• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage garage stuff

I came across this nice Fisk spark plug booklet. It gives the Fisk spark plug number, and the Plug gap for all domestic cars by make and engine. It includes an inspection chart, heat range chart, and installation torque chart. It cross references Fisk plugs to Mopar, champion, autolite, and AC plugs. There were quite a few engines Fisk didn’t make plugs for, including the Hemi.

IMG_2202.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

Recent garage sale finds, hemi is not vintage, but cool. I don't know why but I've wanted a full size carousel horse since I was kid. Also got a Sun distributor machine from my neighbor's estate, he was a Army vet and diehard Studebaker guy. I don't think it has much if any use, works and came with the cover.

fuel hemi.jpg
Horse.jpg
Sun dist.jpg
Sun dist 4.JPG
Sun dist 2.jpg
Sun dist 3.jpg

I used to use those Sun machines back in the 70's to set up dual point distributors.
Did one for a guy's Max Wedge. He ran it for 2 seasons then went to Mopars electronic ignition.
He stated that his car ran no better with the electronic than points.
If that thing is in good working order you got something special.It looks in great shape.

i got this old snap-on tire balancer at Carlisle one year for $40. a new set of bearings, and it's up and running.
:drinks:

!cid_89B388962CF64A288C4304D79BEC4737@User1PC.png

For those seemingly frequently occurring knuckle busters that happen in the garage. I wonder if these were sold at Shell stations, or if they would’ve been a promotional freebie?

IMG_2366.jpeg

IMG_2367.jpeg

Here are a couple of interesting items. At first glance, the timing light looks ordinary. But if you’ll notice, instead of using power from the engines electrical system, this light gets plugged into a wall socket. I haven’t tried it yet, so I am just guessing as to how it functions. I think the probe is Either brought into contact with the spark plug wire, or is inserted into either the spark plug boot, or the distributor cap boot. It seems to be a precursor to today’s inductive lights. Unfortunately, I don’t see a manufacturer’s name anywhere on it. The second item seems to be a device that would have allowed you to pump leaded gas into a car that was built To only except unleaded fuel. If you recall the unleaded cars had a small fuel tank filler neck opening. Since the nozzles of the leaded gas pumps were larger, you could not fit one in an unleaded cars filler neck. I have no idea why someone would want to burn leaded fuel in an engine designed to burn unleaded fuel.

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of interesting items. At first glance, the timing light looks ordinary. But if you’ll notice, instead of using power from the engines electrical system, this light gets plugged into a wall socket. I haven’t tried it yet, so I am just guessing as to how it functions. I think the probe is Either brought into contact with the spark plug wire, or is inserted into either the spark plug boot, or the distributor cap boot. It seems to be a precursor to today’s inductive lights. Unfortunately, I don’t see a manufacturer’s name anywhere on it. The second item seems to be a device that would have allowed you to pump leaded gas into a car that was built To only except unleaded fuel. If you recall the unleaded cars had a small fuel tank filler neck opening. Since the nozzles of the leaded gas pumps were larger, you could not fit one in an unleaded cars filler neck. I have no idea why someone would want to burn leaded fuel in an engine designed to burn unleaded fuel.

View attachment 1508994

View attachment 1508995
The no no lead adapter are for those people who liked blood poisoning and brain damage.

Snarky comments aside, I can recall a time where some folks would "de-smog" a mid-70's car by
removing the catcon, etc. and running them on "regular" gas.
Reason? Some might remember just how poorly the early smogger engines ran on the unleaded
gas available at the time.
I surely do.
Took a while for that technology to get worked out, sort of like how the forced upon us electrics are
today...

moparedth, I agree.The early to mid 70's cars ran awful. Unleaded was coming in around 1972 in our area.Chrysler was almost belly up around 1974 and did anything to get these cars to pass federal smog requirements. Timing was 2* after top dead center on the 318's. We sold lots of Aspens and pickup trucks.Constant customers coming back . We would remove all the vacuum junk and miles of plumbing,hook the vacuum advance up like the 60's 318's and bump the timing up to 8* advanced. Most were happy campers after that. Our state (PA) had no smog inspections at that time.
Sorry guys, got a little off track.

moparedth, I agree.The early to mid 70's cars ran awful. Unleaded was coming in around 1972 in our area.Chrysler was almost belly up around 1974 and did anything to get these cars to pass federal smog requirements. Timing was 2* after top dead center on the 318's. We sold lots of Aspens and pickup trucks.Constant customers coming back . We would remove all the vacuum junk and miles of plumbing,hook the vacuum advance up like the 60's 318's and bump the timing up to 8* advanced. Most were happy campers after that. Our state (PA) had no smog inspections at that time.
Sorry guys, got a little off track.
Here they just enlarged the opening, used regular fuel, adjusted timing and carried on. When the catalytic converter acted up, it got chucked.

A few yard sale items that I found this weekend to go in the garage. The little steam engine still works.

KIMG3760.JPG
KIMG3753.JPG
KIMG3761.JPG

View attachment 1508994

View attachment 1508995
In the early days of unleaded gasoline, leaded regular was a few cents cheaper than unleaded, thats why people would put leaded gas in their unleaded cars. Gas powered cars and trucks still have the small hole filler necks, diesels have a larger hole like the leaded fuel vehicles had. You can buy both sizes of nozzles.

After posting those first pics, it got me motivated to get the pile of cans taking up floor space and get them on the shelf. Here's pics of that project, until I ran out of room (which seems to be a recurring problem in my garage). I think I am going to make some oil stands out of wood that would look the ones that used to sit in between the gas pumps back when pocket change could get you enough gas to go cruising.View attachment 744395 View attachment 744396 View attachment 744398 View attachment 744401 View attachment 744402
Arco Graphite, "The Black Oil" as they used to advertise it.

Great idea, but no one liked putting in new oil that looked like the oil that they just drained.

leaded regular was a few cents cheaper than unleaded,
Correct ! Regular leaded was 27 cents and the unleaded was 32 cents !!
Customers would complain ! Now you know how old I am...

Correct ! Regular leaded was 27 cents and the unleaded was 32 cents !!
Customers would complain ! Now you know how old I am...
For the first couple of years after I got my drivers license regular gasoline was 26 cents. $2 would let you cruise around all night.

I started working at a Boron gas station at 13. Boron was the only station that had 3 pumps.
Regular,Premium,Unleaded..When I said the customers complained is when prices would increase 2 cents.
At 13 regular was 19 cents. Don't forget those S&H Green Stamps..

I started working at a Boron gas station at 13. Boron was the only station that had 3 pumps.
Regular,Premium,Unleaded..When I said the customers complained is when prices would increase 2 cents.
At 13 regular was 19 cents. Don't forget those S&H Green Stamps..
Early 70's?

Auto Transport Service
Back