• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage garage stuff

I still have several of the Motor's auto repair manuals.....
Me too. I'll look at them every now and then.Along with service manuals and books on Mopars.Photos, posters etc.
Someday they will all have to go.

Me too. I'll look at them every now and then.Along with service manuals and books on Mopars.Photos, posters etc.
Someday they will all have to go.
Was thinking the same thing just the other day.....

I came across these nice Snap On current meters. At 5 bucks for the pair I couldn’t pass them up. One is for alternator output and the other for starter pull. You just lay the appropriate wire in the bracket on the back.

View attachment 1401958

View attachment 1401962
I have several of these. Not sure of the brand. They were a quick and easy way to diagnose starter draw.

When was the last time you boys saw a growler?
Not the kind for beer lol.
20230114_170127.jpg

Not the kind for beer lol. View attachment 1402196
Armature tester? Been a long time but we had something similar at the refinery that the electricians used to check out electric motors and remember one of them talking about a growler.....

Learned with one in high school auto shop.I may be wrong but if the armature had a open and you lay a hack saw blade on it it would vibrate. That is what we used.
Now that was many moons ago and my memory is fading fast.

when you have a starter or generator that isn't working right and you have ruled everything else out by diagnosis youtake the device apart and inspect.
The armature rests in the cradle and when you turn it on it generates a magnetic field similar to when it operates. At this time you will check for winding shorts to ground or opens in the winding at the commutater(?) Where the brushes ride.
I'm sure I forgot some specifics as I haven't used it since the 80s probably
Hope this helps

I found this at a local "junk" shop this weekend along with some Mopar specialty pullers. It doesn't look like it's ever been used.

KIMG3049.JPG
KIMG3048.JPG

And I finally got this put this put together for the shop wall from a fiberglass bumper and spare grill that I have been hanging onto.

KIMG3042.JPG

Repro tether car and my dads old drafting equipment.

Rare Steve Smith book from the 70’s with Cuda on cover.

D360FCB9-921E-41DA-AC65-9BD7CA57F77D.jpeg

I came across this cool collapsible snow brush ice scraper. Collapsed, it is very compact. It includes an ice scraper and squeegee on the end. The company was near my childhood home, even having the same postal zone.

384C106E-348E-44CB-A11A-1A6CFA3B4924.jpeg

35BBBF5D-C1E9-4FB2-9BA3-6EE52AEB56F4.jpeg

Repro tether car and my dads old drafting equipment.

Rare Steve Smith book from the 70’s with Cuda on cover.

View attachment 1402865
I was a classicly trained draftsman in high school/early 20's days. I worked for architects, machinists, whatever
needed drawn up and did it old school - ink on mylar, usually faster than the guys using lead.
CAD wiped that skill obsolete pretty darn fast, but I miss it to this day and still have a lot of my old tools of the trade.

I also did architecture and mechanical engineering drafting. Just finally threw my old drafting table away several years ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back