• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washing a car with hard water(well water)

fullmetaljacket

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
If you have washed your car using HARD water to rinse or just to wipe down, are there any tricks to getting the water spots from forming or is there a drying time trick to avoid the spots that would appear especially on a black car?

Use a soft cloth, and wring it out before cleaning the car. Hosing a car will take too long to dry off before the water-spotting starts, unless you have one of those magic towels.

I used to wash my GTX with a bucket and a cloth, inside the garage. Never used the hose.

I'm curious Kiwi.
So did the water you filled your bucket with and the water from the hose not come from the same source?

Water in San Diego is classified as very hard. All I try to do, especially if I'm washing my black Firebird, is to wash it when the sun isnt out and it isn't too warm. When I'm done, I go over the entire car with a waterless wash or liquid wax to clean up any issues with the water...

Wipe it down with distilled water after washing, before it drys and spots if possible. Distilled is about a dollar a gallon at grocery stores.

Lousy water in San Jose too. Lots of minerals. After a good rinse in the shade, I mist it with (Adams) Detailer spray then use the leaf blower. Then micro fiber the rest.

Phoenix water is so hard I could ship you some. I’ve kind of mastered this. Early morning before sun bakes the paint then 2 good towels, first one gets just some of the water on purpose and second one dries. Work fast.

I wash the black brick from the roof to glass to rear and the front carefully.Then dry with towels and fiber cloth.Towel must completely dry or it will streak.The 2 towel trick works well. Can you use a towell on your front & side .........glass?

I wash the black brick from the roof to glass to rear and the front carefully.Then dry with towels and fiber cloth.Towel must completely dry or it will streak.The 2 towel trick works well. Can you use a towell on your front & side .........glass?
No I can not use nothing but very soft Terry cloth for the windows. Thank you guys. I'll just wipe the body itself down with a moist towel and follow up with a nice soft dry towel after. This is all of course in anticipation of bringing the car here. Gonna call you tomorrow Hemi-its.

I was impressed with the Mr. Clean Carwash System when they were available. Now I have a 55 gal heavy duty round "plastic" (or whatever synthetic material it's made of) garbage can. It has a round base insert w/caster wheels. I use my RO/DI 4 step water filter (that I used to make water for my way too many saltwater aquariums with) and a submersible pump.
Between the 3 large cartridge filters (sediment particle, activated charcoal, deionization) and the reverse osmosis membrane, literally the only molecules in my rinse water are pure H²O, so that is what I do my final rinse with, and that gives me time to use 3 or so extra large ONE HUNDRED PERCENT COTTON towels, that never get fabric softener used in the washing machine, to dry the car with. I also have high confidence in and now use exclusively Rain‑X® Spot Free Car Wash. It works great!
Water spots are some of the most difficult things to get off car paint, and I'd rather not have to.

If you have good wax on the paint the last thing that you do is take your nozzle off the end of your hose and start at the top and cascade water over it. This will shed most of the water off of the surfaces. Then you can towel any remaining water. A good leaf blower works good too. I always blow dried my Harley.

Another thing about hard water is sediment really collects inside of your garden hose after awhile. Completely draining the hose when done can help some.

I'm curious Kiwi.
So did the water you filled your bucket with and the water from the hose not come from the same source?
I used normal tap water - town supply....if I wash my other vehicles without drying them off, I get water spotting on them.

The "dry as you go" technique with a squeezed out cloth almost 100% prevents that. Saves water also. :D

If you keep it wet it won't spot so easily. If I'm almost done with the top and sides of the car I will go over and shoot the car with hose again to keep it wet so it doesn't dry on me before I can grab the towel and dry it off. Seems to help alot.....that and wash it in the shade or dusk if possible.

Ever heard of a water softner ? Goes a long way to solving issues with water spots from mineral deposits. You will use far less soap for everything in your house. I have had one for over 25 years, recently started leaking, bought and installed a new one. Got a GE model, about $ 450.00 at Home Depot thet dealt with my medium water hardness condition. I have the water line to my garage purposely connected to soft water source for washing the cars.

I haven't waxed anything in years (don't care) but I do use a rubber feeling towel named "Absorber" that holds gobs of water before you have to wring it out. Really speeds up water removal.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back