• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tire/wheel size

Basket case

Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
asking for a computerless buddy
he has a '66 Belvedere I post car. how big of a tire & wheel can he fit in the rear? doesn't want to cut anything up. what kind of back space?
thanks!

You didn't state what wheel size he would like to use...14" (original dia.), 15", 18"(maybe he is trying to clear large disc brakes?),...etc.

It is a bit of a dance, matching up tire and wheel combos to get the fitment on the `66s and `67s. Since these cars have a narrow(er) wheel house, the wheels' backspacing also plays a critical part. I can tell you what I am running on my `66 Belvedere II (same wheel house): a P255/60 mounted on a 15x7 with 4.25" back-spacing. This tire is 27" tall and I have a little less an inch between the outer wheel house/ fender lip and tire. There is a good inch-and-a-half between the inner wheel house and tire. If I had a wheel with 4 3/4" or 5" back-spacing I'm confident I could fit a P275/60. That tire is a good 28" tall.

before buying mine I test fit a P215/70 mounted on a 15x8 wheel with with 4 1/2" back-spacing and could barely get my fingertips between the tire and wheel lip.

The long of the short of it...The less back-spacing in the rim, the less width you can run...this applies to both wheel and tire. The more back-spacing, the wider of each you can run...to the point you run out of room in the wheel well.

Finally, the last wrench to stick in the spokes:
Not all tires are exctly the same width. A Cooper P255 may be a half inch wider than a BFGoodrich P255. You need to find the mfg specs if at all possible...especially if you are trying to push the outer limits of fitment.

Here is a cool site that allows you to play with tire and wheel dimensions. You can even play with two tires side-by-side in the evnt you want to run different sizes front and back.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Have I helped, or just added to the confusion? :icon_neutral:

Attachments

• 66BELLE.jpg
    66BELLE.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 66BelvFront Pass.jpg
    66BelvFront Pass.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 326
Auto Transport Service
Back