• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Snow performance water injection

hemiEssex

Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
Where I live in Northern BC it is increasingly difficult to find good high octane fuel. So I am considering putting a Snow Performance water/methanol injection kit on my 65 Coronet. It is 10.5.1 compression and I sometimes get some detonation. The timing is turned back and the mileage and performance suffers. The kit is 500.00 and I can put it in myself. My buddy is running one on his 512 wedge drag car and he runs it on 94 and with the injection his engine tuner can run it like it has 114. I do not want to go that radical, but it would be nice to run 87 octane with the booster and know that the engine is running cool and safe and put some more timing back in for power and mileage. The motor is a stock HP 440 68 with headers, comp cam, eddy manifold 670 holley, MSD ignition, 2500 stall. Any thoughts?? Am more concerned with getting a consistant fueling and not getting any preignition. I know I could change heads, pistons, etc. and lower compression but I would like to try this cheaper route first as it is not the only car I have and I want to spread the funds out.
cheers
Steve

Meth injection no matter what make works great. Do you want it running all the time or like a WOT. It does richin the fuel mixture, but it will help with detonation due to the charge being cooler. Running 87 would be fine. Nothing againt snow and I don't mean to drop company names but if you check out AIS alcohol injection systems and talk to rodney they can set you up with a kit for your set up where most others are universal kits.

Snow's kits are good. I looked into them a while back. A friend just bought one and they have adjustments ofor the rpm or pressure at which the unit works. They have been around for over 10 years and have been used on some really hot applications as well as stock.

Where I live in Northern BC it is increasingly difficult to find good high octane fuel. So I am considering putting a Snow Performance water/methanol injection kit on my 65 Coronet. It is 10.5.1 compression and I sometimes get some detonation. The timing is turned back and the mileage and performance suffers. The kit is 500.00 and I can put it in myself. My buddy is running one on his 512 wedge drag car and he runs it on 94 and with the injection his engine tuner can run it like it has 114. I do not want to go that radical, but it would be nice to run 87 octane with the booster and know that the engine is running cool and safe and put some more timing back in for power and mileage. The motor is a stock HP 440 68 with headers, comp cam, eddy manifold 670 holley, MSD ignition, 2500 stall. Any thoughts?? Am more concerned with getting a consistant fueling and not getting any preignition. I know I could change heads, pistons, etc. and lower compression but I would like to try this cheaper route first as it is not the only car I have and I want to spread the funds out.
cheers
Steve

Snow makes a good product and their technical guys are on their game. I ran a meth kit on a pump gas, nitrous injected, and iron headed 496 BBC. I ran the kit for much of the same reason to make sure I did not detonate the motor while using pump gas and nitrous. Worked great and never had a problem.

My buddy put a Meth/Water kit on his 04 GTO. It is forced inducted. He was having detonation issues due to intake heat soak. The car was pulling timing and losing a lot power. He installed the H2O/Meth kit and holy crap what a power difference.

the fun thing also is going full meth, you really notice a difference.

meth injection is great for racing applications,and especially with forced induction.it can be very hard to get adjusted on a carburated street car.it can take a ton of fine tuneing,so i hope you have the knowhow or easy access to someone who can help.

cheers
Steve

I love the concept, but question the driveability on the street without constant adjustments to the system. Are you running 906 heads? What about a simple aluminum head swap?

As far as streetabilty it will work, more then likely you'll have to run it off a WOT switch and talk to snow to see what jet size they would recommend for your setup. Force induction is a bit easier to have the meth spray earlier cause you can set it to a certain boost psi to come on.

The meth injection does wonders for boosted or nitrous injected engines that have a need on demand situation. I would not rely on the system to save a naturally aspirated engine from detonation under normal use. Talk with the experts about your particular needs. You never know they may have something that will work for you. I used a WOT switch for my nitrous application along with a myriad of electronics(MSD DIG 6, MSD 8975Digital retard, and NOS 2 stage mini controller).

Auto Transport Service
Back