• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Temp (How cool is too cool?)

98 SNAKE EATER

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Got a built TF727 in my 69 Road Runner with Blue plate frictions, Kolene steels, Cheetah reverse manual valve body and an FTI 4000 stall converter.

When we put the converter in, I was a bit worried about running such a high stall on the street and didn't want any overheating issues, so I replaced the old B&M cooler with a HUGE 45,000 BTU cooler and swapped out the old deep sump pan from 440 Source for an even deeper deep sump pan with cooling tubes from Derale

newLPDtranscoolerinstall2.jpg

newderaletubepan3.jpg

newderaletubepan5.jpg

As a result, on the hottest day of the Summer here in Orlando, the fluid temp never broke 125*, even after 2 hours of driving :headbang:

Thing is, now that Winter is here, it just seems to take forever to operating temps (or in my case, warm enough to shift smoothly)

Earlier this week, I got a high of 111* after driving in traffic for an hour and doing 3 pulls on a back road before pulling into the shop :icon_confused:

Is there such a thing as too cool when it comes to these old trannies?

The big cooler came with a thermal bypass valve, but my trans builder suggested not using it cause in the event of a valve failure, it would smoke the trans :iamwithstupid:

So far, no issues other than really harsh shifts for the first 15 minutes or so (enough to chirp my redlines with any amount of throttle, but not too bad with the fat Mickeys)

According to B&M optimal operating temp is 170 degrees but not sure how much or even if "to cool" affects things.

After a little more research I have found a number of sites which recommend between 80 and 170 degrees as a good range to shoot for.

If cooler then 80 degrees they suggest letting the tranny warm up by driving it easy at first until warmed up.

Not sure if this is correct but I guess it seemed to make sense. Hopefully some more people will chime in as I to would like some real world information on the subject.

98 Snake Eater....thanks for starting what I hope will be an informative thread.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back