Water temperature gauge spikes to impossible high #s then goes quickly to 180°

Heating, Cooling & AC

1. biomedtechguy

biomedtechguy Accelerati Rapidus Maximus FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:51 AM
    Thanks Bob..
    That's my point. I had the Dakota Digital temperature gauge reading crazy high temps, but no other signs indicating high temps. I need that gauge to be reliable, or should I say the temp probe/sender...

2. RJRENTON

RJRENTON FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:51 AM
    Out of curiosity,....what is the temperature probe? Its probably not hot enough for a thermocouple (2 dissimilar metals fused to generate a milli-voltage when heated, like a class J) to be accurate (at least I don't think) but likely its an RTD or resistive temperature detector (usually a 100 ohm platinum device...very accurate) or its a positive temperature coefficient Thremistor...not real accurate but inexpensive. Digital instruments like RTDs (usually) but it depends on the analog to digital circuitry that converts and displays the data. Digital stuff is nice, but sometimes, the old filled system, a pressure gauge calibrated to read temperature degrees F or C, based on increasing pressure due to temperature change. How accurate does the system need to be??? +/- 0.5 degrees or +/- 5.0 degrees and how fast is the reporting time.....just a rhetorical question.....
    BOB RENTON

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.