• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight saving mods......

I think I'd paint the front-end.
Believe you me, I've been on the fence about the repaint for some time, but after getting an overwhelming response both here on the streets of New York and on Woodward in Detroit, I've decided to leave it as is.
I now see the logic of the look from many conversations and suggestions stating a factory experimental race car look back in 65'. After all, a host of special factory and hand fabricated parts on this pup are one of one or even rarer, one of none.

I've found the best way to remove weight is to just take the engine out! It's cheaper to operate that way too! Ha ha ha

A great alternative is walking. they say, 10 thousand steps a day is a key to better health.That played a huge part to making a lesser person of myself. A simple pedometer app on the cell. Biking also rocks absolutely!
It doesn't take much time for my back to start hurting from extended walking. I do plenty of walking etc in my shop but at least I can take breaks whenever I need to.

True to this, a lot is to be said about personal body weight and health.
On that respect, aiming to mount the drivers seat as far back as safely and functionally possible is a good way to transfer any drivers weight more rearward. It's almost like taking dead weight out of the car by managing weight placement itself. For that reason, I hand built this slightly extended stock looking aluminum steering wheel for the 1-1/4 inch setback on the seat.View attachment 375636
I would like to move the K frame forward just an inch while keeping the engine as far back as possible and moving the rear end forward an inch. A buddy did this with a Dakota and it helped that thing launch a lot better. Just about everybody places their battery/batteries and their fuel cell as far back as possible in the trunk for more weight on the rear but I want to move everything as close to the middle of the car as possible to help the car pitch rotate quicker. It's called the bar bell effect. The further out the weight is on the b ar, the slower and harder it is to rotate the bar.

Believe you me, I've been on the fence about the repaint for some time, but after getting an overwhelming response both here on the streets of New York and on Woodward in Detroit, I've decided to leave it as is.
I now see the logic of the look from many conversations and suggestions stating a factory experimental race car look back in 65'. After all, a host of special factory and hand fabricated parts on this pup are one of one or even rarer, one of none.
IMG_4192.JPG

This is a Hemi-itis photo and as one can see, the rear end is an inch or so forward without too much tattle tail. Engine is almost 2 inches back in the chassis, hidden from view
909.JPG
. Note the AFX bubble windshield to assist in aero tactics compared to the flat stock shield on the drastically altered wheel baser in the far lane.

Last time I had it on the 4 way scales and mentioned the results on the other board, I had 3023 staring me right in the face. That's all metal/s and absolutely no Fiber glass or carbon Fiber anywhere. Stock iron block and aluminum heads. Since then I have done a few more sways of the wand and without scaling it, I'm predicting 2997 Lbs at most. With a few major tricks up the sleeves and waiting till they're finished, it will be sub 2980 Lbs for sure.

IMG_0518.JPG
Sick is an understatement, trust me.
Thank you though. I never thought sick would be a bragging right. LOL.
Just to keep from repeating, that front bumper you see is made out of 304 thin stainless. Weighs under 8 Lbs. Like said, there are tricks inside tricks that are beyond tricks. One just has to micro study their respective rides and go deep with their Felix the Cats magic bag.

Last edited:
Sick is an understatement, trust me.
Thank you though. I never thought sick would be a bragging right. LOL.
Just to keep from repeating, that front bumper you see is made out of 304 thin stainless. Weighs under 8 Lbs. Like said, there are tricks inside tricks that are beyond tricks. One just has to micro study their respective rides and go deep with their Felix the Cats magic bag.

IMG_0385.JPG

That's a very light car. and thinking is the key.

I did some lightening on this car. The only glass is the hood, and I have an acid-dipped one... waiting in the wings. It's all factory window glass. This had a megablock hemi, and came in at 3185...10 years ago. I know I can knock 150-200 more, without any real cutting. I haven't gotten around to light-weight fasteners and other tricks. Drilled axles, and light-weight suspension stuff would really help, also. I'm building another car...and that'll probably a little heavier. We'll see.

6z0lrt.jpg

next....
2myxpja.jpg

Last edited:
I remember thier was a lightning CNC process for the megablock.Any remember who was doing that? How much does it shave off?? My engine should be out soon,,,,,,

Auto Transport Service
Back