• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for a newer truck

64Belvedere

Local time
1:28 PM
Reaction score
Ok, I currently have an 06 Dakota crew cab 4x4 with the 4.7. I bought it new in '07 and it now has 91k Kilometers(55K miles or so I guess). Going to upgrade the camper so I'm looking at a low milege '12 '13 or 14 ram as the dakota just isn't heavy enough. Anybody have any major issues or problems with the newer Rams? I want to get a real world idea of what they are like as a daily driver. The GMC is my second choice but they are an extra 10K up here.

I've been a chevy truck guy my whole life until I had to replace 3 camshafts in my 2009 1500 in 2 years. All under warranty but it just wasn't reliable anymore. Not bashing chevy just saying that I went to a Ram Laramie in 2015 and the 5.7l gets better mpgs than my chevy with more power and throttle response; granted it has an 8 speed. Also has a ton of more interior room. Regarding the mpgs, it gets about 1.5 mpgs more on 89 octane than 87 and it definitely knows when the refiners go to winter blend.
Only drawback is there is no damned dipstick for the tranny.
Hope this helps.

I know a few with the newer Rams, but I can't speak 1st hand...

I do like the new Power Wagons & the Rebel's,
everything I've read {& been told} they had a great ratings,
great results etc...

Motor Trend just had a good write up on a trip they took
in Nova Scotia or something way up north, 3 trucks
all 2017's a new Raptor, a Colorado & a Power Wagon, all 4x4's
the Power wagon finished 1st
of what they all liked or disliked, the Power Wagon was tops &
if you know/read Motor Trend they are pretty damn
serious {picky} persnickety {nit picky} too...
I was actually shocked, they are usually pro Ford & Chevy
writers/hacks...
Raptor finished 3rd/last {to my surprise} & the Colorado was 2nd...

Maybe also go to www.fortrucksonly.com ,
some great guys over there too, BUT;
it's kind of slow, it may take a while for an answer...

Good luck with the decision...

If you are serious, get a 2014 or newer with the 8 speed auto transmission. The gearing is better than the previous 5 and 6 speed A/T.

I've been a chevy truck guy my whole life until I had to replace 3 camshafts in my 2009 1500 in 2 years. All under warranty but it just wasn't reliable anymore. Not bashing chevy just saying that I went to a Ram Laramie in 2015 and the 5.7l gets better mpgs than my chevy with more power and throttle response; granted it has an 8 speed. Also has a ton of more interior room. Regarding the mpgs, it gets about 1.5 mpgs more on 89 octane than 87 and it definitely knows when the refiners go to winter blend.
Only drawback is there is no damned dipstick for the tranny.
Hope this helps.

Screw GM
Defaulted on a multi-billion dollar Bail Out LOAN

The Chevy also have had problems with loose piston clearances causing piston slap.
And it seems they all have become rolling rust.

About six months ago, my 04 Hemi Ram was in a fender bender and the body shop gave me a loaner 2016 Ram and I gotta be honest... I drove it for about a week and a half and, while the 8 speed tranny seemed cool at first, I really got to dislike it the more I drove it... it shifts gears constantly and you never feel like you're moving through a power band.. it's not like the shifts are quick and snappy either..My shop truck is a '13 F-150 4x4 and is simply the best riding and driving pickup I've ever had..If I was going to buy a new one, I'm afraid to say that my choice would be the Ford... and I love my 04 Ram always have, but I'm not impressed with the latest iteration of Fiat/Chrysler/Ram whatever they're calling themselves now...

Ok, I currently have an 06 Dakota crew cab 4x4 with the 4.7. I bought it new in '07 and it now has 91k Kilometers(55K miles or so I guess). Going to upgrade the camper so I'm looking at a low milege '12 '13 or 14 ram as the dakota just isn't heavy enough. Anybody have any major issues or problems with the newer Rams? I want to get a real world idea of what they are like as a daily driver. The GMC is my second choice but they are an extra 10K up here.
How's the 4.7 motor holding up?

I can relate I love my
99 Dakota SLT 5.2ltr/318 O/D 44RE-Tf 3.54 gears
I only have 58k miles, but I've done a few mods to boost the power,
Hypertec tuned, TB swirl spacer, AEM Air box, 4" tube K&N filter,
1.7:1 HS roller rockers, 32 x 11 A/T tires & slotted rotors, better pads,
Edelbrock shorty headers, puts out to the axle, what it use to at the crank...
Made it far better to drive up here in the mountains,
next will be a 3.90:1 gear change, sooner or later, better shocks etc...
It fits in a smaller garage too, a full-size truck,
unless it's a short bed std. cab would be tight...
I like my stuff indoors for the snow/winter & hot summer...

Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

But I have a 2002 F-350 4x4 Dually extra cab 7.3ltr Powerstroke 5 speed,
with a few minor mods for anything else, I need a bigger truck for...
It's out in the side carport, my dad loves driving it
{old school bus driver, after he retired from construction}

Budnicks 2002 F350 4x4 dually #1.JPG

I love the maneuverability & handling, ease of parking,
great off road, snow capabilities, of the midsize Dakota,
IMO for a DD, it's way better than driving the bigger trucks...

Like the best of both worlds, but like I said;
I have another real full size/oversize truck...

Last edited:
I forgot the main reason I was gonna' post again :BangHead:

IMO, Campers suck, any trailer, tag or 5th wheel is far better IMO

unless you're just talking about a camper shell,
then no big deal the Dakota & 4.7 even would handle that fine

I've had all types of RV's, trailers & even campers,
take my word for it, campers suck !!
especially if they stay on it all the time, they age in dog years
it completely ruins the drivability, mileage, every aspect of
wear & tear etc. on the truck too...

my $1.25

good luck