• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

under hood painting

Dgc

Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
pulled the engine of my 67 coronet a few weeks ago and am getting ready to paint engine bay,jambs,trunk before engine gets back
I just cleaned the engine bay and am taken back at how nice the paint still is after all this time
after just a soap and water clean up.
I love the original look of these cars as well as one after total restoration and part of me wants to leave the engine bay as is even with the imperfections but since its getting fresh paint every where else it prob wouldnt look right

My '62 really looked good after a cleaning too. But once I got in there and started sanding I found all kinds of pitting, from stones ect. A lot of undercoating sprayed up on the firewall and inner fenders. It really wouldn't have looked too good, to paint over all of that. And when the new engine goes back in, you can't get to it.

My '62 really looked good after a cleaning too. But once I got in there and started sanding I found all kinds of pitting, from stones ect. A lot of undercoating sprayed up on the firewall and inner fenders. It really wouldn't have looked too good, to paint over all of that. And when the new engine goes back in, you can't get to it.

yes theirs scrapes and scratches buit its hard to believe it still has its shine after 50 yrs, I see your in hanover im in camp hill

Paint it, you'll be glad you did. Then detail the crap out of it. That's the fun part

Question: What was your painting prep work (or plans) and how were you going to paint this area...spray gun, aerosol cans? Imagine all sorts of care needed to prevent any overspray. My engine bay looks pretty nice but spotted stains and dull after 53 years. One handy member I know (Plymouth Club) mentioned using those scarifying pads to rough up the surfaces but not remove the paint that makes it sufficient for painting...

yes theirs scrapes and scratches buit its hard to believe it still has its shine after 50 yrs, I see your in hanover im in camp hill

I'm just wanting to get this car road worthy so I can have some fun with it. It's taken too much time already and I'm on a budget. This is a rust free car, (it's why I bought it). It would be best to completely strip it of parts, take it down to bare metal, rotisserie, paint and reassemble.

I don't have the time or money, so doing under the hood first will be one step closer to getting it on the road. Then I'll redo the brakes, suspension parts ect. I would like to have it on the road, then work on other things as I go. At a later date, the engine compartment can be sealed up and the rest of the car painted, just like we use to do with a repaint.

I'm in Hanover. There are several members around this area, York ect. Lots of car enthusiasts in this area, that's why I'm itching to get this car going so I can hit all of the car shows around here. Feel free to PM me sometime.

Question: What was your painting prep work (or plans) and how were you going to paint this area...spray gun, aerosol cans? Imagine all sorts of care needed to prevent any overspray. My engine bay looks pretty nice but spotted stains and dull after 53 years. One handy member I know (Plymouth Club) mentioned using those scarifying pads to rough up the surfaces but not remove the paint that makes it sufficient for painting...
since the original paint is in such good shape Ill be using the red sanding pads on my small orbital grinder to prep then lots of wax and grease remover n I really use lots tach everything off several times. paint all other parts first, k frame ect,mask tape off and ill prim and spary it with my small hvlp sprayer. cans can work ok for engine bay imo but since im going to be spraying the jambs ,underside of hood and trunk at same time will use my sprayer. not to worried abt over spray pulled fenders off and most of front end when I pulled engine,bumpers are going to crome shop an fenders getting a little lite metal work

I'm just wanting to get this car road worthy so I can have some fun with it. It's taken too much time already and I'm on a budget. This is a rust free car, (it's why I bought it). It would be best to completely strip it of parts, take it down to bare metal, rotisserie, paint and reassemble.

I don't have the time or money, so doing under the hood first will be one step closer to getting it on the road. Then I'll redo the brakes, suspension parts ect. I would like to have it on the road, then work on other things as I go. At a later date, the engine compartment can be sealed up and the rest of the car painted, just like we use to do with a repaint.

I'm in Hanover. There are several members around this area, York ect. Lots of car enthusiasts in this area, that's why I'm itching to get this car going so I can hit all of the car shows around here. Feel free to PM me sometime.
If its rust free I wouldnt rotisserie it some may disagree here But I wouldnt even think of it with mine its a 67 rt 36k one owner before me never had any work even original exhaust , the only reason im doing the motor is the rings were rusted to pistons from sitting and it had some blow by. Im doing the little rust repairs it needs, allready stripped n ready for primer paint it then shes back on the road. some dont care but they are only original once and the older I get the more I like keeping them that way as much as possible
Dave

ok so help me out here guys, Im not much of a computer person I guess most here are do people want to see pics of every little thing we do to our cars ? I get the big stuff I posted pics before starting and when I had it stripped to bear metal and the engine out, but sanding the engine compartment ? its not very romantic I just figured id put up pics of the bigger things like after I reinstalled the engine and after I painted it stuff like that

You asked a question that I thought required pictures to be able to give you an answer.

You asked a question that I thought required pictures to be able to give you an answer.
oh ok I get the misunderstanding no I wasnt asking if I should paint the engine compartment was already prepping it for painting, was just kinda talking about how nice it is being 50 yrs old and how I love these cars in their original condition even with flaws . that prob comes from old age cause when I was younger we modified the heck out of everything

Auto Transport Service
Back