• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI Exhaust fitment issues (AARGH!)

62maxx

Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
Good Evening,

I'm having a MIGRAINE trying to fit a TTI Exhaust system on my 62 Polara 500 2 door. I gave them both HP manifold numbers for the supposedly "correct" down pipes and per the destructions, to begin assembly from the rear. We mocked them up anyway just to see and BOY what DO we see? The drivers down pipe seems not to be bent correctly as it takes the drivers side half of the "H" pipe WAY over towards the drive shaft. Also, both halves of the "H" pipes are way too long to even fit into both mufflers and I DO have the correct Dynomax mufflers as recommended. I called them and the TECH guy (very cool dude) said to put the drivers side "H" pipe onto the drivers side down pipe and BEND the down pipe outwards towards the drivers door. We were thinking if we DO that, then the "H" pipe halves will NOT fit up and connect together. I've searched for comments and videos and found only TWO videos that were "out there" and not related to my issue. I have not bent anything as of yet. TTI confirmed my HP exhaust numbers and I "supposedly" have the correct stamped down pipe part numbers. I'm thinking the down pipe was not bent correctly? Any comments or remedies to this issue will be greatly appreciated!

tti1.jpg

tti2.jpg

tti3.jpg

tti5.jpg

another company that charges big money and cant get it right. Hope you get it fixed.

That is totally out of whack. They should be accepting a return and replace with the CORRECT configuration... on THEIR $$$ .

Send them the pictures and ask them how they plan to correct the problem.

So, I had to his very problem on a 1969 b Body car once and they sent me new head pipe, still off. Which kinda told me there must have been a slight anomaly at my end causing this. Sooo…. I bolted it real tight to the manifold and made sure the manifold was tight to the motor, braced my foot against the opposite side of the car and pulled steady hard pressure on it and bent it to what I needed. It was easier than I thought and everything else worked out very well thereafter.

I imagine the factory did this with new exhaust all the time too..

just bend it.. from the looks of your it won’t take very much. To only be that far off at the back is a very minor bend required upfront.

Use grease on your fitting when assembling.

Last edited:
It's amazing how easy it is to bend this stuff. Pretty common in exhaust work. Remember you are dealing with old parts, reissue parts. Chassis that may not be spot on. It's easy to say they should do this or that. Not everything goes smooth in this hobby. You have to improvise. If not frustration will set in along with poor results. In this case follow the companys intructions. If that fails to correct the issue, then is the time to go to the next step.
Doug

My experience with TTI on my 67 GTX was that the pipes were a bit long and needed a little trimming to position the mufflers and tail pipes correctly but otherwise the alignment was good. Better long than short. Hopefully some hand bending will get them in line.

So, I had to his very problem on a 1969 b Body car once and they sent me new head pipe, still off. Which kinda told me there must have been a slight anomaly at my end causing this. Sooo…. I bolted it real tight to the manifold and made sure the manifold was tight to the motor, braced my foot against the opposite side of the car and pulled steady hard pressure on it and bent it to what I needed. It was easier than I thought and everything else worked out very well thereafter.

I imagine are the factory when new things like this happened all the time too..

just bend it.. from the looks of your it won’t take very much. To only be that far off at the back is a very minor bend required upfront.

Thank you, I will try this.

I'd be afraid that the inlet to the muffler ends up incorrect despite whatever bending you do and then they end up slightly askew and the tailpipes are all messed up.

Hopefully it turns out OK.

If TTI told you to bend them and it still doesn't work what did they suggest as your next step ? Have you thought of taking it to a local muffler shop and have them tweek it ?

Many know better than me, I’ve done a few exhaust systems, but MO, the offset at the cross over looks too offset for bending, no? TTI take into account the offset position of the motor? Sure would assume they’d know, but seems too far ‘off’ looking at the 4th photo in particular too close to the driveshaft. Also looks too canted-non-level side to side. Agree with posts and point out # 4 as my first thought.

Wow thats bad just did mine on a 65 and had to tweek the drivers side thought i was gonna crack the cast manifold for what they cost they should be a perfect fit

Wow thats bad just did mine on a 65 and had to tweek the drivers side thought i was gonna crack the cast manifold for what they cost they should be a perfect fit
Exactly. If I'm paying premium $$$ on something, I don't expect to have to bend, tweak, modify, or improvise. I can do that, and DONE that MANY times over the years with much... very much, less costly stuff. Matter o' fact, I literally just did a dual exhuast system on my Cordoba for a THIRD of what a "system" would cost. Yes... I bent, tweaked, and modified... all at a fraction of the price.

I imagine the factory did this with new exhaust all the time too..

Thanks! We will give this a try. I'm just concerned about putting all that pressure on the 45 year old HP manifold. (YIKES!)

If TTI told you to bend them and it still doesn't work what did they suggest as your next step ? Have you thought of taking it to a local muffler shop and have them tweek it ?
Yes. Made 5 calls and got ONE guy to say he would give it a try. Of course, he's going to bend the head pipe "blindly" because I can't bring the car and the whole exhaust to the shop without a car hauler. Zzzzzzzz. I AM going to print a pic for him, but gotta cross my fingers...

Yea, I'm thinkin the SAME about the 45 year old manifold getting cracked.......

Auto Transport Service
Back