• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a difference 8 hours makes.....

I had a company from NC come and take down my barn built in 1832. 36 foot 12x12 beams of rich chestnut.

Love old barns. There are people in Indiana that buy old barns for the wood, some are reassembled into houses. Look at RC’s house.

Future site of a barn find

Not sure about a "future" find in there, but found this one in there about 15 years ago.

Correction: It was 18 years ago. :realcrazy:

Stored in Barn.jpg

Wouldn't that be e-razing???
Nice work, I would love to have an old barn like that!
I cut my teeth on autobody in my neighbors garage which was an old barn converted into a garage, really love the old beam barns.

I cut my teeth on autobody in my neighbors garage which was an old barn converted into a garage, really love the old beam barns.

I agree with you, I love them too. But, it needs a new roof, new siding, repairs to the foundation, misc. other issues to fix. Then after spending all that money, I still have a building with small undersize doors, low ceiling (lower level) unsealed to varmints/critters, a hill to contend with in winter to access upper level, unheatable due to no insulation, and a lot of unusable space in upper level for my needs.

I can build a new building that is more suitable for my needs for HALF the price of saving this one. Just can't justify the cost of saving it. :(

Yep, this barn is 130 years old and has a LOT of nice big beams of various hardwoods in it. Can you send somebody down here to take it down for me?

1880's
View attachment 614076

View attachment 614077

Inside 2014
View attachment 614078

I just happened upon this tread... while I've been watching Barn wood builders on Discovery Channel. That's what they do on the show is re-purpose old barns, cabins etc etc.

Those old barns are popular again. If it were me, I would try to save it... but I have a thing for old buildings. However if you don't want it then let a professional take it down so they can re-purpose the wood.

Those old barns and buildings are going a way at a rapid rate. It's a shame.

Good luck with your new shop. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Way past time to have updated this thread, but better late than never.

All the windows are now installed and the trim is finished too. Next step was to install the entry and overhead doors. Pic shows one door still unfinished, but they are actually both done now, just haven't taken an updated photo yet.

P7050067.JPG

P7050063.JPG

So, what kind of floor is it going to have?

Auto Transport Service
Back