• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Air in my 62 Fury wagon ? info wanted

rustytoolss

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Going to install aftermarket AC/Heat in my 62 Fury wagon (318 poly). I have made the compressor brackets. Have been planning to use Vintage Air GEN II Super system. Has anyone used this unit in a 62-65 mopar before ? how well did the unit fit ? Any photos ?...Do not want to install an under dash system.

It should fit and work fine. These are universal kits so a lot is on the installer. For the most part its just a universal box. It needs 2 heater holes, 2 a/c holes and a drain hole. Mounting is just a few studs and a hanging bracket or two. All the rest vents, controls is position-able to your preference. I bought the Chinese knock off hose fitting compressor to make my own hoses as I ordered mine with a universal hose and condenser kit. This allows you to route hoses as well as the dryer to your liking. I had to get a couple extra fittings but that was cheap.

I am in the process of installing Vintage air in my 63.BUT I am using their Hot Rod under dash heat and air.
If you look at the GEN II specs/dimensions you can take the sizes to see how well it will fit.A cardboard template box may be helpful.
Looking at mine I feel you will have plenty of room under there.

I replied to your first post at 8:28. Have a look at it. Dave

VA offers empty evaporator units just for mock up. I put a VA set up in my 65 Belvedere. I was going to use the 4 outlet model but, due to my enlarged tunnel I had to switch to the small 3 outlet model. With a stock tunnel the 4 outlet will fit. I built a plate to block off the fresh air opening for the stock heater and used bulk head fittings in the plate for installation ease. I also purchased the " you build it" hose setup. Works nice. Still under construction.
Mike
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2548.JPG

Mike,Looking at that photo,you are installing the heater control valve under the dash and not in the engine compartment. Correct ?
I ask because I'm not sure where to put mine.I was planing the engine compartment till I saw the photo.

That looks like it is up in the passenger front fender well to me. That is how Vintage Air does it in their kits available for later B-bodies. All the AC and heater lines run out of engine compartment through the inspection hole on the right. This did not appeal to me, so I devised another way to do it. That is the front shock mount hole just ahead of the water valve.

Here is how I did my water shut-off valve. I keeps the hot water heat out of the cabin. I did not have room to plumb it inside, anyway.

P4170008.JPG

VA offers empty evaporator units just for mock up. I put a VA set up in my 65 Belvedere. I was going to use the 4 outlet model but, due to my enlarged tunnel I had to switch to the small 3 outlet model. With a stock tunnel the 4 outlet will fit. I built a plate to block off the fresh air opening for the stock heater and used bulk head fittings in the plate for installation ease. I also purchased the " you build it" hose setup. Works nice. Still under construction.
Mike
View attachment 1353661View attachment 1353662View attachment 1353663View attachment 1353664
493 Mike, how well does your 3 outlet unit work in your wagon ? I had someone tell that the GEN II units did not cool very well in large vehicles. I am planning to install a GEN II Super AC/Heat/defrost in my 62 Fury wagon. Get back with me please before I spend money on the wrong system. Thanks Shawn N.E. Ohio

493 Mike, how well does your 3 outlet unit work in your wagon ? I had someone tell that the GEN II units did not cool very well in large vehicles. I am planning to install a GEN II Super AC/Heat/defrost in my 62 Fury wagon. Get back with me please before I spend money on the wrong system. Thanks Shawn N.E. Ohio
The VA unit I installed is in my 65 Belvedere 2 door and that has butyl/foil insulation with a full interior. I have not yet even fired the engine so, I have no performance info. Call VA for their recommendation.
Mike

I called Vintage Air, they said that the GEN II Super would not perform very well in a car as large as a wagon. And thought I would be far happier with thier GEN IV Magnum series system. So does anyone have any photos of installing a GEN IV system in a 62-65 mopar ???

I installed a gen 4, but I am really bad at taking pictures. I did quite a bit of it myself, my brother in law works for V.A. Made the hoses for me and helped me order piece by piece. I think I have an evaporator that is for a Tri 5 Chevy and some pre bent metal hoses for other kits. Big advantage of having my brother in law. I got a linear actuator so I am using my factory temp lever, I made an adapter and use my factory fan knob, and I put the selector knob in the ash tray.

I installed a gen 4, but I am really bad at taking pictures. I did quite a bit of it myself, my brother in law works for V.A. Made the hoses for me and helped me order piece by piece. I think I have an evaporator that is for a Tri 5 Chevy and some pre bent metal hoses for other kits. Big advantage of having my brother in law. I got a linear actuator so I am using my factory temp lever, I made an adapter and use my factory fan knob, and I put the selector knob in the ash tray.
Thanks for your reply. How well did the unit fit under the dash ? How well does the unit preform AC/ heat ? Where did your AC/heater hoses enter/exit the cab ??

routed the hoses through the fresh air inlet. I made a plate and sealed with grommets. Heat is really good, A/C is cold. I have two under dash vents and the factory pop up vents on top of the dash. The heater box fit well, I think it is smaller then the factory.
I have driven on 100 degree 90% humidity days and it is very comfortable on medium fan.

routed the hoses through the fresh air inlet. I made a plate and sealed with grommets. Heat is really good, A/C is cold. I have two under dash vents and the factory pop up vents on top of the dash. The heater box fit well, I think it is smaller then the factory.
I have driven on 100 degree 90% humidity days and it is very comfortable on medium fan.
Thanks for the quick reply. Last night I made a fake cardboard box to mock the GEN IV sizes 10.5x10.5x26, and tried to stuff it up under my dash (did not go very well.). I have some more question before I would buy a GEN IV. 1 did you have the complete dash assy removed to install the unit ? 2 did you loose the uses of the glove box ? 3 How much foot room was lost for the passenger/ if any ? 4 was the 55 chevy evaporator box smaller than the regular GEN IV unit ? Sure wish you had some pictures you could share, or I could get intouch with your brother-in-law. These are big issues that I need to get answers too before I spend the money. Thanks Please get back with me.

Last edited:
I did not loose the glove box. I am sorry the condenser is for a 55 chevy. I took out my glove box and the radio while I was making the brackets. I don't feel that I lost any leg room. I can try to get so pictures tomorrow

I did not loose the glove box. I am sorry the condenser is for a 55 chevy. I took out my glove box and the radio while I was making the brackets. I don't feel that I lost any leg room. I can try to get so pictures tomorrow
Those pictures sure would help me decide on the GEN IV system. A guy can't have too much information on a project like this.. the more the better. Thanks SOOO MUCH .
P1040827.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back