• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Cam for my setup

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
looking for some guru help here. trying to decide on a cam for my 64 plymouth with a 383. really want a lopey idle and good "light to light" fun. probably will never take it to a drag strip but want it to feel like it has balls! Engine is nothing crazy but here is the build:

stock 383 bottom end,
906 heads (no port work but may come later)
edelbrock performer RPM intake
holley 750 ultra dp
1 7/8" dougs headers
msd ignition
4 speed
29" radir cheater slick
4.10 gear
RPM range: 1500-6000 (fun street range)

some of the lunatti voodoo setups look good to me but open to suggestions. I would love the performance and sound of a solid lifter but the hydraulic low maintenance seems too good to pass up. not willing to go roller.

I'd say 272 duration mopar 455 cam.

Meep meep my uncle he went 12s with it in his 440 and said it was a tire frier. Just put one in the r/t but they are on backorder

My 500" motor came with a Comp XS274S solid. 236*/242*@.050 .502/.511. This was much too small for the 500" motor, I'd think would work well with 383. A similar hydraulic would probably do well also. Pocket porting the 906 heads is worth a lot. Good luck.

I prefer solid flat tappets with adjustable iron rockers like crane or the older iskenderian. I don't run hyd. lifters on performance engines that I build but many do.

My 500" motor came with a Comp XS274S solid. 236*/242*@.050 .502/.511. This was much too small for the 500" motor, I'd think would work well with 383. A similar hydraulic would probably do well also. Pocket porting the 906 heads is worth a lot. Good luck.

Pocket porting is definitely on the agenda. Kind of scared to take the Dremel tool to my heads as I've never done that before!

I prefer solid flat tappets with adjustable iron rockers like crane or the older iskenderian. I don't run hyd. lifters on performance engines that I build but many do.

I don't think my engine will really be a huge performer but 400hp would be nice. I hope that's possible with my combo

I would look into a Howards "rattler" cams, these are the guys that make the Hughes Whipflash cams. but the have 3 more grinds to choose from.

if you have power brakes, id stick with a moderate Lunati Voodoo grind

I would look into a Howards "rattler" cams, these are the guys that make the Hughes Whipflash cams. but the have 3 more grinds to choose from.

if you have power brakes, id stick with a moderate Lunati Voodoo grind

No power brakes so I'll have a look at these rattlers. Do you have experience with these?

Yeah, in a small block ford 302...sounded bad ***, but at 9-10 inches of vacuum, and my truck with power brakes, i ended up putting a Lunati Voodoo in, one size small got me up to 14 inches, brakes were much happier

My setup is similar.. less gear, no 4spd, and I have power brakes.. I'm running a comp xe274 with stock rocker gear.

What valve springs do you have and are you planning on swapping?

Are you keeping the stock rockers?

What cam do you have now?

First thought, in agreement with mentor70 is a Howard's rattler cam on a 109 ls.

If you don't have power brakes, carb with 4 corner idle adjustments and I'd guess low 8.5:1 compression you'd be a pretty candidate for one.

Last edited:
My setup is similar.. less gear, no 4spd, and I have power brakes.. I'm running a comp xe274 with stock rocker gear.

What valve springs do you have and are you planning on swapping?

Are you keeping the stock rockers?

What cam do you have now?

First thought, in agreement with mentor70 is a Howard's rattler cam on a 109 ls.

If you don't have power brakes, carb with 4 corner idle adjustments and I'd guess low 8.5:1 compression you'd be a pretty candidate for one.

I didn't build the 383 that is currently in it so I am only going off what the previous owner told me. He said it was a "mild" cam. no idea what brand it is. my rocker gear is all stock and im not really interested in changing it. He mentioned that the compression was closer to 9.5 or 10:1. I appreciate the video clip, its always nice to hear it on a walk around.

I believe it is a mistake fueled by ignorance to buy a camshaft for sound. The reason engines have that sound is because they are not efficient at low engine speeds (aka idle). Making a conscious choice to hobble the package strictly for sound is akin to unplugging a spark plug or two in order to get that nasty sound.
In terms of a mild 383, I like the Comp XE262 or XE268, or the Crane H-272 (pn683941). I'm installing a 262 in the 383 on the stand now (mild street, completely stock with HP manifolds and a 6bbl in a 4sp A body). For a solid flat tappet I'd go Comp Magnum 270S (pn21-246-4). The solid will have a noticeable idle. Also be aware that because your engine is pre-'68, you will need to replace your pushrods with '68-up B wedge pushrods - so hydraulic or solid you need pushrods. Also make sure the springs are upgraded to match your camshaft - whatever you choose.

I believe it is a mistake fueled by ignorance to buy a camshaft for sound. The reason engines have that sound is because they are not efficient at low engine speeds (aka idle). Making a conscious choice to hobble the package strictly for sound is akin to unplugging a spark plug or two in order to get that nasty sound.
In terms of a mild 383, I like the Comp XE262 or XE268, or the Crane H-272 (pn683941). I'm installing a 262 in the 383 on the stand now (mild street, completely stock with HP manifolds and a 6bbl in a 4sp A body). For a solid flat tappet I'd go Comp Magnum 270S (pn21-246-4). The solid will have a noticeable idle. Also be aware that because your engine is pre-'68, you will need to replace your pushrods with '68-up B wedge pushrods - so hydraulic or solid you need pushrods. Also make sure the springs are upgraded to match your camshaft - whatever you choose.

don't get me wrong, i'm not purchasing purely based on sound. the main importance would be performance but if it can go hand in hand with sound that's a plus. if it comes down to it, performance will trump sound any day of the week. as i said further up, im hoping for 400hp+ but this is my first engine build (or upgrade i guess) ever so all your input is much appreciated. I contacted the guys at Comp cams and they suggested the 21-230-4 (230/236 @050, 488/501 lift, 110lsa, 1800-5600 rpm range).

OK - sorry sound's a touchy subject with me...lol.
I think the Magnum I suggested would have more of a telling idle than the XE series. Hence the call there. I've run the Magnum 268H and it made great power, and had a noticeable romp to it, but was still good enough to pass the idle sniffer testing I had to go through at the time. The XE solid will probably idle smoother.

Auto Transport Service
Back