• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve body date cast number question

rustytoolss

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
Would a valve body with the number "66" on the lower half of the VB been used in the transmission for the 1967 model year cars ?

Absolutely could be. They built 67 cars in 66.

He's saying that since model year changeover happens in late summer, lots of vehicles are built in the previous year. And couple that with the fact that a strong portion of any given part has to be produced well ahead of time to end up on the final product anyway, lots are made previous to the model year.
I know, that doesnt answer your question...... the little circle with the "66" in it is a casting, correct?? You dont see any little boxes around the number, maybe with dots in the boxes??? A pic may help here.... I think, but not sure, the "66" you are seeing designates the "intended" model year. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in.

That stamping is actually a casting date. The centre number is the year. Counting around like a clock face, the little dots around the perimeter are the months. Likely anything later than August, 1966 could be used in a 1967 car, given lead time for production. This would be a casting date for the base plate only, not the whole assembly.

That stamping is actually a casting date. The centre number is the year. Counting around like a clock face, the little dots around the perimeter are the months. Likely anything later than August, 1966 could be used in a 1967 car, given lead time for production. This would be a casting date for the base plate only, not the whole assembly.
Looking at the calender clock around the "66" 10 spaces are filled in, each space has 3 dots. 2 empty spaces/ no dots. So I'm guessing October of 1966. Meaning the lower plate could have been used in a 1967 car.

Auto Transport Service
Back