• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing changes when I tight distributor

When I look at the picture with all the grime in the opening I see an area that has compressed grime and the bottom of the opening. That could be where you adjustment is changing. The grime can hold up the weight of the dizzy but when you tighten it, it pushes the dizzy down changing the timing...just a thought...

That is just burned up oil it is on almost every one I rebuild, it is just in the case "vanes" Hey you ever check if the timing chain has slack?

That is just burned up oil it is on almost every one I rebuild, it is just in the case "vanes" Hey you ever check if the timing chain has slack?
I haven't checked the timing chain. The car has around 90,000 miles, so it might be due to be checked in the near future.

LOL watch it be that simple know how to easily?

Is it me or the pic itself that shows some wear on the slot in the drive gear? Maybe that block bushing isn't all the way seated & the dist. is bottoming out?

The only method I know to check the timing chain is to remove the cover, so I'm all ears if there's an easier way.
Put the distributor in and leave the cap off, turn the engine by hand until the rotor tunes mark the harmonic balancer at top dead center on the timing tab, any where on the balancer it is just a reference mark. then turn the motor the other way until the rotor turns, should not have any more than a few degrees of slack, that is a quick down and dirty, if more say 5-10 you have to open it up and see what is going on in there,

I always put in 5 degree offset key to advance the timing, then as the chain stretches, it only comes back to factory spec.
Helps low end torque,.
Checking stretch is easy.
Turn crank with bolt and breaker bar.
Go back and forth and see at the distributor how much crank movement does/doesn't move the distributor.
There will always be a little.
When you get to more than 10 degrees, it's time to think about chain replacement.
Slipping a tooth or two, you get a motor that won't start.
Slipping one tooth you may find the motor has much better high rpm performance, but has no guts at low rpm.

Cleaning the dirt and old oil around the base of the dizzy and installing a new gasket made a big difference. Problem solved.
I will check the chain slack next.

Bad ground will make it jump around with points. Glad you got it going.

Auto Transport Service
Back