• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trivia about the American Graffiti cars, the Merc and Milner's duece

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
e5g3543443.jpg

fdgefe.jpg
I got this from another car site...

The intake on Milner's hot rod was a Man-A-Fre, it had 4 Rochester 2 barrel carbs, and direct port injection which was nicknamed the Afterburner

The Afterburner feature was a precursor to today’s direct-port nitrous oxide injection.

a Man-A-Fre kit was the aluminum plate that locates the four carburetors directly over the intake ports to achieve perfect fuel distribution and maximum performance.
The lack of traditional manifold passages kept the height of the entire setup very low. Even with the four carburetors mounted and air cleaners attached, everything fit under the hood

I liked that Movie.. the right folks for the rolls they played.. the right cars for the time frame..

Great classic movie! I wish I lived like that at that time!

Why don't they make cool stuff like this anymore?

I'm a Mopar guy (of course), but the Lead Sled the Pharoahs drove was killer! One of my favorite non-Mopars. But I'll still take my Coronet over the Sled all day long.

Great Articles

Didn’t know this about EVH

Perhaps the saddest story accompanies the chopped-and-channeled, red 1951 Mercury custom. In the movie it belonged to Bo Hopkins and the Pharoahs, who led Richard Dreyfuss to the adventure with the cop car. Eddie Van Halen eventually bought the Mercury from a Universal Studios back lot and later sold it to Brian Setzer of The Stray Cats. Eventually it belonged to a young collector in New York, who committed suicide over a failed love affair. His father refused to sell the car, and at last report it was rusting away in a junkyard.

I took a little bitty chicky to the theater and watched it. Great memories and a great movie. Bo Hopkins was awesome, as well as the rest of the cast. I was new in town with my cammed up 65 mustang with 4-sp and gears and she was also the Sheriffs daughter. Didn't work out to well, he didn't like the crew I hung with.

Where I grew up the police chief's daughter was one of the biggest hellions around!

im kinda blown away by the intake shown,the man-a-fre.
was this a bad idea?
why didnt ma mopar have something like this??
seems like it woulda worked??

I loved that movie...

American Graffiti Street Race Paradise Road Modesto Ca. #2.jpg

American Graffiti John Falfa 55 210 Field Car Harrison Ford- I ain't nobody dork #1.jpg

American Graffiti John Milner 5 Window 32 Coupe & Officer Holstein.jpg
American Graffiti #1.jpg

American Graffiti & More American -John Milner's Dragster- Fremont Dragstrip.jpg
American Graffiti John Milner & McKensy in Wrecking Yard #1.jpg

this car the 58 Impala Steve's car/Toads car that got stolen
is owned by Ray Everingham now
American Graffiti Ron Howard's - Steve's 58 Impala Dr. Side now Owned by Ray Everingham.jpg

American Graffiti Pharohs #3 & Kurt.jpg

one of three cars used
one was a car used in the 1971 Tow-lane Blacktop film too
modified for American Graffiti
had a dual 4 tunnel ram LS7 BBC & Rock Crusher 4 speed
different side windows, wheels & scoop with added black paint etc.
to be more era correct for the setting of 'Summer of 1962'
Modesto, it was actually mostly filmed in Petaluma Ca.

55 210 Sedan from American Graffiti #2 Falfa's field car.jpg

55 210 Sedan from 2 lane black top #1b.jpg

55 210 Sedan from 2 lane black top #7.jpg

55 210 Sedan from 2 lane black top #1a engine shot Dennis Wilson.jpg

55 210 Sedan from 2 lane black top #3 Movie Poster.jpg

American Graffiti John Falfa 55 210 Field Car Harrison Ford.jpg

American Graffiti #1a.jpg

American Graffiti Pharohs #1.jpg

American Graffiti Pharohs #2.jpg

View attachment 722284

American Graffiti Wolfman Jack #1.jpg

great soundtrack too

one of George Lucas's best flicks
far better than any star wars episode/film IMO

Last edited:
If Im not mistaken.. one of those 55s ended up in the City Here.. Im pretty sure it was the two lane Black top version.. I did see the car.. and did talk to the owner at the time.. that was years ago..

Didn't the 80's version of the Kawasaki Eliminator have a secondary fuel booster system?

...and isn't "manifree" a term similar to "manifold", just open versus with ports?

It is a great movie. Most young people dont understand how a movie can be great with no special effects. Just a good story to fallow.

The Chopped 51 Merc Joe the Pharaoh's car,
it was "really a rough movie car",
it's not what most people think it was

51 Mercury from American Graffiti #1 Joe the Pharaoh's car.jpg

51 Mercury from American Graffiti #2 Joe the Pharaoh's car.jpg

sounds like a car to have fun with while you make it better

Auto Transport Service
Back