• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using a trailer tire for a spare tire?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
I'm going on a trip next week. I've never had a flat with this car at home or on the road but I want to be ready.
The rear has a clutch type limited slip differential and I want to stow a spare that is the same height as my rear tires.
It so happens, a 225-75-15 is just about right.
There are a LOT of trailer tires in this size.
Also, a pickup bed trailer that I have needs new tires so I was considering the idea of simply using one of them as a spare tire for the trip.
I've read that trailer tires have a much stiffer sidewall and are not designed to handle lateral loads like a car or light truck does but.....who drives aggressively on the spare?

295 45.jpg

A lot of your trailer tires that size will have a 8/10 ply side wall.

but.....who drives aggressively on the spare?
I know a guy (not me)..... I loaned a fellow club member my spare a long time ago.....under the promise that if he so much as chirped the tire, he would replace it - it was brand new with the nobbles still intact.

He behaved...although it must have been difficult. This the guy who drove his '74 Challenger 150 miles each way to a track weekend....on slicks. F***ing clown for sure. He had a full car with 5 people inside, and all their luggage....idiot.

I know a guy (not me)..... I loaned a fellow club member my spare a long time ago.....under the promise that if he so much as chirped the tire, he would replace it - it was brand new with the nobbles still intact.

He behaved...although it must have been difficult. This the guy who drove his '74 Challenger 150 miles each way to a track weekend....on slicks. F***ing clown for sure. He had a full car with 5 people inside, and all their luggage....idiot.
...and he drove all the way like an ***.....overtaking dangerously and speeding way in excess of being reasonably safe.

Same guy also did a massive static burnout right in front of one of his best friends (in a yellow 72 RR) ---- so much rubber, that he filled the headlight surrounds and windscreen wiper cavity with rubber....and stones. CLOWN.

I guess I'm a little old school and look at it like this. If its round, rolls and can get you home.. Use it. Its not like it will be on the car for months after you pop a tire. Its a spare if it can get you back home or to a tire shop its worth throwing in the trunk. And even better if you have one just laying around money saved.

If it's a spare I wouldn't be worried. A trailer tire will be different than your normal tire, but as a spare who cares.

I would use it if it matches up. IF you need it, you'll probably just run it until you get to a shop to have your flat repaired, or replaced. I wouldn't autocross with it though...

Walmart sells 14” & 15” car tires in a lot of sizes. The cost can’t be much more than a trailer tire so I’d go that route.

Safe travels.

You will be fine. I can't tell you the last time I ever had to install a spare on a car.
Yes it can happen, likely you chances are good you won't have to.

Give the tire a visual inspection on both sides and check the production date code. If its more than 3 years old, find something else.

Give the tire a visual inspection on both sides and check the production date code. If its more than 3 years old, find something else.
Dang....the tires on my diesel have a date code from 05! And no, I'm not too proud of that but the last time I brought up using trailer tires on a car I got chastised for it.....

While I wont disagree on this suggestion as it is pertinent. However if this was a requirement 90 percent or better of any cars older than 3 years would be tossing their spare tires.

Carrying this old bastard for at least 15 years. Still holds air. In over 20 years, I’ve needed a spare one time. Carrying hoses, belts, fluids, tools, cables, you name it. Glad to have it in Death Valley though with no cell service. Used a belt once. Gave it to a fellow motorist. Otherwise I haul a bunch of stuff I’ll never need until I don’t have it.
0068C669-1C3A-4DB3-B973-F049E2CD425A.jpeg

The thing is, trailers sit quite a bit out in the elements. Junky tires can flat spot. Some but not all trailer owners go for the cheapest tire possible and TRUE trailer tires can be more expensive than their passenger car/truck similar sized brethren.

I'm beginning to think some of the responders didn't get the same sense of Kerns post that I did. He needs new trailer tires, for his trailer, and was wondering if he could use one, temporarily, as a spare for his car, for a trip.
Correct answer? Sure,why not?.
If the bolt pattern is right, the height is right to protect the sure grip for a few miles, and you have the tools, jack and lugs.....

Auto Transport Service
Back