• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well here we are again mother nature is trying to kill FL again!

Really bad news....their main airport is under water....difficult to get any air support there now.

Load up a couple of these babies with supplies

8e717877-1dd6-490c-ac1e-0eb7c5c8f4f6-large16x9_IMG_03641.jpg

I'll thank you not to attribute words to me that I neither spoke or wrote.
This is a direct verbatim quote:
Actually, after reading what I just wrote there, you can pretty much guess where I draw the line on the topic, eh?
A prime example for me is how hundreds of $Millions/$Billions get spent rebuilding New Orleans every time a hurricane wipes 'em out - even though entire chunks of that region are actually BELOW SEA LEVEL.
I mean, come on already - you don't want to risk losing everything in a flood, then don't live BELOW SEA LEVEL, right? Make sense?
If you choose to do so anyways, that's fine - but understand you're doing so at your own risk, not anybody else's - yet we go in there and spend away, time after time anyways, knowing damn well it's gonna happen again in the future.
Taking ALL FEMA relief efforts and ALL rebuilding expenses OUT of the "equation" the equation that is the decision about whether or not to live in New Orleans, or about an hour north where I live now-where there is NO flood protection, and I am aware of the fact that the raised (appx 5 feet off the ground) house I bought has flooded before, and the lot I bought 2 1/2 blocks off the beach on the Mississippi Gulf Coast was available for a great price ($30k) in what once was a desirable location because of apocalyptic flooding, as evident by the SLAB being all that is left of the house that was there, taking ALL of that into consideration, and not depending on ANY "relief" other than my flood insurance coverage, well you see what my wife and I decided. So did both of our parents, and her 2 brothers (one lives next door to us).
The ONLY way we can afford to have made those decisions is the National Flood Insurance Program, which reduces what I assume would be the cost of insuring both of the properties that we own. Insurance for us is NOT cheap, I think it's around $3k/year, but it, like most insurance, is worth it for peace of mind. Do other people in areas that are much less likely to flood help to subsidize the cost of our insurance? Probably. We pay EVERY year, but the only time we have EVER made a flood insurance claim was after Katrina, and ours wasn't that much because our house we lived in at that time missed flooding the primary residence by 1/4 inch. There were 3 areas that did flood, but not the main slab elevation. So we are subsidizing our own flood insurance, and the cost for others when we don't make a claim.
My point is that I don't count on ANY "relief" after a flood other than what I pay for with the National Flood Insurance Program, but if the cost of that insurance was not offset, well only the UBER wealthy would be able to build and live where my and my wife's families live, and that would be a damn shame!

Last edited:
So overall we did fine here ! The poor Bahamas took the brunt of it! I have to nail one fence picket back on and get rid of a few tree limbs ! We didn't even realize it was here at 1am I asked wife when the stupid storm was getting here ! We looked and apparently it was already here for an hour !

So overall we did fine here ! The poor Bahamas took the brunt of it! I have to nail one fence picket back on and get rid of a few tree limbs ! We didn't even realize it was here at 1am I asked wife when the stupid storm was getting here ! We looked and apparently it was already here for an hour !
Glad to hear you all are OK

Were ok. Back at home just some palm leaves and stuff blown around. The inter-coastal is a little high but not as bad as Matthew. Oh yeah, prayers for the Bahamas!

Horrific Reports From Bahamas in Dorian Aftermath – A Topography Changed Event…
Posted on September 6, 2019 by sundance
Steve Harrigan reports from Abaco Island in the Bahamas as search and rescue efforts continue. The scale of the devastation is incredible; everything is gone, and worse yet the topography has changed removing the ability of deep water ports to be used in/around most of the northern Bahama islands. The anticipated death toll is expected to be dramatic. [Disturbing Content]

The duration of Hurricane Dorian has changed the underwater topography making access to the Island communities even more difficult, if not impossible. The Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency and the Royal Bahamian Defense Force have warned all ocean vessels to stay clear of the Northern Bahama islands.

The equipment needed, and the fuel to make the equipment operational, is not able to reach the Islands because the underwater topography has changed. Deep water channels and port routes need to be remapped. Most previous ports in/around the Northern Bahamas are no longer feasible for use. What used to be deep water is now shallow water.

harrigan-abaco-island-bahamas.jpg

Air crews from the U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Military are working under the authority granted by the Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency and the Royal Bahamian Defense Force to reach as many island residents as possible. However, the mass delivery of tonnage is severely limited by the inability to open the airports and use fixed wing carriers.

Large ships cannot port, and hovercrafts are needed to avoid the issues with topography changes. All coastal maps are essentially useless around Abacos and Grand Bahama Island. Near shore navigation is currently impossible for large vessels.

This recovery effort is going to be complex and long duration.

bahamas-2.jpg

As of Friday at 9 a.m.:

Coast Guard crews have rescued 205 people in the Bahamas since Hurricane Dorian began.

The Coast Guard is conducting air operations based out of Andros Island, Bahamas. Seven MH-60 Jayhawk helicopters and five MH-65 Dolphin helicopters are conducting search and rescue missions, area assessments and providing logistical support.

Port Condition Zulu is in effect for the Port of Savannah and Brunswick, Georgia.

Port Condition Zulu is in effect for the Port of Charleston, South Carolina.

Eight Coast Guard cutters are staged near the Bahamas ready to engage in Hurricane Dorian response efforts.

For their safety, the Coast Guard advises mariners to not attempt voyages into the Northern Bahamas until further notice due to the devastating effects of Hurricane Dorian.

The Government of the Bahamas is currently assessing its northern ports and harbors to determine if they are safe to enter. There is a high risk of debris in the water, sunken vessels, and destroyed or missing aids to navigation and pier facilities. There is also a risk of chemical spills and changes to the topography/hydrology in ports and marinas from the prolonged winds and storm surge of the Category 5 hurricane.

The Coast Guard is supporting the Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency and the Royal Bahamian Defense Force, who are leading search and rescue efforts in the Bahamas.

If you are in a life-threatening situation and need assistance, call 911 or 919 in the Bahamas, or call the Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency at 242-325-9983 or the Bahamian Emergency Operations Center at 242-362-3895 or 242-362-3896.

During Port Condition Zulu, no vessels may enter or transit within ports without permission of the COTP. All vessel movements are prohibited, and all ship-to-shore operations must cease. (link)

bahamas-1.jpg

Bahama's look like a bomb went off
& took all the houses, dwelling, trees etc. out...

crazy scene

nowhere for them to go, especially the poor
you can't really get away on an island
unless you leave way before it starts
if you can afford to, be able to get away, that is

even Sean Connery lives there, stayed thru the whole storm
he was devastated by the destruction too

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back