• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Spring removal via air compressor help

edit: i managed to get the inner springs for #8 out. Struggling bad with accessing remaining plugs. Mainly plugs 3, 4, 5, and 6. Cant really squeeze between the headers and the body from above. still super tight from below. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I changed all 16 valve stem seals (original) on a 1971 318 Charger last summer with no issues. First time in maybe 30 years with the KD tool (pictured). Used to do lots of seal R&R jobs back when I worked at the dealerships. Those old seals were like little rocks!
Mike

I'm curious why no one has answered how the piston could go down if it was in park, 7 plugs still installed and all the valves closed because the valvetrain was removed?
What am I missing here????

I'm curious why no one has answered how the piston could go down if it was in park, 7 plugs still installed and all the valves closed because the valvetrain was removed?
What am I missing here????
Park doesn’t hold the engine, it’s not a stick. If the piston wants to go down it’ll go down, compression in other cylinders could hold it but I doubt he’s going from TDC all the way down. Valve train removed would allow the engine to turn easier I would think.
I’ve done this on several engines. Put air to the cylinder, usually the engine turns a bit. Whack the retainers and go about your business. Just make sure the air doesn’t run out.

Park doesn’t hold the engine, it’s not a stick. If the piston wants to go down it’ll go down, compression in other cylinders could hold it but I doubt he’s going from TDC all the way down. Valve train removed would allow the engine to turn easier I would think.
I’ve done this on several engines. Put air to the cylinder, usually the engine turns a bit. Whack the retainers and go about your business. Just make sure the air doesn’t run out.
I see the trans piece now that I think about it, car starts in park duh...
But with all the valves being closed and the one piston going down means others are coming up in compression, that's what I'm really hung up on...unless the rings are shot I guess.
Thanks

I see the trans piece now that I think about it, car starts in park duh...
But with all the valves being closed and the one piston going down means others are coming up in compression, that's what I'm really hung up on...unless the rings are shot I guess.
Thanks
Think about when your turn an engine over by hand. Gets tight as a cylinder builds compression and then compression bleeds off and you continue, then it gets tight again. 100psi in a cylinder is a big deal. Usually the cylinder isn’t moving an entire stroke either. I would bet if the cylinder was at or near TDC it wouldn’t move to the bottom that quick.

Auto Transport Service
Back