• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Treating floor and crossmembers when replacing

Muddy Udders

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Is anyone treating the replacement parts before installing them?
I'm getting ready to replace my torsion crossmember and floor pans in my 67 coronet and figuring I will spray them with weld through primer but wanted to see what others are doing.

Any recommendations on a brand you've had good luck with?
Rust converters you've used on floor supports before welding?

Thanks, Muddy

Yes, I did while replacing the floors in my Roached Runner.

20210807_203010.jpg 20210807_203004.jpg 20210811_195848.jpg 20210811_195841.jpg

Weld through primer sucks, at least the Eastwood does: Floor replacement- front seam
I've used the Eastwood rust converter, works very well, make sure to top coat within the specified time, and let it all cure.
For within the rails I used Rustoleum rusty metal primer, then Rustoleum primer/paint in one. I find the 'in one' paint does everything better, covers, dries, cures, lasts, etc.

I use this......let it dry, welds like a dream......it's like hot sauce, I put that **** on everything!

bloxide.jpg

pan2.jpg

pan.jpg

20190205_213623.jpg

Last edited:
On the frame rail connectors I made for my 65, I coated them with Weld Thru after sanding then cleaning with Acetone. The next day I flipped them over to touch up some spots and I found that it didn't stick. I could push it off with my fingernail. Not pleased. I scrubbed all of that off with the sander and then put Ospho on them. After all those structural pieces are in, I'll use the internal frame coatings and chassis saver materials.

Auto Transport Service
Back