• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

My "remove the built in hot tub and turn the screen porch into a cat porch" project is seriously dragging.

Besides not really having a good plan to anchor the 1x2" mesh "rabbit wire" on the existing aluminum screen frame studs...

I found out the floor has had a layer of "river rock" applied at some time, possibly as built, and then had outdoor carpeting glued over it.
It's a royal PITA to remove. The glue is too strong to pull up with bare hands, necessitating cutting 3'x4' rectangles which basically ruins a utility knife blade.
Then pound-scraping the river rock. WAY too bendy/stoopy to kneel/squat and swing a heavy hammer onto a wide chisel then move six inches and do it again...
...so I drilled a receiver hole for a heavy, solid 4" chisel in a 4 foot section of 4x4. Now I can stand, and the momentum of the 4x4 does some of the work.
Still sucks and I can only do about 20 minutes before I am winded.
I basically have to do it because there's no river rock where the tub was.
Two 3x4 rectangles done, about 20 to go.
The porch is 11'4" x almost 36' long!

20230308_170725.jpg

20230308_170750.jpg

20230308_170741.jpg

But wait, there's more....

We have french doors leading to that porch, but only a single screen door from the porch to the back yard, and it's offset.
It sure would be nice of- A: they lined up, and B: the screen door was double.
That project would involve concrete sawing through the 3 course knee wall and moving a section over to fill in where the existing screen door is.
...and fabricating a frame for two standard screen doors to be used as a pair.

Whew, I'm tired and all I did was think about it.

The week before the FL Melbourne show, one of the hinges on my truck cap broke- what timing!
(Warning this may actually be "working on my Mopar")

Not a super easy part to find. I found similar but not exact and they were $79- ouch. The cap was free.

Just so happened to have a marking where I would have drilled and tapped to install an external brace-
20230218_134910.jpg
20230218_134901.jpg

20230218_134945.jpg

So that's what I did-
20230218_135012.jpg

20230218_135537.jpg

20230218_140047.jpg
20230218_140224.jpg

Last edited:
Part II-

Nice and weather resistant aluminum, and the pre-drilled holes were actually already in the right place!
(that's the "other side of Murphy's law" thing coming back to me again)

It was a little "flexy" so I decided to JB Weld a captive nut in.
Also crazy that the void in the plastic is the perfect place for that nut, and the web actually keeps it from turning!
20230218_140249.jpg

20230219_160042.jpg

Ta-da-

20230219_160038.jpg

Nylon screws also weather resistant.

Total cost $12.

Speaking of the Melbourne show.....

On the way I passed a classic car sales lot.
Stopped in to take a peek at what they had.
Interestingly almost everything was priced at $22,500.

The winner and from what I saw, one of the best condition vehicles they had, was this 65-ish Canadian Pontiac.
Not sure how to verify authenticity, but it seemed to be the "ss" equivalent "invader" model.
I've seen acadians before but not an invader.
20230304_165110.jpg

20230304_165123.jpg

Something else I noticed was that with the exception of a small handfull (including the acadian), none of the paint and bodywork on any of their cars was as good as the $2500 paint job on my Satellite!

This 72 Charger was also 22.5K Kind of a stripper with AC like my Satellite but was a WH car (Sat is a RL).
If that's the going rate for a 318 car, then mine must be worth 35K at least!

20230304_165614.jpg

20230304_165548.jpg

Also interestingly they had not one but three porche boxters, and they were all "only" 12K!

Been cleaning out my trailer and advertising some 'stuff' on FB marketplace (no car parts). Now that the prairie dogs are gone, I'm cleaning out cages etc and selling it. Sold the last of the big cages last week but still have a small one to advertise yet along with a pet wheel. These wheels are 15" and sell for more than 100 bucks plus shipping. At one point, I had 3 of them but one of them I made. Also have some stuff left over from the neighbor's storage shed purging a couple of weeks ago that needs to be checked out and advertised or junked. So far most of it looks pretty good. It's crazy what some people throw away.

What happened to your 'dogs?

Helped the Wife carve some angel food cake into the best 4 that we could for #1 Son's 40th surprise party today. Where do the years go? Also means that I click 61 in the days to come...
20230311_135601.jpg
20230311_160256.jpg
20230311_161214.jpg

In Florida yet, working that repair job, and went to look at some hurricane shutters for sale, at a local garage sale. I bought one, but saw these for sale there, couldn't pass them up. An older Gent that couldn't play any more, so I picked them up, along with an electric, and acoustic guitar, and a banjo, which i always wanted to learn. Now I just have to get them back home to WNY...

