• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal frustration

jcskokos

Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
My '67 Coronet500 seems to be having a little trouble that I am afraid will get me a ticket soon. The turn signal switch is an aftermarket one and appears to not be making connection somewhere as the front yellow markers work normally, but my brake lights will only work one at a time. If I have right turn signal on=right brake light blinking and left on full and vice versa, however if I have it sit in the off position only one will light. with it slightly tilted up(right) the left light will work but right is inop, and it works the other way too. I have had it apart multiple times to bend the connecting 'poles' and it would work good until it settled back into the dead zone.

I am considering just installing a built in short to keep both lights on when I press the brakes regardless of turn signal position. The fronts will work normally and the fender markers. Has anyone done something like this or found another fix for this problem?

I had a problem with my signals and left brake light that was related to my turn signal switch. I was able to work it out by tightning and loosening the screw that secures the turn signal switch. I placed a mirror behind my 69 road runner then worked the screw and applied the brakes until I got everything working right. I too have an aftermarked turn signal switch.

your brake lites and turn signals SHOULD be on 2 separate circuits....as in...one should nave nothing to do with the other.

are you aware that the bulbs are 1157's ??....that means there are 2 filiments in each bulb,,,,,one for brake lites and running lites,,,,one for turn signals.

sounds like you have a grounding out problem where one is crossing to the other.

my guess is that your bulb sockets are KA-PUT !

if you have a non powered test light and a cooperative helper... and know how to use both....you should find it easily.

altho stranger things have happened....try changing the turn signal unit...( the cylinder lookin thingy under the dash ).. sometimes these things corrode inside and make your lights do stupid things. bad grounds will also make your lights do stupid things!

your brake lites and turn signals SHOULD be on 2 separate circuits....as in...one should nave nothing to do with the other.

Sorry, not true. The brake light switch on original turn signal switches feeds right into the switch. Part of the switch's job is to route brake light power to the unused signal, IE if you make a right turn, the signal switch removes brake light power from the brake switch and routes that lamp to the flasher output instead.

What you have there is a DEFECTIVE SWITCH. Years ago (early 70s) when these cars first started integrating the 4x flasher switch into the signal switch, I found a number of failed switches, which had NO brake lights. I found that by disabling the 4x (cut off the knob) and making a couple of wiring changes in the switch, I could at least get turn and stop, but no 4x. I have no idea, 40 years later, how I did that.

If this is a new switch take it back.

I concur, the tail lights, break lights and turn signal power is all routed through the turn signal cam at least on my 69 RR it is, discovered that one day when I had to rebuild the cam. also found out that with the key off if you turn the turn signal arm left or right that corresponding break light will not work making you think burned out bulb or wiring issue. try it lol it's funny. Just confirms that power is routed through the turn signal cam, weird way to do it but remember no modern electronics back then

hmmmmmmmmmmm....................you mean i had it wrong all these years? interesting.

Did you try it? Not sure if it works on a 70 but try it make a right turn(turn signal arm up)lmao in case you didn't know that either, with the key off then stand on the brakes see if the right brake light is on or off.

Do you have an extra signal switch laying around? If yes, you can test that the one in there is bad by plugging it in under the dash and seeing what happens before you pop the steering wheel off and going through that whole deal.

For 70's it's the same where the signal switch controls the brake lights.

Well the cam works, it just seems to have a little kink somewhere or maybe isnt the same length as the oem one. like I said, I can take it out and 'spread out' the contact pins and make it work normally for a short while. Both sides will work right now, but not at the same time. right/left kills the right/left light but doesn't flash until I have it all the way set to turn and it activates all right/left turn lights. I had it set to have it work good but it had to be perfectly centered, now it will kill one as soon as the other comes on. If I wanted to I could flash the brake lights alternately by flipping the switch up and down without ever activating the turn signals.
Does this make sense? I have always had trouble explaining things.

Do you have an extra signal switch laying around? If yes, you can test that the one in there is bad by plugging it in under the dash and seeing what happens before you pop the steering wheel off and going through that whole deal.

For 70's it's the same where the signal switch controls the brake lights.

they gave me the original(was hidden in the trunk under the spare... lol.) but it is cracked up pretty bad and the wires are cut off right at the cam.

i'm having kinda the same problem with a 65 coronet, i replaced the turn signal switch and everything worked fine so i sent the car home, a few moths later the owner called me and said the left brake light was not working, i had him change the bulb and check the ground, still no brake light but the turn signal works, i went down there to pick up his 63 belvedere to do some work on it and looked at the light problem on the 65 coronet with no luck, i bet its a problem with the aftermarket turn signal switch i put in, the problem is the car is 2 1/2 hours from me.

Auto Transport Service
Back