• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twin Turbo Remote (rear) mount

HYRDGOON

Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
Looking at Sweet5ltr's car got me curious about the benefits/downsides or rear mounting the turbos.

Tried to do some reading and of course most available information is kits for imports and reviews and the odd pickup but with our cars and the big blocks. I assume clearance is an issue for ride height but if planned correctly shouldn't be a big issue? I understand intercooler isn't necessary due to the cooler charge Temps at the end of the exhaust. Maybe a bit more lag but again non issue on a car that makes 500 plus pounds of torque? Are turbo sizing requirements different for rear mount?

Obviously not the direction I'm going as I'm already balls deep in a Procharger build but I'm definitely curious as there isn't much info

I'm very interested as well, I've come down with a serious illness that only more horsepower can cure:lol:.

I have that same virus!!! I am doing my first turbo build.Though completely different than what mike is inquiring about but still turbocharging.I am interested as well.

I had thoughts along the lines of dishing out the floor pans underneath the rear seat for added clearance. Of course, you'd have to insulate the beejesus out of it, but still, if you picked up 2 or 3 inches, that would help the scrub line tremendously.

I had thoughts along the lines of dishing out the floor pans underneath the rear seat for added clearance. Of course, you'd have to insulate the beejesus out of it, but still, if you picked up 2 or 3 inches, that would help the scrub line tremendously.
That's my thought as well, there's already a fair amount of space there so another 3" would make a lot of room. The real question is where do the filters go? Possibly in the trunk with quarter panel scoops feeding it?

I would have the turbos in the trunk with side scoops feeding them eliminating a ton of extra sheet metal work. Pipe would go right up into the flange at the sheet metal floor and then you'd just have to run the downpipes back out the floor. You'll need a scavange pump and line for the oil return and feeds or run a stand alone oiling system.

Check out Rad Rides By Troy

maybe call & talk to him {Troy} he' s great guy

he was building a 66 Belvedere alum. gen 2 Hemi with twin rear mounted turbo's

66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #1 Twin Turbo rear mount.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #2 Twin Turbo Hemi.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #4 engine Hemi exhaust.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #6 engine oil pan dry sump.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #7 Inner-cooler.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #10 ready for SEMA.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #9 ready for SEMA.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #12 ready for SEMA.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #3 cage.jpg 66 Belvedere Hemi Rad Rides By Troy #11 ready for SEMA.jpg

Have often thought about going with a huffer.....and still like the idea of one sticking through the hood.

Have often thought about going with a huffer.....and still like the idea of one sticking through the hood.
I'd love to have a big, ratty roots style blower in a hemi cuda but compared to the modern crop of prochargers and turbos, they're just so incredibly inefficient and ineffective. Look cool though!!

I'd love to have a big, ratty roots style blower in a hemi cuda but compared to the modern crop of prochargers and turbos, they're just so incredibly inefficient and ineffective. Look cool though!!
You ain't kidding they look sweet!!!! I'm thinking more on the lines of keeping it low key and out of sight so they don't know what's coming.

Check out Rad Rides By Troy

maybe call & talk to him {Troy} he' s great guy

he was building a 66 Belvedere alum. gen 2 Hemi with twin rear mounted turbo's

View attachment 332067 View attachment 332068 View attachment 332069 View attachment 332070 View attachment 332071 View attachment 332072 View attachment 332073 View attachment 332074 View attachment 332075 View attachment 332076
I'm digging that setup, can you actually talk the Troy????? This is basically what I had envisioned for a rear mount so it's nice to see it actually being done.

I'm digging that setup, can you actually talk the Troy????? This is basically what I had envisioned for a rear mount so it's nice to see it actually being done.
I don't know
He may be really busy BUT;
I did talk to him a couple times about 5-6 years ago...
He was gracious & talked to me for about an hour the 1st time,
I was talking with him about the bad *** Torino he built
& a 32 Ford with awd & some of the parts he used...

Looking at Sweet5ltr's car got me curious about the benefits/downsides or rear mounting the turbos.

Tried to do some reading and of course most available information is kits for imports and reviews and the odd pickup but with our cars and the big blocks. I assume clearance is an issue for ride height but if planned correctly shouldn't be a big issue? I understand intercooler isn't necessary due to the cooler charge Temps at the end of the exhaust. Maybe a bit more lag but again non issue on a car that makes 500 plus pounds of torque? Are turbo sizing requirements different for rear mount?

Obviously not the direction I'm going as I'm already balls deep in a Procharger build but I'm definitely curious as there isn't much info

Maybe somebody here has done a both a front mount and a rear mount setup, and could answer your questions with experience to back it up. I'm curious about the rear mount setups as well.

Our B bodies have so much room under the hood though, not sure why a rear mount would be considered. I think its easier to move the battery to the trunk than the turbo. Perhaps easier to add a turbo to an existing finished build? No need to fab headers ect? Less weight on the front of the car at the expense of adding more weight to the rest of the car? Cooler under hood temps, but depends how much heat your headers throw off to start with.
The oil feed and return would be much more work and expense to do. I have come across comments that a lot of rear mount setups never quite work properly or have a lot of quirks, though I did not look into it enough to get a feel for if that was true, or what the issues are. Seems some of the setups work quite well.

As far as turbo size, I am assuming you would need to go with a smaller turbine in a rear mount to achieve the same results that you would if you had a front mount.

Maybe somebody here has done a both a front mount and a rear mount setup, and could answer your questions with experience to back it up. I'm curious about the rear mount setups as well.

Our B bodies have so much room under the hood though, not sure why a rear mount would be considered. I think its easier to move the battery to the trunk than the turbo. Perhaps easier to add a turbo to an existing finished build? No need to fab headers ect? Less weight on the front of the car at the expense of adding more weight to the rest of the car? Cooler under hood temps, but depends how much heat your headers throw off to start with.
The oil feed and return would be much more work and expense to do. I have come across comments that a lot of rear mount setups never quite work properly or have a lot of quirks, though I did not look into it enough to get a feel for if that was true, or what the issues are. Seems some of the setups work quite well.

As far as turbo size, I am assuming you would need to go with a smaller turbine in a rear mount to achieve the same results that you would if you had a front mount.
To me I just hate the mess it makes under your hood, doesn't look like a fun place to work with all that going on plus there's the sleeper affect of hiding it too. If Troy is doing it that tells me there's ways of doing it right.

Auto Transport Service
Back