• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar being mysterious

Larry Chilese

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
68 RR off the ground-I have rebuilt entire steering-from column too steering gear, ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm etc.all new. I had one torsion arm out to replace steering and loosened the other to remove control arms.
With everything installed as I spin up the torsion bar bolts the steering gets progressively harder and harder to move. Which should not happen. Something is putting a load on the control arms. I loosened the cam bolts - nothing. Should the car be on the ground before adjusting the torsion bars?
Any advice would be helpful

68 RR off the ground-I have rebuilt entire steering-from column too steering gear, ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm etc.all new. I had one torsion arm out to replace steering and loosened the other to remove control arms.
With everything installed as I spin up the torsion bar bolts the steering gets progressively harder and harder to move. Which should not happen. Something is putting a load on the control arms. I loosened the cam bolts - nothing. Should the car be on the ground before adjusting the torsion bars?
Any advice would be helpful
You stated that you rebuilt the steering system. Did you also rebush the suspension? It shouldn't matter if you get a start on torsion setting up in the air but, it must finish on the floor to obtain correct ride height. Load on the control arms should not affect the steering. Maybe a couple of photos will help with the diagnoses?
Mike

Did you check the new idler and Pittman with the old ones to make sure they were the same, make sure the idler isn't overly tight. With the tortion bars loose, no load does the steering turn easily ??

Last edited:
the majority of the new parts were dimensionally different from the old ones-mostly in thickness, but the idler was shorter and needed a shim, the pitman was a a complete change, I called the supplier when I got it, they said it would work with the new steering gear. I'm going to re-install the old pitman and idler-see if that makes a difference and maybe I can identify the problem. Photo shows new and old pitman-new on left.
DSC01135.JPG

the majority of the new parts were dimensionally different from the old ones-mostly in thickness, but the idler was shorter and needed a shim, the pitman was a a complete change, I called the supplier when I got it, they said it would work with the new steering gear. I'm going to re-install the old pitman and idler-see if that makes a difference and maybe I can identify the problem. Photo shows new and old pitman-new on left.View attachment 970620
TA DA!
Mike

I always take some weight off the front when adjusting torsion bars , I believe it is easier on the bolt and the block it screws into just my .02

I always take some weight off the front when adjusting torsion bars , I believe it is easier on the bolt and the block it screws into just my .02
I like to antisieze the screw and ball end.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back