• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a difference 8 hours makes.....

I guess the last update I did was the inside concrete work, that's been over a year now. I've done some more work since then so here's some new progress photos.

Added a 32' x 24' apron outside - May 2019
P5100082.JPG
P5100084.JPG

Spray foamed the inside to seal up and stop all wind penetration and drafts. This added about an R7 insulation value to the walls.

August-September 2019

P9130081.JPG
P9130102.JPG
P9130104.JPG
P9130105.JPG

I wanted to do a pole barn construction for my shop when I was looking to start building but in my area they are only allowed to be built with 75% of the exterior covered, and then no insulation. So had to do traditional concrete foundation and framing....turned out fine and very happy with it.

Very nice set-up....Congrats on the continued additions and improvements. Only R7 insulation...I had to put R24 in my walls and R52 in my ceiling...we get a tad cold up North....;) Will the R7 provide a decent insulation to keep your shop warm over the winter?

Over the winter I put up a ceiling so that I could blow in some loose fill fiberglass insulation up there later this fall. Thought I had photos of that, but can't find them. Can't believe all that friggin' time up in the air on the scaffolding and I didn't take any photos. :wtf: Anyway, I've got a full ceiling now ready to insulate later when it cools off some.

You can see the ceiling in this photo even though this was taken later on.

P1010011.JPG

For most of June and up through today, I've been further insulating the walls and installing the finish metal panel walls. Using 4' and 5' wide fiberglass rolls to fill the wall cavities with an additional R19 of insulation then covering with the 5 rib steel panels. Walls will now have an R value of about R26 or so.

Its coming along nicely, but still a lot of work to do yet.

P1010001.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010005.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice set-up....Congrats on the continued additions and improvements. Only R7 insulation...I had to put R24 in my walls and R52 in my ceiling...we get a tad cold up North....;) Will the R7 provide a decent insulation to keep your shop warm over the winter?

You beat me to it, I was still typing. Walls are R26, see my post #69 for more details. Thanks!

I wanted to do a pole barn construction for my shop when I was looking to start building but in my area they are only allowed to be built with 75% of the exterior covered, and then no insulation. So had to do traditional concrete foundation and framing....turned out fine and very happy with it.

Wow, wonder what the reasoning is for the 75% only thing? Guess that would be a little too drafty for my tastes. :screwy:

Hey Missile, where you get your big floor fan? Looks like good one, all I can find around hear are cheap noisy junk.

Wow! What a big job. Looks great and I'm jealous. Very nice work and I bet your sense of satisfaction is climbing daily...

Hey Missile, where you get your big floor fan? Looks like good one, all I can find around hear are cheap noisy junk.

Well, I thought I got it at Lowe's several years ago. But checking their website I don't see it there. Its not a real high dollar fan but it wasn't exactly cheap either. It was well over $100 as I recall. 30" oscillating, 3 speed, adjustable pedestal. Big motor and all steel construction (including blades) which is what I was looking for among other criteria.

Wherever it was I got it, it has been working very well for several years. Much better than the one I didn't have before this one! :)

Wow! What a big job. Looks great and I'm jealous. Very nice work and I bet your sense of satisfaction is climbing daily...

A big part of the satisfaction factor is knowing the $$ savings I'm getting. I was quoted over $15K for this interior insulating and finish work from a reputable pro contractor who does this stuff all the time. I am going to be at about HALF that cost when I'm done, PLUS I spray foamed to stop air penetration that the contractor wouldn't have done. So should be a much tighter building when I'm finished.

Of course the contractor would have had it done much faster than I have been able to do, so there's that trade off too. But yeah, as much as it wears me out daily working in this heat and humidity, there is a nice sense of satisfaction and knowing HOW the job was done.

Had my basement ceilings and walls done and the garage walls with the spray foam stuff. Big differences.

A big part of the satisfaction factor is knowing the $$ savings I'm getting. I was quoted over $15K for this interior insulating and finish work from a reputable pro contractor who does this stuff all the time. I am going to be at about HALF that cost when I'm done, PLUS I spray foamed to stop air penetration that the contractor wouldn't have done. So should be a much tighter building when I'm finished.

Of course the contractor would have had it done much faster than I have been able to do, so there's that trade off too. But yeah, as much as it wears me out daily working in this heat and humidity, there is a nice sense of satisfaction and knowing HOW the job was done.

I hear ya, and knowing the job was done RIGHT!!

On my shop I had the big stuff done by a contractor, concrete work and the framing, then I did almost everything else myself other then the drywall...hurt myself at work so couldn't risk doing it. ;)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back