• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on 440 source ultralight crank

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the ultralight 400-512 stroker crank? It’s a $150 upgrade from the normal one. Apparently they shave 4 lbs, some coming off the flange. For the 440 crank it seems more significant at 6.5lbs removed.

Worth it for $150 or basically something unnoticeable in most applications?

As I read the website, it's more than just milling the flange to a star shape, they undercut the counterweights to reduce that rotating mass, in addition to reducing the counterweight diameter. Seems like a good match with lite pistons. But I never had one. If you are going to really spin the motor 7000+, sounds good to me, even the better rod bolts, chamfered rod bearings also make sense to match the crank fillet radius. But I'm not spending your money!

As I read the website, it's more than just milling the flange to a star shape, they undercut the counterweights to reduce that rotating mass, in addition to reducing the counterweight diameter. Seems like a good match with lite pistons. But I never had one. If you are going to really spin the motor 7000+, sounds good to me, even the better rod bolts, chamfered rod bearings also make sense to match the crank fillet radius. But I'm not spending your money!

I definitely want the upgraded rod bolts, chamfered bearings, and will probably go with aluminum main caps. I already have their girdle setup.

It adds up for sure, but I’d rather do it right while it’s apart.

I definitely want the upgraded rod bolts, chamfered bearings, and will probably go with aluminum main caps. I already have their girdle setup.

It adds up for sure, but I’d rather do it right while it’s apart.

What you get from the ultralight option is a motor that will spin up quicker. Is that important? It also MAY be easier on the bearings.

Their aluminum main caps are not machined to the 440's main bore size, they're low deck size. So you have to find a shop that can machine them - good luck with that. You're better off spending a few bucks more for another brand like Indy's.

I think he is saying the aluminum main caps wil be machined for the low deck crank size. Maybe I'm wrong. I read the Source site saying the caps need to be machined for the crank you have.

I thought what I was saying was pretty clear !!!

Stay away from aluminum main caps
Would you just stick with the stock caps? That’s my plan otherwise. I just heard the aluminum caps help absorb some shock and help the main webbing survive longer. Realistically my goal is 600 hp/ 600 ft lbs and it probably won’t see too much hard abuse since it’s a street car.

I definitely would prefer to do it right the first time and not have to mess with it later though.

Even manufacturers of aluminium blocks fit steel caps - they must know something. Stock is better than alloy.
A correctly clearanced stock set up with studs is most likely going to be fine.

Would you just stick with the stock caps? That’s my plan otherwise. I just heard the aluminum caps help absorb some shock and help the main webbing survive longer. Realistically my goal is 600 hp/ 600 ft lbs and it probably won’t see too much hard abuse since it’s a street car.

I definitely would prefer to do it right the first time and not have to mess with it later though.
Yes especially if block is 67 or later

Yes

I wouldn't bother with the light weight crank. Heck my new pistons are over 100 grams heavier than the old ones. That's close to 2 lbs of weight that is starting and stopping at a very high rate. Car just went 8.98 best ever.
Doug

If your car is heavy it will probably go better with the heavier crankshaft. A good balance job needs to be done in any case.
The lighter crank just helps the engine speed up a little faster.
If it was a very light car such as a Super Modified or something like that it would a good idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back