• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion Bars - Do or Do Not ???

stanhope55

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
Can I replace the torsion bars while I am replacing my floor pans ?

The engine is out, doors off, hood and deck off so very little weight in car. Actually nothing but structural metal...... I thought I could put car up on jack stands then replace torsions while I have good access ? Basically I am trimmed out all the floor and left the tunnel in tact till I get an answer !!!:icon_eyes:

Good or Bad Idea ? If bad would like to know why ?

Thanks for the help.

jack it up..release the tension...remove the locking clip at the rear, slide it out...

Now you have him expecting them to slide right out..... I know for a fact they usually don't "slide right out" without at least a little bit of persuasion.......

Some do, some don't. He might just get lucky.

If he lives in the rust belt where I think 'Far Away' is...then I bet they won't slide out lol. Heck. I've had trouble getting them out on southern cars before. I even made a tool for that but someone that I guess needed it more than I did borrowed (stole) it and that was the end of that. An old pair of vise grips with a folded piece of aluminum will work most times if you don't have to beat the snot out of it. You will also most likely need a new pair of boots for them too.

on top of what cranky said,take a stiff pic and dig out all the old grease in the holder.same place you pull the clip at.makes pulling the bars much easyer.some times a shot or two of brake clean works wounders as well.

Stanhope55 I have one I could ship out to you if you can't get them out as long as it gets shipped back to me. I made my own tool its awesome, easy installation, and theres no torsion bar thats not going to come out. Let me know if your interested and where to ship it. Lenny

Make sure the tension arms are fully disengaged. I had to pry them down after releasing the tension. I found this out after I hammered the crap out of one of them before it finally let go. The other one came out AlOT easier

That is a another good question, stock 65's in it at present.... what are you all runnin in yours..... ??

What are the options ??

I think the largest size in 68-70 B bodies was .92" which is what is still in both my cars, 70 Road Runner w/ A31 susp and 68 R/T. They have always seemed plenty stiff with the 440's in them. PST, FF, hotchkiss make larger, re-indexed ones and there are MP .96" available. For the most part the engine size that came in your car originally determines what size T bars it has. I may go to larger T bars like .96's in future but for now will probably stick with the stock ones. If your car came with smaller than .92 you may want to move up depending on your engine size (weight).

Here's a pretty good basic article on Mopar suspensions and upgrades

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/suspension/mopp_1210_stock_suspension_upgrades/

pretty good discussion here

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7003899&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

..this thread is 6 days old surely the man has moved on to another step in the build by now..

..this thread is 6 days old surely the man has moved on to another step in the build by now..

He asked a follow on question and I answered it when I saw it. Not everyone works at the speed of 71airgrabber

for sure....just posting for giggles...this wet spring and summer has put me quite behind in what I wanted to get done also....

I hear you brother. My lack of time saving equipment and facilities impairs me more than the weather but the weather is gonna start impairing me more pretty soon also

I am pushing myself for the next couple week to complete the body of a Mini Moke and am putting the finishing touches to the very inside metal today...and hope to get it in primer come tomorrow..then it is just pontoon tops and sides...this little critter came to me for basic support repair where the double walled metal was rusted so to have strength for the suspension..it has grow from there to discovery of a complete bondo bandit..many hours oc cutting and welding later..we getting close...THEN on to my projects..Winter is quickly approaching..I have my cars indoors..this one I am working out of door and kept under triple layer tarps...

Auto Transport Service
Back