• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Stay safe!

Oh yeah, its that time of the year. I get everything ready and staged for the wife and shes on her own during the storm as I am essential at work. Gotta keep the lights on for public safety.

Hurricane! Stock up on toilet paper!:D

More work on the new shop. Sprayed more foam insulation on inside walls. Now have to add the fiberglass batts and button it up with the interior metal panels.

...I worked on my sister's car instead.... :lol:

As submitted to the Australian Ford Forums.....

2004 Ford Territory bonnet release.
First of all....I replaced one today for my sister - her car...my problem. That's what families do I guess.

Brother-in-law helped. Just under 3 hours to replace the cable and put the car back together.

What sort of demented brain-dead custard-eating porch-monkey designs this crap???? I mean, how the hell are you supposed to actually get that body grommet back in place without dismantling the entire dash assembly?

No problem, I used my cable snake and a roll of electrical tape. But what a frigging drama, and totally unnecessary to design (I use that word loosely) something so simple into a maintenance nightmare of extraordinary proportions.

After removing the front wheel,, and undoing all those stupid Christmas Tree clips, you can actually see how carefully FORD laid that cable in a twisted fashion around the front end wiring loom. Undoing the bonnet release catch was fun....idiot on the production line must have used a scaffold pole on the end of his torque wrench to set that bastard up. Unnecessary again.

Pulling the fuse box and body panels are challenging enough with all the interfering items, like the mile and a half of cable for the added on Bluetooth power supply that some local Auto-Sparky thought he was clever in doing had done. Probably charged way too much given that it was such a mess.

So finally after 3 attempts to pull the new cable in, managed to fluke it through the double-skin into the interior of the car. I am still concerned at the tight curves the cable must take in it's very limited space for a route...but the bonnet releases easily and smoothly...so I'll take that as a win.

This all started when a "Service Technician" at a local agents garage pulled too hard on the release and broke the plastic handle. No admission of liability or guilt...even though the handle was dangling around the floor upon collection. Typical punkawallers.

Anyway, it's all fixed up now, and all together again, even if it does need a body screw in it now to prevent the release handle from pushing forward under spring tension....try as I might, it was impossible to get all that springiness out.

Thanks for reading.
:mob:

For the benefit of readers here - bonnet = hood

20200802_142746.jpg
20200802_142751.jpg
20200802_142754.jpg
20200802_142802.jpg
20200802_142818.jpg
20200802_142820.jpg
20200802_142825.jpg
20200802_142846.jpg
20200802_142847.jpg
20200802_142906.jpg

Also about got knocked off the thing when I tried to move a low hanging limb up and over me as I mowed under it but dang live oak limbs don't move so easy. Moved it up but it slipped out of my hand and got me in the head....and that hurt! lol.

Kinda like this?

First of all....I replaced one today for my sister - her car...my problem. That's what families do I guess.

Brother-in-law helped. Just under 3 hours to replace the cable and put the car back together.

What sort of demented brain-dead custard-eating porch-monkey designs this crap???? I mean, how the hell are you supposed to actually get that body grommet back in place without dismantling the entire dash assembly?

No problem, I used my cable snake and a roll of electrical tape. But what a frigging drama, and totally unnecessary to design (I use that word loosely) something so simple into a maintenance nightmare of extraordinary proportions.

After removing the front wheel,, and undoing all those stupid Christmas Tree clips, you can actually see how carefully FORD laid that cable in a twisted fashion around the front end wiring loom. Undoing the bonnet release catch was fun....idiot on the production line must have used a scaffold pole on the end of his torque wrench to set that bastard up. Unnecessary again.

Pulling the fuse box and body panels are challenging enough with all the interfering items, like the mile and a half of cable for the added on Bluetooth power supply that some local Auto-Sparky thought he was clever in doing had done. Probably charged way too much given that it was such a mess.

So finally after 3 attempts to pull the new cable in, managed to fluke it through the double-skin into the interior of the car. I am still concerned at the tight curves the cable must take in it's very limited space for a route...but the bonnet releases easily and smoothly...so I'll take that as a win.

This all started when a "Service Technician" at a local agents garage pulled too hard on the release and broke the plastic handle. No admission of liability or guilt...even though the handle was dangling around the floor upon collection. Typical punkawallers.

Anyway, it's all fixed up now, and all together again, even if it does need a body screw in it now to prevent the release handle from pushing forward under spring tension....try as I might, it was impossible to get all that springiness out.

Thanks for reading.

View attachment 982944 View attachment 982945 View attachment 982946 View attachment 982947 View attachment 982948 View attachment 982949 View attachment 982950 View attachment 982951 View attachment 982952 View attachment 982953
I’m with you brother! Two weeks ago I replaced the passenger front turn signal housing/lens on my wife’s Ford Escape. I had to remove the entire front fascia clip to get to it. 4 hours to remove it and another 4 hours to install the lens assembly and reinstall the clip. Yikes!!! This would have been a 10 minutes job on any of my old Mopars!

There are 2 blatantly obvious problems with that repair:
1. Brother in law
2. Lack of adult beverages
:lol:

Thanks for reading.

View attachment 982944 View attachment 982945 View attachment 982946 View attachment 982947 View attachment 982948 View attachment 982949 View attachment 982950 View attachment 982951 View attachment 982952 View attachment 982953

Thanks for reading.

She should get an Audi next time. :poke:

Thanks for reading.

Might have something to do with that 4 letter word on it.....

I would respectfully request to disagree with you there.....but I won't red X you. :lol:

Request denied, but thank you for not shattering my frail psyche.

:rofl:

Sorry... all I've done for the last several days is work on my vehicles... Oh, and cater to 3 new kittens in the house. Cats don't have owners, they have staff.

Haven't done much besides some yard work for the last couple of days and now my back is bothering me even more! It's just now feeling better but we'll see how that goes when I get up in the morning. And the throttle cable broke on my 20+ year old weed eater. Ordered a new one that's supposed to be here on Sunday (?) but not sure if I even want to bother with it. It still runs good though....

Finally took a brush hog to the back field... Cutting in a 100 yard rifle range. I got tired of hauling my gear elsewhere. Next step... a big-*** pile of dirt.

20200806_170055.jpg

Went to Safari PArk in San Diego with my brother and his wife. All outdoors of course but we had to wear masks the whole time. Almost felt like a normal day..... except the masks

Mowed the grass. Cleaned the donkey's hoofs. Fixed hole in fence where the chick o lickins have been escaping and wandering into the road. Grilled two big T Bones and heated up a couple of fresh ears...

Restoring this Serro Scotty Camper 1974 model. 4th one in the last 2 months.

IMG_0979.JPG

Restoring this Serro Scotty Camper 1974 model. 4th one in the last 2 months.
Sold the other 3.

IMG_0977.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back