• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacume canister install

MMorgan

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
My 440 is putting out around 8# of vacume at idle hardly enough to supply my disc/drum set up. Instructions say put vacume intake to check valve on tank then out to the check valve on break booster. Seems strait forward. My issue is the check valve on my tank let’s vacume out but not in. So if I hook inlet line to it, it will not let it in the tank. If I swap it it seems to work better. What Am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

So, If I have this right, you want to add a vacuum canister to allow you to actually stop?
The one way valve on the brake booster keeps the brakes working even if the engine is
shut off. If you want to add a canister, that valve needs to be between your intake manifold
and the xtra canister. You need a straight hose from the canister to the brake booster without
anything in between. 8" of vacuum doesn't sound like much! Souns like you cammed it too much
for power brake setup.

Through PST I ordered a Leeds Vaccum pump and viola power brakes with big cam. Kinda pricy but worth the money in my eye

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

There were many things done wrong with this build, before I owned it. I’m just trying to improve the things I can be done without breaking the bank. The car came stock with Drum/ drum breaks . It looks like the booster is original. So I know that’s an issue since there was a front disc conversion done on it as well.

Hey bird lover can I ask you how you plumbed that Leeds pump? That’s looks like the exact pump I have. Did you “tee” it in with the manifold vacume?

Hey bird lover can I ask you how you plumbed that Leeds pump? That’s looks like the exact pump I have. Did you “tee” it in with the manifold vacume?
For me the pump hose went straight to the poppet valve on the break booster. Big thing is this pump needs 12.5 volts keyed on power no constant. I would recommend using a 4 way relay also. I never used a “vac can” with that set up

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

That’s kinda funny. I have mine mounted under battery tray right where yours is. Pump looks exactly the same, and I did wire in a relay with it. There was a diagram that came with it that says to “T” it to the existing line that came from your manifold or carb. There was a tank with the car when I bought it. So I thought why not use it. When I hook pump to the check valve on the tank turn it on and it just runs and won’t shut off. Those pumps are sucking air right? On pumping air?

IMG_1723.png

Vac cans don't work, you just have more of low vac. You need to have higher vac, vac pumps work great, just noisy

That’s kinda funny. I have mine mounted under battery tray right where yours is. Pump looks exactly the same, and I did wire in a relay with it. There was a diagram that came with it that says to “T” it to the existing line that came from your manifold or carb. There was a tank with the car when I bought it. So I thought why not use it. When I hook pump to the check valve on the tank turn it on and it just runs and won’t shut off. Those pumps are sucking air right? On pumping air?

View attachment 1557400
Mine has vanes inside that make their own air per say. (Similar to tge “Hela pump) My instructions never mentioned intake plumbing. Leeds brakes has a GREAT tech dept for their pumps and products related. Might wanna call them. My pump has a built in pressure limit switch and shuts off at certain pressure and comes on at a certain drop to keep you at specified vaccum.

Auto Transport Service
Back