16785870826503473011100874030924.jpg

Is that an MGFX100?

I just saw one at Guitar center, priced reasonably.

I was tempted.

What happened to your 'dogs?
Lost one of the 3 about 1 1/2 years ago then lost another last May. That left Peaches and she got lonely. Even though they liked to be pet and held etc, they still bond with the others and I saw the signs of depression setting in so I rehomed her to someone that I've known for years and has several PD's. She even drove 500 miles to pick her up and she said she fit right in and saw a big change as in happy to be in her new environment. Still having a bit of a hard time over it all......just wish she wasn't so far away but I know she's ok and is happier.

I watched my wife clear the snow off the front decks and steps, while I was out taking care of the rest.

Joan.jpg

Ordered more parts so I can work on them some more
While I was hiding in the garage drinking beer

I cleaned out a foot of snow up at the lake today.

A0E00787-6139-488A-B62E-B9A46F03EB81.jpeg

9ABFFDD5-CBCE-4BE7-9E8A-3AA5AEBDBF9D.jpeg

One thing I’ve never seen is wind blown snowballs on the lake, but they were all over the lake.

5E646F7C-E8A2-48C6-9B35-860B5324AB1A.jpeg

Is that an MGFX100?

I just saw one at Guitar center, priced reasonably.

I was tempted.
Not sure what they are ? An older couple had a garage sale, and wanted to get rid of a lot of their items, no longer used. If you're near Ft Myers, let me know, I'll be selling them, and would prefer not to transport them home.

Twenty some odd years ago I built a hydraulic press, I spent less than Harbor Freight gets for their bottle jack press & it's got allot of things that make it more useful, an 8" throat, floating ram, table adjustment is with a crank handle...

Anyway probably fifteen years ago I scored a little power unit, then I scored a bigger cylinder & a few control valves....

This week I finally took the time to modify & rework the press.... It still can be operated with the hand pump for precise control but now it also has a electric power unit so it's better for jobs that require longer travel of the ram...

IMG_7755.jpg
IMG_7756.jpg

Honestly, I'm old enough I really don't need a press capable of what this one is capable of... But I've gathered the parts on the cheap... I had everything but the hoses and a few fittings & I hate leaving projects un-finished...

Last edited:
Kinda "not working on my car" but installed dash camera in my 15 Challenger, PEOPLES' DRIVING AROUND HERE GETTING WORSE!! Can't judge closing rate of on-coming traffic when pulling out of side streets!!
Cleaned interior then went to work, 7p-7a shift.

Kinda "not working on my car" but installed dash camera in my 15 Challenger, PEOPLES' DRIVING AROUND HERE GETTING WORSE!! Can't judge closing rate of on-coming traffic when pulling out of side streets!!
Cleaned interior then went to work, 7p-7a shift.
I need to get a camera too! About 6 months ago some girl changed lanes and got me. Almost no damage to my old beater but the rear tire got her front fender and I figured since the damage was so minor we didn't need to call the cops. I'll never do that again. And I actually did a little bit of work on my car :D.....did some welding is all but have been mostly doing yard work and cleaning out my trailer. Spent several hours looking for an edger motor to take to my grand son. It's apart (just because I could) and he likes putting things together. I have never liked putting something together that someone else tore apart lol. Will be visiting him today then will be cleaning up the 'clean room' in getting ready to do another rear end gear setup for someone. At least it's an 8 3/4 but I still can't hardly pick up a compete chunk anymore without pulling something....

Speaking of the Melbourne show.....

On the way I passed a classic car sales lot.
Stopped in to take a peek at what they had.
Interestingly almost everything was priced at $22,500.

The winner and from what I saw, one of the best condition vehicles they had, was this 65-ish Canadian Pontiac.
Not sure how to verify authenticity, but it seemed to be the "ss" equivalent "invader" model.
I've seen acadians before but not an invader.
View attachment 1430463

View attachment 1430464

Something else I noticed was that with the exception of a small handfull (including the acadian), none of the paint and bodywork on any of their cars was as good as the $2500 paint job on my Satellite!

This 72 Charger was also 22.5K Kind of a stripper with AC like my Satellite but was a WH car (Sat is a RL).
If that's the going rate for a 318 car, then mine must be worth 35K at least!

View attachment 1430466

View attachment 1430465

Also interestingly they had not one but three porche boxters, and they were all "only" 12K!

That Poncho looks suspiciously similar to the chevyII from those years:D:rolleyes:

Auto Transport Service
Back