• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo build advise please

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I'm building a 1965 Belvedere in the Pro Touring style. I have decided to turbocharge and I'm going to use Squires dual turbo universal kit. I am leaning toward a B-block to leave more room in the engine compartment. I can stroke it if need be, I'm looking to make 800-1000 HP on pump premium. This will be an expensive project, I know, but I'm looking for some ideas from any of you with experience in the turbo world. Thanks in advance!
Mike LeFevre

Some say you dont have to stroke it out but you can if you want. With a steel crank and h beam rods and forged pistons you can get up to 1000hp the reason being is turbos are easier on the rotating assembly due to gradual increase in boost and not a shock factor like nos. Me personally wouod go forged everything just for insurance. check out turboforums.com under the mopar section and do a search if you ask dumb questions they will be smart asses about it. Heads can be cast or aluminum depending on what you want.

Bottom line is same as any other build. No substitute for cubic inches. Turbo or otherwise. That said, I clicked off after "Pro Touring style". It's been done so much to death, you'll have something somebody else is bound to have. Good luck with your build.

You won't need to stroke it to make that kind of power. And the money you would spend on the kit would be better spent on making the bottom end stonger, not longer. Aluminum heads are recommended too.What are your plans for fuel delivery? EFI would be the way to go.

I plan on an aftermarket block with all forged internals but I'm trying to stay with pump gas so I thought a bigger cu in would require less boost. Perhaps with Snow water/methanol injection I could go smaller and run higher boost. Electronic fuel injection has always been the plan and electronic engine management as well. I already have a straight line street car so I thought I would build a car to go around corners with.
Mike

I dont know. If it was me spending all that money on the best forged internals, I would go ahead and blow it out with big cubes. One thing's for sure. It certainly will not make LESS power.

You will hit your numbers, don't worry. and on pump gas

[video=youtube_share;9flQNDYOX6g]http://youtu.be/9flQNDYOX6g[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

http://youtu.be/OHHQvozmEn4

"Faraone Charger at powercruise 32 Driven to and from and beat on for 3 days. Many passengers were taken for a few laps and sampled the 472tts reliability, drivability and some of its power.
At the motorplex this cars First time out testing late october 2010.Effortless 8.6 @170MPH were too easy for this car low boost, 3.0 diff gears and weighing 4200pound.The transmission's being the only limiting factor on the day spitting it after 3 low powered test runs. Its absence from the Perth motorplex is due to several other pro mod best of the best power glide's failing.The second time Testing won't happen until jon has the trans issues 100 percent sorted. Keep an eye out for its second outing Testing at the motorplex when just some of this power hits the track it will be interesting."

I'm sure he will but you know............it's kinda like the John Bobbit story. What you reckon he said when he was gettin his tallywhacker replaced? "No doc, lemmie have the next smaller size" I don't think so.

Have you been over to The turbo fourms? They have a Mopar section lots of good reading.

It really depends on the size turbos you are going to run. For my next build that im piece mealing together im going with koleno block, victor max wedge cnc ported heads, 572 cid with twin 88mm turbos. I figure with more cubes dont have to run as much boost. Now faraone has some great videos, theres also larry larson running 6.87 on a 555 chevy motor with 88mm turbos as well.

I sure as hell hope you keep us updated on that one.

It really depends on the size turbos you are going to run. For my next build that im piece mealing together im going with koleno block, victor max wedge cnc ported heads, 572 cid with twin 88mm turbos. I figure with more cubes dont have to run as much boost. Now faraone has some great videos, theres also larry larson running 6.87 on a 555 chevy motor with 88mm turbos as well.

I will be already have the heads cncd and the grp billet aluminum rods. I first got to get the chassis done. Just getting the car up and running now to move it around till I can get the 25.3 spec cage put in. Also have the fiberglass doors which are wicked light both together weight like 64lbs where one factory door weights what around 80lbs lol. Its a slow process but little by little.

Might want to think about rear mounts since you're doing road, it'll be less weight up front. Im going to do that with my daytona and stretch the wb at the front and im putting the turbos at the rear and it's oil and pump

I built a turbocharged 5.0 Mustang that made about 550rwhp. The car weighed 2700lbs and when the turbo would spool it was like a light switch, it felt like someone ran into you! I should have never sold that car. BTW that was 302ci with 12psi, 60mm turbo intercooled, aluminum heads, cam etc...

Are you talking RWHP or flywheel? you should easilly be able to make 800rwhp with a 440ci engine with decent heads, cam and even a carb. Take a look at the turboforum and don't just hang in the Mopar section, read everything. All the info applies to all engines (pretty much).

Research the turbo's you will need and don't skimp out, good cooler, no need for a stroker. Many people want a 580ci engine with twin 94mm's, but in reality thats way too much. LMAO.

The only reason Im going as big as I am is so that I can keep boost lower but still make the power I need. I have done some research and played with some online dyno programs to get a rough idea. Course what really happens is a different story I know. My thinking why run a smaller turbo at higher psi like say 30 when a bigger turbo can make the same power at 20-25. Yes still do research and see what size would be perfect for your set up can call or turbonetics has a form to fill out and they will recommend a size. I have written to a few turbo companies like turbonetic, garret and another newer company forgot the name for info.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with big ci and big turbo's - the more the better. BUT 580ci + twin 88's + 10-15psi (pump gas) = more than 1000 hp!but just be ready for the maintenance and all the upgrades required for the HP and MASSIVE torque.

keep us in the loop, I love turbos.

Only reason I was sayin go big is because you already have to use high dollar reciprocatin stuff, so why not?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with big ci and big turbo's - the more the better. BUT 580ci + twin 88's + 10-15psi (pump gas) = more than 1000 hp!but just be ready for the maintenance and all the upgrades required for the HP and MASSIVE torque.

keep us in the loop, I love turbos.

I know I didnt take it that way, im shooting for more then 1000hp looking to make 2400 max but with room to grow due to the tranny im looking at having to get tops out at 2500 torque for an auto.

The only reason Im going as big as I am is so that I can keep boost lower but still make the power I need. I have done some research and played with some online dyno programs to get a rough idea. Course what really happens is a different story I know. My thinking why run a smaller turbo at higher psi like say 30 when a bigger turbo can make the same power at 20-25. Yes still do research and see what size would be perfect for your set up can call or turbonetics has a form to fill out and they will recommend a size. I have written to a few turbo companies like turbonetic, garret and another newer company forgot the name for info.

You won't need it. This mild 360 has already gone in the 10s with a 2.76 gear and 2.55 radials at only 8 psi and no intercooler. Biggest issue was radiator needed to go in front of the core support and clearance for the 4" exhaust between the trans and torsion bar.
Doug

Attachments

• 7396272-2012-08-19_17-07-49_66(1280x722).jpg
    7396272-2012-08-19_17-07-49_66(1280x722).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 147
Auto Transport Service
Back