• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Tree removal is very expensive. I paid about $1000 for removal and stump grinding of a 40 year old, diseased Silver Maple tree last summer.
I have over 12 trees tagged to be dropped, 7 stumps that need grinding along with the ones they drop, cut out the dead and bring up the canopies of the others. He said your better of using our daily rate of 4500, we'll do all that in a day. I was ecstatic to say the least as the 3 I really want dropped and was guessin about 5K just for that, so his was a much better deal. And he said I can have all the wood I want, as they just take back to the yard and burn it. After getting my fireplace put back into commission, I'll take all the wood I can get!!!
It's like a sore dick, you can't beat it!
Here's 3. The middle one is growing into the garage along with the lean. A hidden woodpile is in there too.
P1010883.JPG

A different woodpile. My neighbors cattle lot.
P1010885.JPG

P1010887.JPG
P1010888.JPG

There're others to the right, this is out front.
P1010884.JPG

Last edited:
I have over 12 trees tagged to be dropped, 7 stumps that need grinding along with the ones they drop, cut out the dead and bring up the canopies of the others. He said your better of using our daily rate of 4500, we'll do all that in a day. I was ecstatic to say the least as the 3 I really want dropped and was guessin about 5K just for that, so his was a much better deal. And he said I can have all the wood I want, as they just take back to the yard and burn it. After getting my fireplace put back into commission, I'll take all the wood I can get!!!
It's like a sore dick, you can't beat it!
When I first moved here there were no trees but during the 38 1/2 years, I've taken out most of the arizona ash (which grows fast and is getting old at 25-30 years) and all but one pine that's going to be somewhat difficult. Just about everything left is water oak and live oak. The water oak burns decent, not hard to split and can even cook with it but the live oak smells like crap to me when burned and it's very difficult to split. It's dense so needs a longer dry time too. My allergies are getting worse and worse so stopped burning the fireplace several years ago. Most of the wood that's cut these days are for the smoker which is mostly pecan and the rest goes for the burn pit.

I took down a cottonwood tree 2 years ago.
Well, I had a tree guy fall the tree, I cut it up and hauled it away. The tree guy did me a good deal...$300.
I spent another $300 in dump fees plus the cost of renting a stump grinder.
Rather fell the tree and let someone else do the cutting and clean up lol. Felling is easy if you know what ya doin.

Falling the tree requires experience and skill. Cutting and hauling is more manual labor and a strong back!

Falling the tree requires experience and skill. Cutting and hauling is more manual labor and a strong back!
I have the skill and experience. Started 38 years ago. My wife burned 4 'true' cords one winter and did that before the the weather started getting warm. always had at least 3 cords on hand for the winter. Yeah, it doesn't get that cold here but she liked the make the fireplace roar! Ran the central heat very little over the years. Had a heatilator in the fireplace too. Haven't cut much in the past several years and sold the majority of the wedges I had to another member here. Still have a couple along with the splitting maul and a decent double blade axe even though never used the DB axe all that much. The old chain saw still runs good. It was bought in December of 84! Carb work once and a jug/case gasket once along with a few bars and several chains....can't believe it's still running. The thing has cut a group of trees in those years.

The 3 trees in a row by the garage are pecans, the others are oaks and hickories. What type? I don't know, I didn't realize that there's like 15 different hickories, same with oaks. One of them is all hallowed out and I'm sure it's a wildlife habitat tower but it's gotsta go! I got shitloads of tinder & kindling, I just need some fuel wood, I hope to get a couple cords out of the deal?

Worked on….my garage art! I’ve had the NOS 60s vintage Union 76 tire stand for 5 years. I got 2 of them NIB at an estate sale for $30 (yes, I stole them). Been looking for a “reasonable” tire since then. I’m cheap, ain’t paying ~$200 tire, then $100 shipping from fleaBay.

Then on Monday while visiting my father in law, I stopped by an antique store. Found this beauty for $50, mounted on a rim with a cap. F78/14.

D650DD9C-A07D-4B79-A784-8BEFB1839348.jpeg

I’ll clean it up and maybe paint it argent. I need to find an earlier fratzog dog dish, then I can display it.

Finally got a larger oxygen bottle from a buddy that gave it to me and I sold my little out of date one for 80 bucks. Nice to have something that I can heat stuff up again.....like chicken noodle soup etc. :D The 'new' one is one size up but that's ok as it fits the bottle cart like the old one did. Would have to modify it for the bigger and larger OD bottles. Actually sold the old one today of all days.

I replaced the keyboard palm rest assembly on my garage laptop that required complete disassembly of the guts. No more sticky keys!

IMG_2713.jpg
IMG_2712.jpg
IMG_2714.jpg
IMG_2715.jpg

Received a big long box of rubbers yesterday.....less than one week from San Diego to New Zealand.

Things are looking up.

That includes ordering & processing time.....ordered late Thursday night my time, and received Tuesday morning.....that is impressive.

:xscuseless:

View attachment 1370350
At least your feet will stay dry! How the heck do you drive with those things?

That sucks!
It certainly does, double what last years first fill was on price/liter. If I don't keep a fireplace going full time I'm going to see that bill about every three weeks! When I built this place and moved in in '97 the usual 3 week fill was about $380.

It certainly does, double what last years first fill was on price/liter. If I don't keep a fireplace going full time I'm going to see that bill about every three weeks! When I built this place and moved in in '97 the usual 3 week fill was about $380.
My fireplace doesn't draw like it should and if there's a 15-20 mph breeze from the north, it blows smoke into the house and with my allergies these days, I can't handle it anymore. My fireplace chimney is on the south side of the house and it's lower than the roof ridge line and well, that's not a good combo.

Five years ago I quotes to take down a 150 foot towering poplar, which sends out shoots/runners as tall as they tree.
The biggest guys in the city quoted 4200.00 our dollars. Price went down from there. Family Tree gave us a quote of 1150.00, there were lower quotes, but some customers had complaints. Two years ago we decided to get the job done. I called Family Tree explained that I had the old quote and knew the price would be more, but wanted them to do it. He asked for the quote number which I gave him. He said we will honour that price.
They had to climb and top it because they couldn’t reach it . I also asked them to prune our 44 year old silver maples. That was another 300.00. We decided to pay 1600.00 because they were so nice, work was excellent.
When he gave me the invoice, I said are you related to Keven Mourre? He said he is there Dad. Keven worked for us for a few years in the early 80’s. Then they told me he was suffering from early dementia, hardly recognizes anyone.
So goes life.

Took a little time to take pictures of my garage progress doors are ordered 6-8 weeks arrgh!

20221014_013755.jpg

Theresa and I went drinking and dancing last night with friends. For over 95 years, the St. Louis Casa Loma Ballroom, a landmark of entertainment in St. Louis, has provided a wide range of popular music and dancing. It has one of the largest “floating” dance floors in the Midwest at 5,000 sq. ft. Offering the music of such greats as Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, The Harry James Orchestra, the Dorseys, and Bill Haley and the Comets.
Last night we saw the Fabulous Motown Revue. I love old Motown music and they can get 1000 people up and dancing till you drop. The place is a blast and we had a great time!!
1669561186864.png

1669561422712.png
20221126_220427.jpg
20221126_212153.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back