• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torq Thrust D rims and backspace? (sorry, I had to)

Piranhaz

Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
I hate to even ask this because I have been reading for like 2 hours on here and multiple sites to try and find my answer. So if I go on American Racing site and put in my 66 Coronet, set the "what fits my vehicle" option, it comes up with 15 x 8 with 4.5" backspace. After reading a 100 pages of questions and answers on this particular rim and tire fitment (most guys say go with 255/60-15), I kinda thought that's what it would say. So I figure I'm done and I'll go check Summit and see what they cost. Well, if I put the P/N from American Racing in and then do "check fitment", it says they won't fit. Now I would lean more towards believing the manufacturer of the rim, but wanted to get one last say here (hopefully). My car is bone stock and mostly original. I don't really care about "getting the biggest tire I can" in there. I just want these rims don't want to worry about tires rubbing. So can I go with the 15x8 with 4.5" BS and just run like a 235/60-15 and be safe? The other option is to go 15x7 with a 3.76" BS.
Sorry for starting another thread, but I'm just not finding what I need.
jaEtMZgXmvObgIkuQEonTLOc0Akd1BGc8RgGLhU_swwj7WWb0rj20NrX4KJbcRn3yb_DUlCE=w954-h390-no?authuser=0.png

A 255/60/15 would work without any problems. I run a 275/60/15 drag radial with a 15x8 wheel and 4.75 backspace.

I'm running 245/60/15 on my '66 Satellite on 15x7 TT D. I couldn't get a 255 in there without some rubbing up high in the wheel wells, but your Coronet might have more room.

Image-1.jpg

im waiting for a member to ship me a set of wheels from a 67 coronet,and i pmed him and asked him to post about rim sizes for you.
he had 17 x 8-s on his but seemed Very aware of what fit and didnt.
@SlinktRR
or,
everytime i see>> 67 coronet,i think of @Jerry Hall

15x7 4 1/4'' backspace running 70 series BFG, 235 front 255 rear..Plenty of room with no rubbing.
The problem with the 66-67 is the rear wheel wells are small/tight.
The other problem is Ma Mopar didn't pay much attention tolerances so each car is a bit different.
Almost all Mopars have one side that is tighter fit than the other. Usually the passenger side.
IMG_2736.jpg

Cool car. Love the '66 HEMI and '65 Plymouth as well. First let me say that I have zero experience with your body style. I think your best bet is to try to find a friend that has a pair of wheels and tires that you can try. If that is not possible, measure what you have on the car now. See how much room you have from the fattest part of the tire to the leaf springs, then see how much room you have on the fender side. Don't forget to look up high in the wheel well as they often taper inwards. A plumb bob is a helpful tool here. You can make one with a string and a nut or washer. I have a '64 Fury Convertible. I just installed a pair of 15 x 8" steel wheels (4.5" back spacing) with M & H street slicks. They rub a bit on the fender side. As a side note...I have run 15 x 7" Americans with Radir 8" slicks. They are roughly 29" tall. They did not rub at all. Not sure of the back spacing on those, but I believe they are centered. Also don't forget to check for clearance at the front edge of the wheel well. Good luck.

I have a 1967 Coronet R/T and run 215R70 X 15 on the front and 235R70 X 15 on the rear on 15 X 7 TorqueThrust with no clearance issues. I believe these '66 and '67 B-bodies have about the tightest wheel wells of any of the Mopar musclecars. Watch for tire clearance at leading edge of front fenders if using taller tires. Fatter tires will rub on front frame rails at full turn.

My 2 cents, we have a 66 Coronet sedan and ran 255/60/15 Cooper Cobra on 8" Torque Thrust w/ 4.5" backspace, just a touch of rubbing occasionally on the passenger side (1/2 difference side to side).
Switched to 7" Torque Thrust w/ 235/70/15 BFG and it was worse because of less backspace on the 7" rim (3 1/2" I believe.)
We will be going back to the 8" eventually...

I have a 1967 Coronet R/T and run 215R70 X 15 on the front and 235R70 X 15 on the rear on 15 X 7 TorqueThrust with no clearance issues. I believe these '66 and '67 B-bodies have about the tightest wheel wells of any of the Mopar musclecars. Watch for tire clearance at leading edge of front fenders if using taller tires. Fatter tires will rub on front frame rails at full turn.

This is the setup I am leaning towards but what is your backspace? I had planned on just running the 215/70 front and back.

My 2 cents, we have a 66 Coronet sedan and ran 255/60/15 Cooper Cobra on 8" Torque Thrust w/ 4.5" backspace, just a touch of rubbing occasionally on the passenger side (1/2 difference side to side).
Switched to 7" Torque Thrust w/ 235/70/15 BFG and it was worse because of less backspace on the 7" rim (3 1/2" I believe.)
We will be going back to the 8" eventually...

See comment above. This is exactly what I was thinking but you can only get the Torque Thrust in a 15x7 with a 3.76" backspace. So in reality, going with the 15x7 with 3.75" backspace, I should gain 3/4" clearance on the inside and .25" clearance on the outside over the 15x8 with 4.5" backspace (if I did my math right).

My wheels are actually Jeg's Sport Torque, their Torque Thrust knock-off. I looked up the spec's and are same as Torque Thrust with 3.75" back space.

P2070041.JPG

My wheels are actually Jeg's Sport Torque, their Torque Thrust knock-off. I looked up the spec's and are same as Torque Thrust with 3.75" back space.

View attachment 1214047
Perfect. I think that's exactly what I am going with then. 15x7 with 3.75" backspace. Thanks for the info!!

Would I be able to run the 235/70 in the front as well? Wanted to keep the wheels the same all the way around.

I ran 255 on 17x8 with 67 GTX stock spring location. The 7" rim may pinch and distort the side wall where it may rub. an 8" rim fits the 255 tire width better. Need to run the 8"

Perfect. I think that's exactly what I am going with then. 15x7 with 3.75" backspace. Thanks for the info!!

Would I be able to run the 235/70 in the front as well? Wanted to keep the wheels the same all the way around.
I would buy a pair of the 235's first and mount them on your rims. Then, bolt them to the front of your car to see if you have clearance problems. They might snag on your front fender edge as you turn your steering. They might also rub on the rear of your front frame rails at full turn. That way, if they do interfere, you can mount them on the rear, and buy 215's for the front.

I would buy a pair of the 235's first and mount them on your rims. Then, bolt them to the front of your car to see if you have clearance problems. They might snag on your front fender edge as you turn your steering. They might also rub on the rear of your front frame rails at full turn. That way, if they do interfere, you can mount them on the rear, and buy 215's for the front.
That is a great idea! I'll be ordering the rims tomorrow and probably go with Cooper Cobra tires.

I run TT 15x6 front and 15x8 rear. Front tire is a 215-75-15 and rear tire is Mickey Thompson 28x10. Rear bs is 4.5.
Ron

66Satellite103.JPG 66Satellite104.JPG 66Satellite115.jpg 66Satellite116.jpg

Scoop was on from previous owner.
Ron

You guys do know that american racing has a custom shop, where you can order any backspace (within reason) that you want? I bought a pair of15x12 torque thrust with 3 1/2 backspace. Custom wheels will NOT be cheap. And of course, they will be two piece.

Auto Transport Service
Back