• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin Tag Rivet

Good advice here if a person has the intent to falsify. However, check with your state tax commission (tag office) or search the laws in your state. For me it is referred to as Title 47 of the state code/law, (f) An identification number may be placed on a vehicle or engine by its manufacturer in the regular course of business or placed or restored on a vehicle or engine by authority of the Oklahoma Tax Commission without violating this section; an identification number so placed or restored is not falsified.
From my questioning with the tax commission involved here, they can varify prior to and after restoration that the VIN is in fact the cars assigned VIN at manufacture and belongs to the car you intend to re-install it on after restoration. For our Mopar's, there are at least two additional partial VIN number locations that will be a part of your verification process. One is the radiator/core support structure and two is located on the left rear upper trunk skin weatherstrip area. To confirm someone has not swapped the VIN or have used one or more car structure components for an earlier rebuild/restoration, this would be my recommended starting point prior to beginning the project.

Restoring my VIN now and I have the matching core support but not the trunk. The entire quarter including the stamping area has been replaced. However I also have the additional stamping on the engine block and trans (4 speed) that all match.

Showed how to remove the original rivets and reuse them, with a new mandrel, some 7 years ago. Nobody has come to arrest me yet!!!

Last edited:
Showed some 7 years ago how to remove the original rivets and reuse them, with a new mandrel, some 7 years ago. Nobody has come to arrest me yet!!!
I found some original style rivets online per the above.

So, to restore the dash frame you can't pull the vin tag. I did and ordered the proper rivets. So, I guess I am an outlaw. LOL. Replaced a lot of sheet metal and did not punch the body numbers on any of it. Thought of doing the rain gutters for trunk area. Have kept the original ones was going to just cut out the numbers and 3M tape them to the underside. But too rusted. Will just hang on to them.

Sheesh you guys are a bunch of downers, man! If "the law" can't do anything about all the murders, drugs, rapes, human trafficking, political corruption, drunk drivers and red-light runners why should I fear them over some little metal tag on some old car?
I love my "officially VIN'd" 318-turned-hemi car and I can't wait to sell it for huge bucks to the next wide-eyed fool that has 200 large burning hole in his pocket! Best part is the number-nazis won't know the difference because I learned all I need to know about "correctness" right here at fbbo! And everyone will be happy!

Pull the tag.
Glass bead it.
Primer.and paint like you do any other part of the car.
Install a new decal and rivets from ECS.

Boom done. Get on with your life Enjoy as intended.

I've done a few cars exactly like that the past 10.12 years.
And no one cares believe me

Pull the tag.
Glass bead it.
Primer.and paint like you do any other part of the car.
Install a new decal and rivets from ECS.

Boom done. Get on with your life Enjoy as intended.

I've done a few cars exactly like that the past 10.12 years.
And no one cares believe me
Exactly what I am doing now. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back