• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

toss the poly 318 for 360?

360 is externally balanced engine, which will require welding weight to proper location on the torque converter. Mounting lugs on engine are in different location as well.

Minting lugs on the block between the Poly and the 360 are different. However, use the poly mount on the 360 with a nut slipped over or screwed on the bolt to take up the space. While it is not the most cosmetically appealing look, it does the job well.

The torque converter issue of welding weights, is something I would not bother with since either a B&M flexplate can be used or a new converter can be purchased to suite the new build. Screw welding!

440 all the way !

Keep the stock poly for now, and save up your money for a 440 Big Block, although your poly is original, it wont add any value to your car, "Dont waste your money" a 440 would "Add Value", like a 426 Hemi would add even more value, i've made that mistake befor. my 2 cents

I just don't get this mindset. This is what the followers do. I walk down the show car lines at Carlisle looking at the mid-sixties Mopars that have been redone. 95plus percent have done as you said, replaced their Poly for some gas guzzling big block that they can hardly drive due to needing racing gas or getting 10 miles a gallon. If you want a nice driver engine for your car fix the Poly. I don't get doing what everyone else has done, dare to be different. Look at the majority of the advice on here, which thought the best solution was to keep the engine that came in the car.

Moparcrazy I wouldn't trade my poly for two of your common as fleas on a hound dog 440s. To each his own.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is one-of-a-kind master piece! Beautiful and unique to say the least...nice!

I just don't get this mindset.

It's easy, swap out the old hard to get parts for weird looking non fan fare engine for something bigger better stronger faster and easier to get parts for as well as something many know what it is on sight instead of asking, "Hey, what is that thing?"

That last description is the most popular thing in many a peoples eyes. They know what the engine is. They don't care if it is stock but even better if it is. Though they 'know what did come in the car when it was built. Any possible buyer or admirer just see's a big block and goes OOOOOO! while stroking his twizzle stick.

That same person will pass on a Poly car for sale even though that engine belongs there and opt. for a whatever because it is what it is. An "LA" or B/RB engine. Only people interested in a completely stock car and numbers matching will care. That is what? Less than 5% of those walking around with money to purchase? At best?

Your car your way. That's the bottom line. I'd do the Poly myself though a engine swap isn't out of the question either.A lot depends on what is being done.

I have a poly in my Belvedere and i like it,its pretty good on fuel,it has a four barrel ,and the pertronics in the distributor,I could drive my car from Canada to Florida without any worries.Thats just were im at ,

poly all the way ..I have a 65 coronet with the poly and its the 4th poly motor I own and I love them if you go to the 62-65 mopar website theres a bunch of folks hotrodding them up and 400 hp is not that hard to make with one I owed a 66 power wagon with the poly motor and that old truck was stout I have a 1960 dodge truck that I am just finishing up with a poly swap cant wait to drive that the wife says I can sell her vette if I let her have the 60 truck and I say done ,,anyone want a 79 vette???

I have to go against the grain of most everyone elses thoughts.

If you can get a 360 for cheap. Parts available for it (and upgrades) are EVERYWHERE for it. My 66' Coronet had the Poly in it and I rocked that beast for 4 years. It was a solid reliable motor. I upgraded the ignition but man alive did I beat my head trying to find anything to make it a little quicker. If you don't mind paying a "little" more for parts, the poly is a fun motor and a great conversation piece, but that's all I found it to be. Intakes are rare and hard to find, with that you pay the premium price for them. If you want something even as simple as valve covers, good luck and you better save up twice as much as what you just paid for the intake. I ended up going big block and havent' turned back since. The poly's a great motor but the headaches I endured trying to do something with it.. It was well worth the upgrade. :)

keep the poly, way cooler. AND they can be bored 90 over. lots of info on line. I have a 318 poly, 6 pk, cammed, tti headers and exhaust, just ported and polished, rocker rollers, no boring. 300 hp ( 1962 Plymouth belvedere wagn

I have a new weighted flex plate for the 360 if you decide to go that route,,it allows you to run any neutral weighted converter on the 360 and saves you from buying 500 dollar converters

stick with the poly! Now if you could come across a 59' poly from a dodge?(not a Plymouth, they never made one as a 326) That engine was a bored out 318 for the factory dodges, with 265 HP and a two barrel. The four barrel was 295. I had one, and If I ever find one again, it's going in my 56' savoy. The Plymouth engine in 56 was the grandpa of the poly early A' engine world, 277 cubic inch, but only 180 HP. Everything Interchanges from there forward thru 66. If you have to change, find a good 383. it will keep the value better, and be more to the original nature of the 66'. Around us old guys, there's just something wrong about a 360 in a 60's car. No offense here.

440, with 4 speed.....resale $ someday will make you smile a lot wider! :thinker:
lot of room in there for a big block.....
JMVHO

Stick with the Poly, I rebuilt mine and it did not break the bank, I even stayed with the solid lifters. You can make a monster out of it if you like. Mine sounds very nice with a mild cam and series 50 flowmasters.

Attachments

• Belv.jpg
    Belv.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 282
keep the poly and go stroker you can go up to 412ci. 425 hp and look stock. I plan to do this on my 65 satellite 318 poly with an edelbrock p-600 3 deuce set up

I owned a 318 poly in a '58 Ply Fury. It was a factory 4bbl car. A friend that built a national record holding C modified production Chevy, tuned it for me. I could beat 327 Chevys with it. I would love to have another Poly. Great engine.

I am keeping my poly and putting on an edelbrock p-600 3 deuce manifold a going stroker to top it off

Sticking to your original question and terms of a college budget... Keep the Poly.. Get the intake off craigslist, throw a 4bbl on it, and check your heads.. as stated before, this could be your "smoking"... Swapping to a newer block would save you money in the long run if you're wanting tons of power.. But If you want to stick to your budget, and still afford to drive it... just rock the poly for now :headbang:, you'll be glad you did.. As for everyone telling you to go b/rb; and you're worried about being cost effective and planning a budget... Well, ignore it.. Just my 2 cents..

Auto Transport Service
Back