• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went searching the woods for a pair of fabled Mopars today {pics}....

Seventy

Banned
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
OK, so I recently started my mopar project and I am finding out that I need a good amount of parts for a car I thought I didn't need much for. So everything is $50-$100 minimum, need a heat switch $150, need a ash tray $50, pair of vent block plates $40, and thats just the dash board... Not to mention I am now searching for a couple harnesses I swear I already owned! That sucks... I am going to be honest here, I built many chevys and it was much easier, lol...

So my father is a Mopar man and he had some of the parts I needed in plastic bins in his basement {seems a lot of mopar guys have parts tucked away for a rainy day}, while I was over there searching my father said to me "I have a couple roadrunner/sats at my friends house", I was like "WHAT, since when?" he told me they have been there for about 20-25 years, lol, I of course asked when the last time he seen them was and he said in the 80's when he put them there, lol!!! So I said they are probably not there and asked him when the last time he talked to his friend was, he said a long time, and I asked him when he last talked to his friend about the cars was, he said the day he put them there!!!

So I said "give him a call", he of course replied that he had no idea what his number was, to save my some typing, after about 10 more minutes of me asking questions he said "its only 40 minutes away lets run over there", so I was game, and we hopped in my truck....

We get there and I know the place, I was there a lot when I was a kid, he sees his old friend and they start chatting back and fourth, what seemed to be 2 hours went by and he finally asked, "hey, member them cars I put up the back there, did you ever move them", and then it happened, the answer to the legend of if these cars still sat back there....

He replied "Yah, they are still back there, do you know where they are?".....

I was shocked, granted there is a lot of land there but you let someone store cars on your property for a couple decades with out touching them, lol????

I will agian skip ahead in the story because there was a lot more talking, a half hour later me and my father are walking throuugh 5 feet tall pricker bushes, 7 minute rash brush, weeds, grass, trees, just a jungle of growth, I was ready to give up and hire a hellicopter when I heard my dad "Found them!!!" and there they were, a 69 and a 70, lol, one has a 440 and the other a small block, I got my ash tray, my heater and the 70 has a nice harness I can use some of the plugs off , I am going to go back for that and I need the regualtors for the quarter glass, which is also in good shape!!!

I am going to bring my skid steer over there this week and pull them out, I may just take the parts i want and leave them where they are, or I may put them on the trailer and tow them home if it seems worth it... I have to say we had a fun day, I may wake up with poison ivy and I did get stung by a couple bees today, but I will go back, I may be covered in pink lotion but I am going to go back there and get the rest of the parts, there are some other good parts too, taillights, grilles, bumpers, etc, the cars are well rotted, BUT not as bad as I thought they would be, I thought I would see the earth swallowing them up, but where they are parked is covered by trees and the ground is very dry, they are on the top of a hill so that may have helped.... My father still has the paper work to the 2 cars, so they could be redone, not that it would be worth it by any means, lol...
These pics are after I cleared them out a bit, lol!!!!

FullSizeRender%2034_zpsr43ugqbn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FullSizeRender%2035_zpsloi7nt4u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FullSizeRender%2036_zps467hck9y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FullSizeRender%2038_zpszsdx6ku5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FullSizeRender%2037_zpsnjaqinx3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very cool,take lots of pics! There is a group here,they call themselves debbris auto! They scour the woods looking for cars and parts.

Makes for great talk on websites.

I still have a '66 Satellite at a guy's house, that I have not seen since 1988.

THAT is amazing that you were able to find the cars at all. Nature is sure in a hurry to reclaim the metal.

Last edited:
I think that the most astonishing part is that your dad actually found them. He must be part bloodhound!

Man those were well hidden. Great story. Looking for more pictures after you get your machete out.

Man those were well hidden. Great story. Looking for more pictures after you get your machete out.

Same here. Appears to be a bunch of restorable trim on at least one of the cars. I'd be digging them out of there and salvaging everything I could. Parts, especially the small, seemingly insignificant ones, are plenty valuable.
Keep us posted!

We are getting some rain and then tomorrow is going to be in the 90s and humid, but as soon as the weather is straightened out I am going to load up the skid steer and head over there. I also could not believe he found them, I will take some more pics of the entire field, it is HUGE. He told me they would be easy to find because he parked them on top of a hill between 2 trees, WELL we get there and theres 50 hills with 1000 trees, lol. After getting stung a couple times and having pricker bushes rip my pants open {as well as my skin} I was ready to give up for sure...

I will definitely take more pics. the cars aren't as bad as I thought, the 440 turned when we pulled on the belts, I figured it would be locked solid but it turned a bit, he blocked the exhaust and intake with sheet metal before he parked it...

Great story. Amazing they were still there! Dig them out!! :headbang:

Take the property owners a nice bottle of Whiskey as thanks for the storage.

I'd definitely determine their true condition.If they are too far gone, then make them look like the turkey the day after Thanksgiving.

Congrats Seventy & good luck with them

cool story thanks for sharing...
hopefully you can get allot of the parts you will need

sad really, looks like mother earth was reclaiming them for sure,
too bad they weren't known about or dealt with 20+ years ago

BUT you can't save them all, but parts of them could live on in another project too

get a tetanus shot...LOL

Happy Moparing

- - - Updated - - -

Makes for great talk on websites.

yep !!

Cant wait to see when you pull them out how many usable parts are left.

great story! if you look at the drivers side view mirror that has fallen off from rust, i can imagine what the rest of the car would look like, but still would love to see them after they're pulled out!

Auto Transport Service
Back