• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What brakes on a Dana 60?

RS23VOA

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
Anyone can post about this but i'd like to get responses from you guys with original cars. My 70 GTX is 440 6bbl, 4 speed with power disk brakes. What rear brakes should i have on my dana? 11" finned or 10" smooth?

My Dana has 11" finned, but I can't say if they're original because the car came with 8 3/4 originally.

My Dana (not original to the car) has 11" finned. My 68 RR is an original disc brake car and has 10" in the rear (8.75"). According to the factory info disc brake cars got 10" rear drums so it would seem the type of rear end won't matter.

I though the Disc brake cars came with the 10" rear drums, and the 4-wheel drum cars (R/T, GTX) had the 11" drums?
Both my R/Ts have the 11" drums all the way around.
I'm looking at Disc brake conversions for future upgrade.

My GTX is an all original 4 speed with front disks, and Dana with 11 x 2.5 finned drums.

Update
mine is a track pack option 3.54 rear gears

Last edited:
I have a nice set. There's a guy at Carlilse who may have some. He'll set up behind the grandstands by the bathrooms.

This subject was covered recently on "Grave Yard Carz" by legendary Mopar Guru Mark Worman.

Perhaps someone can copy the youtube URL for educational purposes?

I'm currently "off-site", unable to post it.

The Trak-Pak had specific options.
The 8 3/4" was used on certain cars.
The brake set-up was covered in this episode.

Helpful

I am "the guy by the bathrooms at Carlisle" --- spots H107 - H108 --- and I will have the 11" x 2 1/2" Rear (Finned) Drums -- but call and reserve some -- I can only bring so many.... they are HEAVY!!!!
I also might have some N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake shoes --- I have a handful from a recent asbestos shoes purchase -- but some are already spoken for -- have to total them up and see if I have any more for anyone else!!!! Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York.....
Chryslers @ Carlisle is "around the corner" now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back