with the wife, kid and 10 days worth of more crap than anyone had the right to. We ran 85 +mph with a 6-Pak and a 390 rear that gave us 10 mpg no matter what speed we ran. It never gave us one minute of trouble.
It was one of those once in a life time trips, and we had a blast! Running through the mountains with thousands of classic cars and little towns along the way opening up to allow everyone to drive though while people waved. It was Fun. I've owned the Bee since 98 and we have had a lot of great memories. And hopefully now another family will be able to have a lifetime of memories. It was just time to move on.................

This is why I prefer to pay less for non number's matching. And make resto. I've seen the love attachment work needed for factory correct builds. If it makes you feel better? There is one level higher classic car owner? And that's the guy that has an original that he and/or family bought. One family ownership. OMG. Its like it is a living breathing family member. One doesn't dare even speak the word "Sell." They snap back. "Would you sell your daughter?" I say. "Of course not." Them: "Then shut your dirty pie hole!"

We stopped asking our pub acquaintance who owns this family owned '69 Charger R/T to join us at a local car get together. At the pub he's "All in." But when time comes? "Ah, I think the Charger has the sniffles today. So going wrap her in blanket." It is the worse case I've seen.

Sorry to hear the tale and hope you don't regret it down the road. A one family car here (Dad's then mine) and I just got past that "can't drive it" thing really quickly after a full restoration. Too many memories in the car to just let it sit in the shop!! If I put a few chips and dings in it, well it will be my Son's problem down the road..

beedriveaug192020 018.JPG

Sorry to hear the tale and hope you don't regret it down the road. A one family car here (Dad's then mine) and I just got past that "can't drive it" thing really quickly after a full restoration. Too many memories in the car to just let it sit in the shop!! If I put a few chips and dings in it, well it will be my Son's problem down the road..

View attachment 1091192
That is a healthy view point. IMO.

I did a rotisserie resto. on my Bee in 05. It was too nice to drive, but my wife put it into perspective for me. She said you can always restore it again if needed! It's true! My car was a 48,000 mile survivor that I have driven 36,000 miles over the years. 15K since the resto. I admit that I enjoyed the car a bit more when I didn't worry about it as much.
KID

I totally agree with Dadsbee. I have done a couple of total restorations where people have said, "Wow, you can't drive that now after all that work." I tell them, If I can't honk the horn and smoke the tires, it will be in someone else's name tomorrow. I remember when I test drove my first 68 Charger R/T in Long Beach CA back in November of 67. The salesman told me, "These cars are made to go. If it don't go, bring it back, it's got a 5 year 50K mile warranty." I've been honkin' the horn and smokin' the tires ever since. Of course the warranty has been on my dime now. I never did get to use theirs.

I restored my Challenger back in 95-96, lotta work, Took a first in class at The Palo Alto Concours D'elegance in 97... At that point it already had 10K miles since I'd restored it... But back then I was spending more time cleaning & detailing than driving.... At this point I have over 100K miles since I restored it & it's still very nice, not show winning nice but still very nice...

I really like that it's a little weathered, I don't worry quite as much.. Just pay Hagerty their $$$ & drive it...

But like the dumbass that I am I'm currently restoring another car to a very high level.... I must have been dropped on my head when I was a child...

Sorry to see your Bee go but I understand.... Hope you replace it with another toy...

Trouble is you can't leave the car like that alone even for a minute. Not out of your site for a moment. I cared too much to actually enjoy the car. It was like it was my "precious" haha. But seriously it wasn't a car anymore it was a work of art. S
I fully understand and have experienced that also. I let my '70 GTX go 3 years ago now....and I do miss the car. It got to the stage where I couldn't drive it AND enjoy myself, for fear of some dickwad damaging it, or leaning on it etc. Paranoia creeps in after a while....it had already been dinged by some inconsiderate old fool of a Mustang owner - a small dint the size of a quarter in the driver's side rear panel....right smack in the middle. The silly old prick claimed he didn't know he'd done it...but a friend witnessed it. Never paid up for it either ....wanker.
Anyway, the new owner is in love with the car now, and he drives it a fair bit...I guess he doesn't have that same attachment of rebuilding it, so he has no reason to worry. Full insurance covers most things.

Enjoy the memories @moperformance ,and and enjoy your photos. The memories will live on here at FBBO. :thumbsup:

FWIW...I placed 3rd at our Concours show in 2002, the first outing for the car after the restoration. It was a 40 hour thrash by 4 of us to put the car together on Friday before the show - even after I had taken 2 weeks off work to assemble it at home. No lift...just floor jacks. My buddy (and painter) fell asleep on a bench in the circle while the cars were being judged. The judges noticed that also. :D

upload_2021-4-17_15-30-2.png

:thumbsup:

I've put several of them back together, fixed them up, made them "cars" again over the years -
but I've never been either 1)qualified or 2)well off enough to properly "restore" one, so I can't
relate to such things - but I can certainly appreciate the efforts of those of you who can and
have.
As such, I can't relate any stories of selling a prize-winning restored car, either - but I can relay
that selling any car that's had a bunch of my efforts in it has always been tough - REAL tough.

Nobody else is going to see the same level of "value" in the car that I do, after all - and rightly
so - and since it's no "points" car, the dollar value isn't there, either.

No matter. In the case of Fred, for example, he's a straight-up Frankenstein of a car - bits from
here, other parts from there.
Heck, some fellow FBBO members even have supplied parts on him, not to mention financial
investment in him. :)
He's got too much history with me, with my wife, with YOU guys - damn straight he's family...

....and he's never going anywhere as long as I'm alive. :thumbsup:

So....what's the next project??

I totally agree with Dadsbee. I have done a couple of total restorations where people have said, "Wow, you can't drive that now after all that work." I tell them, If I can't honk the horn and smoke the tires, it will be in someone else's name tomorrow. I remember when I test drove my first 68 Charger R/T in Long Beach CA back in November of 67. The salesman told me, "These cars are made to go. If it don't go, bring it back, it's got a 5 year 50K mile warranty." I've been honkin' the horn and smokin' the tires ever since. Of course the warranty has been on my dime now. I never did get to use theirs.
Had a bud with a similar experience that was in Barstow around the same time that bought a '68 Charger after he came back from nam. I met him a few years later as we went to tech school together. Same color as my Challenger - he sure had some fun stories running around out there in that Dodge. You must have had a blast!

Auto Transport Service
Back