• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Early birthday present for my daughters Charger, hope she’ll be surprised when she comes over Sunday

2791598C-8C8A-48D4-945A-18E260A5D21C.jpeg

A friend and I host a whiskey tasting once a month. That's what I did this afternoon. 3 ladies learned a lot and had some fun.

20230325_171022.jpg

20230325_171044.jpg

Last edited:
Put 48 miles on that Sporty on another "get acquainted" trip.
Learned it really does want to be at 25 for 2nd, 35 for 3rd, and want's to be in first for a rolling turn.
Confirmed 5th is not advisable below 48 MPH. Over 50 is better.
Getting more comfortable with the weight and balance. All good.
Gas light came on, put first gas in. 3.8 gallons in what I think is a 4.3 gal tank.
Supposed to get 48-50 MPG, so half a gallon "reserve"- no switch, just the light.
Not good to run EFI out of gas anyway.
Learned it has "trip A and B" and learned how to set the clock.
Going to use A for gas and B for oil.

Bought a $20 "new but been on the shelf so long it rusted and molded" fork bag from a small local repair shop.
Cleaned up pretty good. Pics coming. Now I don't have to carry my phone in my pocket!

Bought a shiny black helmet at Salvation Army. Couple minor wear scuffs but still smells new.
Marked $24 but was 1/2 off day. YAY.

Bought a "poor man's cruise control" palm throttle thingy- $11 at local "everything but Harley" dealership.
Who ever invented that was a genius!

Went to the Harley store and saw their $75 fork bags, $90 helmets, and $40 palm cruise tabs.
They got some damn nice new $30-$35,000 bikes, though.

Went to mailbox and pulled out my vintage F&S Harley shirt from the city I grew up in.

s-l1600.jpg

It only took 40 years.

Lower element in oven burnt out on my Whirlpool stove. Not like it was 20+ year ago, unplug it plug in a new one noooo! Unplug stove remove panel in back unplug element. Had to remove door because when assembled with screw gun very tight. There's a pan covering lower element. These screw were in the back corners. Would never have been able to loosen if they were phillips head had 2 square drive option. You need to move pan to rear of oven PITA! Then remove 2 more over tightened screws. Now reassemble that wasn't to bad even putting door on was to bad.

Since I am laid up with a bad back right now and, I have read the complete world wide web lol, I started looking for things I don't really need.

1680124879174.png

I wound up purchasing this low miles 2014 Challenger SRT CORE. Surprisingly, just as I would have optioned it if I had ordered it myself. I will have to see if I can get a "Kowalski" personal plate.

Just working out the logistics of picking it up and importing it to Canada.

Oh, I guess I decided I really needed this.

Since I am laid up with a bad back right now and, I have read the complete world wide web lol, I started looking for things I don't really need.

View attachment 1441645

I wound up purchasing this low miles 2014 Challenger SRT CORE. Surprisingly, just as I would have optioned it if I had ordered it myself. I will have to see if I can get a "Kowalski" personal plate.

Just working out the logistics of picking it up and importing it to Canada.

Oh, I guess I decided I really needed this.

Congrats.

No Reserve: 822-Mile 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6-Speed

Accessorizing the bike.....round I-

Throttle rest-
20230325_180736.jpg

"Fork bag" during and after clean up-
20230325_173155.jpg

20230325_180731.jpg

You can barely see underneath it, I mounted a quick release TV bracket to the rear seat bolt, to keep the bag from sliding around on the fender paint.
Worked perfect. Perfect angle, and hole the right size and in the right place.

Last edited:
Planed some wood while I was at the shop-

20230326_171102.jpg

Stopped by the scratch and dent pet supply place and spent $100 even.

20230326_144355.jpg

In the cart is-

3x 33 pound bags of bio-degradable, flushable litter ($39 ea retail) plus an 18 pound bag ($32 retail)
2x 22 pound Iams cat food ($38 retail)
1x 22 pound bag Purina selects ($37 retail) plus a 16 pound bag ($32 retail)
1x 14 pound kitten chow ($16 retail)

By my calculations that's $347 of value for that $100.

Pus no tax charged as they are a 501c3

SCORE. We were gettin low on litter.

Accessorizing the bike.....round II-

Bought used genuine HD extended quick release pass backrest bar and rack, plus 2 sets of mini-footboards as I'm not crazy about the factory pegs (big feet size 13).
Did not come with the QR mount hardware but they are cheap and I've ordered them.

Failed to install any of them. I thought I could use the extended backrest and luggage rack with the existing sissy bar, but no-oo, the QR bar is almost 2" wider and mounts outside the trim.
STRIKE ONE.

Not sure why, but H-D decided to make the peg mounts different on a small handful of bikes including the 2010-1019 Sporty (custom model only) and IIRC 2 other 2-3 year models.
One of the female mount ears is longer, making "standard" peg male mounts not work.
I have to buy adapters for the boards I bought, but at least they are available.
I could have ground either the adapter that came with the boards or the female mount of the bike, but couldn't bring myself to do either.
STRIKE TWO.

I have a QR saddle bag mount kit coming and some hard bags with 6x9 speaker mounts (just in case).
Wanna bet they don't "go right on"?

Hopefully that's the end of the H-D accessory rabbit hole for a little while.

Bought this hat from the clearance rack at dollar gen-

20230327_202411.jpg

As many of you know, the wife and I sold our home (and shop) back in July and have been traveling the US in search of the next place to buy/build. That being said, this was our view for the last six weeks as we took a short break from our search at New Smyrna Beach. It is nice down here but it is too hot and too expensive for our taste. We leave tomorrow heading north again only to pause back in Michigan before heading west to see what we can find out there. I would rather be working on cars but I have to admit, this time with the wife has been a lot of fun! We met a lot of nice people and saw a lot of interesting places.

IMG_9315.jpg

IMG_8811.jpg
IMG_8681.jpg

Most places in FL that are a bit further in from the coast are a LOT more affordable.

...and you don't have to go too far inland.

heck, if you do go too far, you'll be too close to the other coast!

Most places in FL that are a bit further in from the coast are a LOT more affordable.

...and you don't have to go too far inland.

heck, if you do go too far, you'll be too close to the other coast!
The down side to Florida is there's only one way out when a hurricane comes in....unless you are inland and have a hurricane proof house and shop or at least one that was withstand sustained 120mph wind. Need a shelter too for tornadoes but that's advisable where I live too. Made it this far without that but sure didn't like staying here during Ike! Only left twice over the years and those storms weren't nearly as bad as Ike but the wife didn't want to stay. Royal bitch with the traffic unless leaving at the last minute but doubt that will work these days. Can't remember the name of the storm but waited until the last minute to drive out and the roads were totally empty but that was over 20 years ago.

Atlantic coast folks have I-95 plus they can go inland.

Gulf coast folks have 75 and can also go inland.

There's also 17-92/17-98 that goes diagonal SW to NE and 441 that goes diagonal SE to NW.

...and some ancillary roads like 27 on the East and 301 on the West, plus US-1 on the East.

We're almost right in the middle and a cat 4 or 5 at the coast is almost never any stronger than a cat 2 by the time it gets to us and is usually down to a cat 1.

Recently Ian and 2004 Charlie were worst case scenarios for us, with the shortest possible path from landfall to our house, and went almost directly over us.
Besides a fairly large downed tree from Charlie, neither did damage to our house other than some rain gutter issues and a missing roof tile or two.
Street flooding, but nowhere near the foundation level. Loss of power for a few days and loss of water for a few more.

Auto Transport Service
Back