• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight saving mods......

In 1975 I scraped the undercoating from my '65 Coronet with a scrapper, chisel and sometimes help from the propane torch. It was at least 40#. I cut lots out of the doors, Lexan side windows. Got the Coronet down to 3250# with iron 440 & Dana. I knew guys that went to lots of aluminum bolts. I did cut many of my steel bolts down to minimal length, removed some I didn't think were really needed & used a few aluminum bolts too. Anything not needed to make the car go down the dragstrip was out.

Here's the ride that has gone the lengths as of lately to contend in the featherweight wars.
002-1965-dodge-coronet-profile.jpg

I saw a car just like that today.And for a split second I thought I was holding the lightest alloy in the universe:rolleyes:

11.27.16 022.jpg

Here's the ride that has gone the lengths as of lately to contend in the featherweight wars.View attachment 375520
Without getting into another looooonnnnnnnnnng thread stemming from another thread elsewhere, here's an example of what's out there in the woods during a full moon. Many gussets and out of the 7075-T DNA type.
IMG_2352.JPG

Yes, that's a full aluminum exhaust system with Mufflers and all from the headers back.

Without getting into another looooonnnnnnnnnng thread stemming from another thread elsewhere, here's an example of what's out there in the woods during a full moon. Many gussets and out of the 7075-T DNA type.View attachment 375531
Yes, that's a full aluminum exhaust system with Mufflers and all from the headers back.

Another bird chirping in my ear says with the right mid-plate I no longer need a trans mount & crossmember,,,,,

Seems like a really thick mid plate would be needed. Stock trans X members aren't that heavy are they?

Seems like a really thick mid plate would be needed. Stock trans X members aren't that heavy are they?
No they are not. A typical member weighs in the hood of 5-3/4 Lbs. This aluminum type weighs 3 lbs shaving almost 3 Lbs off the stock piece in the process.
I'm not sure what Hemi-itis is up to with such mid plate. The trans needs to be supported in the rear for sure. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Just for Shits and Giggles...But the car has to haul the Drivers *** down the 1/4 mile Too! When we shave weight off the car, Do we ever think about slimming down the Pilot?? I'm just putting it out there!

I like that trans x member a lot!! But I will most likely just modify the stock one. Haven't even decided what trans is going in. I have a Jerico but would really like to run something more street friendly and have OD....

Just for Shits and Giggles...But the car has to haul the Drivers *** down the 1/4 mile Too! When we shave weight off the car, Do we ever think about slimming down the Pilot?? I'm just putting it out there!
Oh man....I hit 235 some time back and it's taking me what seems like forever to get down below 200. Hit 203 but after Thanksgiving, I'm at 210 :( My goal is at least 180....

10 years ago I had a Road Runner running 11.7's, I was 245 at the time. That car is gone ,and so is 55 pounds of me. Wish I had that car back now! No doubt I'm much better off regardless!

I've been trying to ride my bike more and work out too but haven't done much of either lately. Yesterday I rode my bike harder than I have in a long time and when I got home, I was pretty worn out and my legs felt like rubber! Just have to put my mind in the right place and stay with it. Today I get to go stress out in the dentist's chair in about an hour lol

Make sure you insist on Light Weight Fillings!! LOL
Light weight crown! :D Haven't needed a filling in years but the ones I got are getting pretty old....not to mention they are silver. Some of my teeth with the fillings are cracking and that's what this one is doing. $$$$$$$ dang it.

I've been trying to ride my bike more and work out too but haven't done much of either lately. Yesterday I rode my bike harder than I have in a long time and when I got home, I was pretty worn out and my legs felt like rubber! Just have to put my mind in the right place and stay with it. Today I get to go stress out in the dentist's chair in about an hour lol
A great alternative is walking. they say, 10 thousand steps a day is a key to better health.That played a huge part to making a lesser person of myself. A simple pedometer app on the cell. Biking also rocks absolutely!

A great alternative is walking. they say, 10 thousand steps a day is a key to better health.That played a huge part to making a lesser person of myself. A simple pedometer app on the cell. Biking also rocks absolutely!
True to this, a lot is to be said about personal body weight and health.
On that respect, aiming to mount the drivers seat as far back as safely and functionally possible is a good way to transfer any drivers weight more rearward. It's almost like taking dead weight out of the car by managing weight placement itself. For that reason, I hand built this slightly extended stock looking aluminum steering wheel for the 1-1/4 inch setback on the seat.
IMG_5371.JPG

No they are not. A typical member weighs in the hood of 5-3/4 Lbs. This aluminum type weighs 3 lbs shaving almost 3 Lbs off the stock piece in the process.
I'm not sure what Hemi-itis is up to with such mid plate. The trans needs to be supported in the rear for sure. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.
Spoke with my trans god,he laughed at me and said the midplates are up to 90 thou,and you need a rubber mount.I cut my GM friend a little slack.His 71 camaro goes 9.6 on motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back