• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Viper Security Systems?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
I have a friend now retired living in a warmer climate that ran into a hassle after getting a new battery installed. It activated the security system causing the car to not start then after the installer unplugged a 'module' car runs; but will stop inadvertently and will start again until it dies again. His dilemma: He bought the 1999 car used a few years ago and there's no info to be had on the system operation and the key fob has no labels. I gave him some basic tips like being sure the fob has working batteries since he never has used the system and to unlock the car with the car's fob or key then do a check on which buttons lock/unlock the car on the security fob. In my limited experience, seems that aftermarket systems don't talk with the factory system so these work independent of another so it's a matter of unlocking the car as normal then using the security fob to lock and set the alarm and watch it unlock disabling the system? Wouldn't seem overly complicated; but these checks seemed too much (he's not a car guy) and is ready to allow the Viper shop to pick up his car and they'll dismantle the whole works at what I'd guess is a hefty tag. Anyone know about these systems?? Thanks!

Installed correctly, aftermarket alarms work well with factory systems. Most of the time it's just the settings need adjusted or another module for factory compatibility needs added.
Unplugging the system isn't the answer. If it was ONLY remote start, then yes, unplug the unit and it'll be fine.
If he has the module, get the model number and get the manual for it.

If it's installed on a GM vehicle, there will likely be problems. Their Passkey (anti-theft) system of the mid to late 90s cars is a nightmare to bypass half the time.

I would call a place that installs car alarms before I would let those guys play with it. There has to be something you can find on that alarm so you can look it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back