• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used Police cars ???

Dave P

Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
Been half way thinking of getting a ex-police Charger. Looking at 2019 -2020 with the 5.7 and AWD. seeing them in the $18,000 to $21,000 range
with 50-80K miles. Being honest not really sure why, but it won't be an every day driver, maybe call it an advanced all weather/purpose beater?
Anybody have direct experience with these or tips on them in general? I know this is a sorta "open ended" type of question....

I only know one person who bought one from work. He was not a mechanic, so he had to have it serviced and it always seemed to be in the shop. Realize that a lot of these cars idle quite a bit, so mileage is not exactly indicative of engine time. Even so, they are cool!

I only know one person who bought one from work. He was not a mechanic, so he had to have it serviced and it always seemed to be in the shop. Realize that a lot of these cars idle quite a bit, so mileage is not exactly indicative of engine time. Even so, they are cool!
Yes, I've seen some with huge hours but low mileage. Seen some with 90K miles, yet 10,000 hours. As a comparison our shop service trucks
with mostly local driving have similar miles but closer to 3000 hours run time.

I paid 20k for my 2010 Challenger R/T 5.7 6 speed, with 18k miles on it. You would be better off to get something like that,this is essentially a brand new car,for 20k.

20230820_192050.jpg

It's not the miles, it's the hours. One hour of idle is considered as approximately 35 miles of driving for fleet purposes (oil changes, maintenance, replacing, etc.)

You could get the idle hours to display on the dash of the Ford Crown Vic police cars. Can the same be done for the Charger police package cars?

It's not the miles, it's the hours. One hour of idle is considered as approximately 35 miles of driving for fleet purposes (oil changes, maintenance, replacing, etc.)
I saw this with the engine in my Peterbilt, spending significant time at fast idle unloading dry bulk. I did an overhaul every five years. Around 400,000 miles on the odometer, would have been closer to 600,000 on a long haul unit without the idling time. When I worked in management with fleet trucks, we scheduled services based on engine hours rather than miles.

You could get the idle hours to display on the dash of the Ford Crown Vic police cars. Can the same be done for the Charger police package cars?
If memory serves me, I think you hold the trip button down for 5 seconds and then key to on (not start). I think the newer models ('20 and up), it's available through the steering wheel controls and center screen on cluster. I could be wrong though.

Is AWD really necessary? I drove several different RWD cars in snowy upstate NY (and in snowstorms). I used winter tires on all 4 corners. Never any issues.

I would never buy a used Charger police car for anywhere near $20k when I could get a new one with 35 miles for $42k; albeit it is RWD, not AWD.

Screenshot_20240424-115040~2.png
Screenshot_20240424-115235~2.png

2023 Dodge Charger Police

Is AWD really necessary? I drove several different RWD cars in snowy upstate NY (and in snowstorms). I used winter tires on all 4 corners. Never any issues.
Yes, live in Michigan and have front, rear and AWD stuff. Plus a Jeep TJ...AWD is just nicer in some kinds of crap.
To be truthful I don't even need another car but if I get one of these it'll be AWD.

AWD = mo' maintenance...and mo' fuel (heavier). And, they look like they have a lift kit to me (just sayin'). But, you do you. It'll be column shift, possibly no console (depending what they left in it), but one nice bonus (unless they changed it) is when you hit the "traction off" button...it's OFF. My '05 Magnum R/T, if I hit that button it would give me a little more leeway...but still had an effect (squelched burnouts). And, police is the only way to get a Hemi/AWD - civilian AWD are all V6.

For my money? THAT is what you should look for. They made police package Magnums and there may still be some out there. But then, I'm goofy about wagons...

I work on police cars for a living and I can tell you from experience that a majority of them are beat to hell. Run hard, long idle times. On a good note they are serviced regulary.

I work on police cars for a living and I can tell you from experience that a majority of them are beat to hell. Run hard, long idle times. On a good note they are serviced regulary.
Do you wrench on the Chargers I was asking about? If so any model specific stuff that always dies.

Since they idle so long I've had to replace several cats. Replaced a few oil cooler assemblys. If it's a pursuit charger, the brakes and rotors are different. Part stores don't always get the right ones first time around.

My '05 Magnum R/T, if I hit that button it would give me a little more leeway...but still had an effect (squelched burnouts). And, police is the only way to get a Hemi/AWD - civilian AWD are all V6.

For my money? THAT is what you should look for. They made police package Magnums and there may still be some out there. But then, I'm goofy about wagons...
I was in the market for one a while back before
I got the Maverick Lariat AWD for Dad, he had to have it
then didn't like it, & then I traded that in on the current
(he complained 'too low to the ground', he was used to driving my 02 F350 PS 6 speed 4x4)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Limited Edition "loaded", 24 of 26 options
(real 4x4 w/real transfer case, lockers ft & r, Dana 44s w/4.17:1 gears both too, 295/70/17 - 33.4" tall)

I didn't know they even used the Magnums Hemi's as police rigs RWD &/or AWD
haven't seen any here...

If I was to ever get a Magnum, it'd be a Hemi version SRT pref.

Up here in the feet of Sierra Cement we get, steep roads/slopes
especially the past 3 winters '5 months delouse of snows' (global warming don't ya know)
you'd like the AWD over a 2wd/RWD you would not get far
on any hills/real mountain roads unless you chained up...

Last edited:
https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pr...2020.pdf?rev=f7b5e6a246fe481194b4fee9b615e6fc

Thought some would find interest in this what surprised me is the Ford SUV with the eco-boost was running the same lap times at Gratton as
the 5.7 Charger. Also thought the 5.7s were a bit quicker than mid 14s for 1/4 mile times.
These cars are heavy... mid 14s for a 4000# & 347cid isn't too shabby

My neighbor has a Calif Fish & Game Exploader', (Explorer)
with the eco-boost 4 banger/Awd & it moves, it handles too
doesn't sound too bad either, he said it's been 130
he's a Capt. now, no PowerRam Truck anymore
he also said he's been 130 in that too, it had a nice rumble...

Auto Transport Service
Back